Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shatnez Checking
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 4:26 pm
Was wondering what people do -

check all? nothing? some things?

We check suits, jackets, things which list wool on the label.

seems you can't rely completely on the label as not everything has to be listed

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 5:31 pm
Any outerwear or jacket/suit that says wool could very well contain linen even if not listed. So then we wait till someone goes to Toronto or New York and have it checked. But for polyester suits the cheaper kinds. If no wool is listed why check Confused

Tovah

Post Sun, Jun 26 2005, 8:57 pm
I check anything with wool, but I think your suppose to check a/t with a mix material?

queen

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 12:04 am
on the topic of shatnez, I remember learning how severe transgressing this commandment is- even if one wears shatnez BY MISTAKE, none of his tefilos, while wearing those clothing are accepted.

supermom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 7:06 am
that is harsh!!

queen

Post Mon, Jun 27 2005, 8:03 am
supermom wrote:
that is harsh!!

not sure harsh is the correct term as that conotates a negativity against the issuer.

The point is rather to show the severity of wearing clothing before it is checked.

Meema2Kids

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 9:42 pm
I have a couple of wool things I need to have checked for shatnez, but there is no one locally who can do it. Does anyone know of a place I can send these items to be checked? (I am in the midwest so somewhere nearby probably would be best)

proudmom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 9:46 pm
Ask you local rabbi

SV

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 12:04 pm
I was told to check anything that contains wool or linen (even if 100%) and anything that says "other fibers". The only things I told you DON'T have to check are 100% wool sweaters without any embroidery (sp?) and 100% wool skirts made in USA (even with lining).

I also heard that the tefillos of someone wearing shatnez are not mekabel. shock

miriam

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 5:31 pm
Do the Montreal clothing factories check their clothing before selling them?

raizy

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 11:09 pm
yes they wouldnt be caught dead selling a item that has shatnes in it. actually one factory sold shatenes item and then realized that it was shatnez and put out big signs etc notifieng the public.

if they would be caught selling shatnez that would be the end of their business. pple wouldnt buy from them anymore.

miriam

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 11:36 pm
So, does that mean we don't need to check clothing from the factories?

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:22 am
my friend came to me and told me this story- it happened erev yomtov:
she went to a heimishe store in brooklyn, bought a suit for her little boy (age 8 or so) which was made by a heimishe company in montreal. she had other stuff to be checked for shatnes, and for some strange reason brought this "100% polyester" with her. (she has never checked a polyester suit before and has no idea why she did so now). the rabbi took one look at the suit and said "spangly!? there is a major problem with the spangley suits. there are linen threads and wool threads woven into the "100% polyester" fabric. it is 100% shatnez!!! and not fixable either.
so I guess everything should be checked!!

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 12:25 pm
are we supposed to check children's clothes (babies? kids under age of chinuch? bar/bat mitzvah?)?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 12:44 pm
shanie5 wrote:
my friend came to me and told me this story- it happened erev yomtov:
she went to a heimishe store in brooklyn, bought a suit for her little boy (age 8 or so) which was made by a heimishe company in montreal. she had other stuff to be checked for shatnes, and for some strange reason brought this "100% polyester" with her. (she has never checked a polyester suit before and has no idea why she did so now). the rabbi took one look at the suit and said "spangly!? there is a major problem with the spangley suits. there are linen threads and wool threads woven into the "100% polyester" fabric. it is 100% shatnez!!! and not fixable either.
so I guess everything should be checked!!

Do you know in what part of the fabric the shatnez was found? (suit fabric, lining interlining etc.)

Maybe Yael could add shaatnez alert updates to the other kashrus alerts! We'd really appreciate that.

willow

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 1:52 pm
My husband said that in Yeshivah before the yomim tovim there was a sign that you have to check your ties for Shatniz.

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 5:03 pm
the shatnez was woven as part of the fabric of the jacket and pants themsaelves.
this suit was for an under bar mitzvah child, but I dont know about checking all their stuff

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:04 pm
613 wrote:
are we supposed to check children's clothes (babies? kids under age of chinuch? bar/bat mitzvah?)?

Why wouldn't children's clothes need checking? We wouldn't ch"v give them treif food to eat, the effect on their delicate neshamos is even greater than adults; shatnez too is harmful.

Actually, I remember the Rebbe once spoke a sicha to the children before Rosh HaShana , at a Tzivos Hashem rally in 770, and said since many parents buy the children new clothes for YomTov, they should make sure to check it for shatnez. ( I think the daily Rambam then was about the mitzvah of shatnez.)

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 5:22 pm
For anyone else who is looking for this information. I sent mine to:

Shatnez Lab
203 Lee Avenue
Brooklyn NY 11206
718-387-8520

I mailed my items and received them back (100% kosher too!!) in one week - from what I've heard this is typical.

SMG

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 6:29 pm
If you're in the midwest or near there, try the AFTA lab in Chicago
773-764-4488
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions