Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shatnez Checking
Previous  1  2

Chanie

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 7:59 pm
I worked for a few months in a montreal factory and the place I worked gave in garments to be checked before putting them into production.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:37 am
I was trying on a sale skirt (I almost never buy anything wool or silk or needing dry cleaning or special care).....

and realized that it was WOOL and LINEN.

That's shatnez, right?

I wasn't sure if I should even be trying it on, but I had to know if I liked it, if I wanted the shatnez taken out of it.

What do YOU do?

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:41 am
I don't think I ever saw a label with both wool and linen.
Usually the linen is in as "other fibres."
What's funny is that sometimes when I chk the label of a skirt it says wool/laine which is the french for wool! I always get nervous.
I take my stuff to be checked and the man who checks told me that sometimes the price to remove it can be really high especially if it is intertwined - if it is in the lapel of a suit jacket, it is easier and therefore cheaper. Personally if I ever saw something w/ wool and linen both listed, I wouldn't even buy it!

chen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 12:59 pm
as far as I'm concerned, if I see wool and linen on the label (which I have seen on occasion), it is tref and doesn't come off the hanger. you can't tell by looking whether it's just a matter of something like a linen interfacing on the collar, which can be replaced, or whether the fabric itself is a blend, in which case the whole thing is a brocho levatolo. why bother?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:04 pm
Oh, wow. Glad I asked!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:16 pm
is it ok to wear linen top and wool skirt? not woven tog. but creating outfit...

hisorerus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:25 pm
Yes, it's fine. It's only a problem if they are attached.

mir11

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:44 pm
you should ask a rav about it. I remember learning that it might be a problem, even if it's not attached.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:44 pm
Thank you so much! for some reason my dh talmid chacham wasn't sure plus I'm out of school like forever and shulchan aruch didn't answer my question. so thanx!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:47 pm
O.K. so now I get 2 conflicting answers?? I too, remember something like if it's a shirt and jacket and worn tog. --Oh, I don't know! I know you are not allowed to take off 2 items together, but since women do, it's like one piece.

My concern is linen pants and wool vest for child under 13, but I want to know the answer even thought he's under age.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 6:04 pm
My understanding is shatnez d'rabbanan is only if the two items are worn directly on top of each other--in other words, a linen shirt with a woollen vest would NOT be okay, but a linen shirt with a woollen pant would be. Likewise, a linen jacket with a wool skirt is fine, but not with a wool blouse. But again, this is just my understanding; I'm no expert.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 7:40 pm
That's how I've learned it also.

Blossom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:08 am
I went to the Shatnez labratory which someone mentioned
203 Lee Ave. in Williamsburgh
There was a green jacket hanging there with a sign on it "This women wore this jacket for 1 whole year befoe looking at the label"
I look at the label and guess what it said????
50% Wool 50% Linen shock

I saw it with my own eyes otherwise I'd have a hard time believing it LOL.

Blossom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:11 am
Baby and Childrens items have to be checked just as well.

There has been found shatnez in many different children items.
One of them which I remember offhand now is GIESSWEIN

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 5:34 pm
when I was sewing our outfits for my sons bar mitzvah, I had the fabrics checked since we were combining different ones. the rabbi who checks said the one I thought might be linen didnt look like it. well, I decided to start on them and as soon as I finished the first, he called and said-it is linen, and another oiece I used was wool. I then had to take apart the outfit, buy a new piece of fabric and resew it again! I would prefer to start from scratch than do it again!!

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 5:41 pm
Once we checked a jacket and it was shatnez and the guy told my dh don't drape it over your arm to carry it cuz thats considered wearing it too. Also they have shatnez oven mitts hanging on display.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 10:47 am
Fascinating that in the Mishkan/Beis Ha'Mikdash, the kohen gadol's avnet (belt) was wool and linen, I.e. shatnez.

was looking around google and found this -

know one of the reasons give for the prohibition of shatnez?

Quote:
The Ramban cites the Rambam in Moreh Nevuchim to explain the reason for this prohibition. It was well known that the clothes that the sorcerers used to wear when they were performing their black magic were made out of wool and linen. Their activities were performed for the sake of their idols and demons. The Torah wanted Klal Yisroel to distance themselves from idolatry and therefore prohibited the wearing of clothes that contained wool and linen. The Chinuch uses a similar analogy to explain the prohibition.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 11:33 am
btw - many times it is the interfacing that causes shatnez
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions