Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Opinion on Sharona

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:03 am
If my baby is a girl, we want to name her in honor of my aunt who passed away last year...

Her Jewish name was Yenta, which I know she hated and would have been very unhappy at the thought that the name was being used.

Her English name was Yvette Sharon and she went by Sharon.

So while I know that Sharon is actually a Hebrew name, I prefer the derivative of Sharona (also she had a rather sad life, no kids, never married, lots of health problems...)

We are "modern Yeshivish" (yes, yes, lets not go into the whole labels thing), so in the end my question is do you think that the name Leah Sharona would be cause for odd looks?

Thanks

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:04 am
I'm not into the name Sharona...
Definitely wouldn't use it in Israel- people would probably ask if its after ariel sharon...

technic

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:05 am
I like it!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 1:52 pm
Leah Sharona is nice. I would use something close to her Jewish name personally, if not the real name.
Or what about a translation? something meaning "noble"... or even something meaning good like Tova...

purplegirl

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 2:21 pm
It's a beautiful name!
I have two friends nameed Sharona, and it brings up wonderful connotations Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

B'shaa Tova!!!

cdawnr

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 2:38 pm
Ruchel...

What is the meaning of Yenta, I never knew there was a translation...
Just so I have another option to mull over.

(We have decided that we are not using any Yiddish names, so it would have to be translatable into a Hebrew name. MY dd is Elisheva Shoshana, the Shoshana is for the Bluma of my grandmother's name)

Thanks

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 2:39 pm
cdawnr wrote:
MY dd is Elisheva Shoshana, the Shoshana is for the Bluma of my grandmother's name)

Mind if I comment and say thats just a drop odd... (Not in a bad way...)
My little sister is Elisheva Vered, the Vered being named after a Rose.

cdawnr

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 2:47 pm
breslov wrote:
cdawnr wrote:
MY dd is Elisheva Shoshana, the Shoshana is for the Bluma of my grandmother's name)

Very Happy Hmmm. I like that too.
BTW, on your comment about Israel and being mistaken for a kavod to Ariel Sharon...my son's name is Avraham Ephraim BARAK...everyone asked me if that was after Ehud Barak, I nearly choked as that is NOT my political leaning. I was like, ummm, no after Barak in the Tanach, ya know!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 2:55 pm
cdawnr wrote:
Ruchel...

(We have decided that we are not using any Yiddish names, so it would have to be translatable into a Hebrew name. MY dd is Elisheva Shoshana, the Shoshana is for the Bluma of my grandmother's name)

Thanks

Yenta comes from old French "gentille", which meant "noble". In modern French it means "good, nice".

I thought of translating names into Hebrew because people would identify them better... so I thought of Tova Yona for dd's 2 and 3 names... but the first name had no Heb. translation, so we sticked to Ladino & yiddish... I personally like the idea of keeping the same name, even if it is a bit weird lol

cdawnr

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 2:40 pm
thanks for the info and for the opinions

baseballmom

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 2:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
cdawnr wrote:
Ruchel...

Thanks

Yenta comes from old French "gentille", which meant "noble". In modern French it means "good, nice".

I thought of translating names into Hebrew because people would identify them better... so I thought of Tova Yona for dd's 2 and 3 names... but the first name had no Heb. translation, so we sticked to Ladino & yiddish... I personally like the idea of keeping the same name, even if it is a bit weird lol

I have heard of people using Tova, Naama or Neima when naming for yenta

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 11:44 am
I just noticed this post- I don't know if it is too late or not, but my name is Sharona and I love it.

Mishie

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:36 pm
I think the name Sharona is very pretty! Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 1:50 pm
Thank you!

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 3:49 pm
breslov wrote:
cdawnr wrote:

my grandmother was called Raisha which means shoshana, well my sister is named for her and called shoshana.

breslov what are you planning familly names or breslov names??

my youngest is Nosson Eliyahu, dh goes around telling everyone he's named for a breslov rov, I'm like no way for my mom's grandfather!! he can't argue on that cuz the grandfather was also Nosson!! I call him Nossele for short!!

oh and my other sister's middle name is Yetta. well she hates it so we go by Yudit her first name. at least I like both my names!!

and my eldest is Moshe Nissan also interesting combination.

and a great grandmother called Breindel!! and Hendel and other yiddish names that I idon't remember off hand not that I plan to use them all!!

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 2:30 am
miriamnechama wrote:
breslov what are you planning familly names or breslov names??

Neither. Wink
Actually, one family name is somewhere on the list, and one breslov name. But not top choice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names