Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which baby wrap? Input appreciated!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:16 am
I am due in a few weeks and would like to get a baby wrap so I can wear my newborn around the house. My other babies were really colicky and never stopped crying. I hope that wearing this one will make a difference. I see moby, boba, baby ktan, and others...

What is the difference?

I am looking for a soft stretchy wrap that can be worn all day. I want it to have easy instructions and be able to tie in different positions for different size babies. I want it to be good for a newborn up until at least a one year old.

Any input appreciated! Thanks!

GetReal

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:21 am
I love my Moby. It can be tied different ways, and my babies really feel like they are being held and calm down. It's saved my sanity.

I have used it for older babies too but since it's stretchy, when the baby gets too big, it stretches after they are in it for awhile and gets uncomfortable for me. I got a Babyhawk for this reason. The babyhawk can be used for newborns too but I never got the hang of how to secure a newborn properly in it Sad Next baby around I will IYH figure it out. It is a little easier to just do the straps then the whole wrapping on the Moby. But the Moby is so flexible and soft around the baby Smile

These are the only ones I have tried so I'm sure experts will weigh in here with other choices!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:29 am
I like the Mei tai type, but they aren't always the best. I have a Chibuki that's amazing, but she's not making them right now. I can find out if there are any available. It's the best I've experienced.
A wrap that has minimal stretch is good. There are online videos of the various ties.
A Baby Bjorn is easy, but bad for your back and baby's back and hips.
You can go to a fabric store and buy 3 yards of cute material. it needs to be cut lengthwise to make it less bulky.

bandcm

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 8:53 am
The Moby is good once the baby is in but a massive pain to tie. And then when the baby is taken out you have to unravel the whole thing. I have a newborn but rarely wear her because the wrap is such a pain.

chavs

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:01 am
Stretchy wraps are great but I wouldnt recommend them up to a year. What you could do is go for a stretchy for the first few months and then move unto a woven wrap, they are very versatile and you can do back carries with them as well, which I've fond helpful when I had a clingy little one and wanted to hoover.
Btw for instructions Youtube is your friend.
You could also try a hybrid stretchy wrap which would last you significantly longer than a regular strechy https://wrapsodybaby.com/produ.....brid/

I personally always used wovens from nerwborn as I found them very versatile and lovely to use. My husband uses both wovens and our Ergo and a mei tai. I like how supportive the woven is. It has a steeper learning curve but are so supportive and cozy.

If you have a sling library near you going to try different wraps and carriers might help.

sv123

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:01 am
I love the baby ktan! It's really easy to put on and held the baby really well. I didn't use it past 3 months though, not because I didn't like it, but just out of convenience.. My baby found ways to entertain herself so it wasn't needed as much. It's a great carrier though!

rowo

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:09 am
A woven wrap - same idea as the moby wrap, but can hold a toddler.
Because the moby is stretchy once the baby gets too heavy it's not so comfortable.
A good woven wrap can comfortably carry a big toddler - or even more

chavs

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:16 am
Moby is supposed to be a good stretchy as is Victoria Sling lady (although that might be specific to the UK).

Ergo, Connecta, Lenny lamb, Manduca and Tula (never heard any complaints about Tula) are good structured carriers. Perosnally I'd go to a sling library to try the different ones to see which you like better as some have more padded shoulders or thicker waist bands and its a matter of personal preference. If not see if you can rent one to see how you get on, if not go for the look or read reviews.
With some of these you'll need a newborn insert and I dont remember which arent suitable from newborn so have a look out for that too.

Napsack baby is a great mei tai, but I wouldnt use a mei tai with a new born although if you choose to go down that route you can cinch the bottom so it doesnt over spread baby's legs.

Didymos is a great woven, Storchenwiege is great too (needs some breaking in), Fire spiral is wonderful and perfect but a bit more costly. There are lots of wonderful wovens out there. With a woven I almost always try to buy used as they get softer and lovelier with age. To me they are a great investment, can last for years and most can be resold for the price you bought them.

As always when wrapping your baby remeber the T.I.C.K.S rules safe babywearing:

T – Tight, The importance of a sling or carrier being tight is to hold a baby safely against the wearer, it supports the spine in a straight-upright position and stops baby from falling out of the wrap or carrier accidentally.

I – In view at all times, Seeing your baby at all times allows you to be constantly monitoring your child’s breathing and general demeanour, you will have the ability to make sure the chin hasn’t dropped and they are happy. You will also be able to check temperature and feeding cues.

C – Close enough to kiss, This is greatly important also, as the lower the child the less you will be able to tell about your child, placed in an upright position you should be able to lower your head and kiss the top of babies head, if you are unable to do this, then it’s advised your re-position your child higher.

K – Keep chin off chest, if your child is tight, in an upright position and spine is curved with legs in the squat position the likelihood of the chin dropping is unlikely, this is the most optimum position for safety, development and comfort. The rule of thumb is a child should have a gap of roughly 2 fingers width underneath their chin.

S – Supported back, the tightness of any carrier will be crucial in the support of a babies spine, it’s also important not to over tighten. The carrier should be tight enough to keep the child against the parents body without a gap, but still have the ability to slide your hands into the carrier with ease if needed. Generally in an upright position, if the carrier is adequately supporting the spine the chin will not drop, but its important to follow all the steps carefully.
http://www.schoolofbabywearing.....S.pdf

Good luck and enjoy baby wearing:-)

sky

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:20 am
Personally the only wrap I've ever used is the baby k'tan. there are a lot of different potions the baby can be in. But there is no tying, knots and unwrapping. It is pre-sewn into the loop. I didn't have anyone to show me how to do the other wraps so I thought this would be the most easiest and it is for me.

little_mage

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:41 am
www.thebabywearer.com

dooby

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:28 am
I love my baby katan! its easier to tie than the moby...
I loved that it was easy to wash and not bulky!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics