Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying clothing for Yom Tov

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:54 pm
Society... Where I live at least, says new clothes for every yom tov.
Truth is Rambam says something about that too.
But what do people in this society do when one kids outfit could rack you $80 when u can't spend that?

My neighbor-
"So did you do your shopping for YT yet for your kids? I found a great kids store its really much more reasonable prices, you should go there"
"Really? How much is reasonable?"
I got an outfit for $40 per kid... You're not gonna find better than that"
"Um, thanks for the info (totally not happening...)"

I go to the clearance in cheapest stores, find nothing I like, and when I do its not the right sizes or only a top but no bottom that will match or vice versa but no returns if can't find elsewhere.

And I wonder, so nu, what will happen if my kids dont have a new outfit for YT?
Nothing. Besides that I'll feel a tinge sad that I don't have something nice for them that's new?
They don't fit into their one outfit I got them pesach but I have 2 shabbos shirts and 2 pairs of pants that they can recycle again and again over YT... What am I complaining about?? Societal pressure and a new outfit for little kids?? Am I nuts?
But society makes the pressure and I know I'm not the only one.
Oh and the matching... Ouch.
My siblings dress their kids sharp and to the tee don't know where they get funds go it but I don't ask yet I feel the pressure when just when family together.

But I know its narishkeit.
Stupidity.

Oh help me stop being negative.
Finances are ruining me. Blah. Happy Birthday Whistling Whistling Whistling Whistling Cheers Scratching Head Dancing

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:04 am
I was thinking exactly the same thoughts as you. Hugs! You are not alone. I should have planned better, though. I think that buying for Yom tov is really hard when combined with back-to-school shopping...

lucky14

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:53 am
I don't remember getting new outfits every yom tov. That's got to be hard if everyone else around you is getting their kids new stuff Sad With school tuitions, costs of yom tov meals, and many other costs I'm sure for lots of people new outfits for every child each yom tov is not very do-able. Maybe you can try to get each child one small special new thing? A new hair ribbon, tie, piece of costume jewlery?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 7:16 am
I don't get my kids new outfits every yom tovim. I only get when they need and my kids never cared. They are teens now. They don't know the difference.

cbg

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 7:50 am
I didn't get my kids whole new outfits every YT, but I always tried to get them something new. Shirt, tie or sweater vest for the boys. Accessory for the girls, maybe a new top, unless they really needed a new outfit. Also I shopped around not during YT time, and when I saw a deal I bought and kept for later, or next season. I also shopped in the regular stores (not frum), but this was because where I lived there weren't Jewish Stores, just mall.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics