Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Freeze knish?

coconutbutter

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:01 am
http://www.saveur.com/article/.....Knish

Enlarge
Landon Nordeman
We learned about these miniature savory knishes from Bucharest home cook and kosher caterer Silvia Weiss.
MAKES 64 MINI KNISHES
Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
6 tbsp. canola oil, plus more for greasing
4 russet potatoes (2 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 1" pieces
3 onions, minced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
Instructions
Whisk together flour and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in center and add 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. warm water and 2 tbsp. oil. Stir to form a dough and knead briefly. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Wrap in plastic and let rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, put potatoes into a 4-qt. saucepan and add water to cover by 1". Season with salt, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and pass through a food mill or potato ricer into a large bowl. Heat remaining oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add onions, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 minutes. Whip onions into potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
Heat oven to 375°. Working with one piece of dough at a time, put dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll to 1⁄16" thickness. Using a 3" cookie cutter, cut out 16 circles. Spoon 1 tbsp. of potato mixture onto center of each circle. Brush edges with egg wash and bring up edges with your fingers and seal to form a purse. Transfer knishes to 2 greased baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Repeat, filling 2 greased baking sheets in all. Bake knishes until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly; serve warm.

Is this recipe freezer friendly?

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:45 pm
Although my mother makes different potato knishes than these, she freezes them. They come out delicious. I freeze turnovers raw then bake them right before I need it

lucky14

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:56 pm
I make a very similar recipe and mine freeze wonderfully. I freeze mine baked already and just defrost and reheat (I find it so much easier then freezing them raw and having to bake them when I want them).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus