Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Paying housekeeper/cleaning lady over yomtov

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 12:06 am
How does everybody handle paying their help when they miss multiple days because of yomtov? I usually pay half.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 12:09 am
I have her come on Yom Tov same as usual and leave her an envelope with payment ahead of time.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 12:30 am
amother wrote:
I have her come on Yom Tov same as usual and leave her an envelope with payment ahead of time.

I'm referring to a situation when they are missing days.....Obviously if they are coming as usual, you would pay them as usual.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 12:38 am
When I am on vacation and do not have my lady I pay her for the time I do not need her. She has been very loyal back to me BH.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 1:29 am
I only have a cleaning lady one morning a week. She has multiple other jobs, both cleaning homes and shift work at restaurants. When I know I won't need her because I'll be away, I give her plenty of notice so she can pick up another shift. I don't pay her unless I cancel at the last minute.

She's been working for me for eight years already, so she must be OK with it.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 11:37 am
I absolutely pay my cleaning lady when I cancel for any reason whatsoever. Why should she lose simply because I have a holiday?

My grandfather, a"h, used to say, "Pay people peanuts and you'll have to sweep up the shells."

Even though payment is calculated based on an hourly rate, I think it's preferable to treat cleaning ladies as professionals whose wages aren't docked because the "business" is closed for the day.

Believe me, if I'm not getting docked for the day, my cleaning lady should be the same. In fact, given the state of my house, she should get a bonus for continuing to show up.

Smile

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 2:25 pm
I don't pay my cleaning lady for the time not worked, but I give her makeup days so she earns the same. I try to find some organizing or deep cleaning because I don't need her so close together for regular work.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 9:28 am
I never paid unworked time or made up to them.
Neither did the kids I tutored for...
Such is life. You don't cancel on her like the same day, right?
My cleaning ladies were always reliable and never abused because I didn't put myself as a friend or a shmatta.

SingALong

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 4:47 pm
I tell her a couple of weeks in advance that I'll be away/canceling hours and ask her if she wants off or should I arrange her a job while I'm gone. I know people who hire help just for yontiff so it works out. This way she doesn't lose the money she'd usually make but I don't need to pay for hours not worked. Sometimes she doesn't mind and just wants the day off. I also offer plenty of overtime throughout the year so she has other times she makes extra.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 5:05 pm
Mine has other jobs (serving meals etc) on yomtov with other families, so she makes up the money elsewhere. If she didn't, she would come to me and do yomtov appropriate cleaning, so either way she gets paid.

newmom1987

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 8:05 pm
Ruchel, people pay because this is 20% or whatever of their cleaning ladies work, and pay, week in week out, year in year out, on...Tuesdays, let's say, this is where this woman works. The cleaning lady isn't rich, and cleaning houses isn't a gig, like tutoring an hour here and hour there. I think its very nice that you guys pay.

Fave

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:36 pm
What's the protocol when you have your housekeeper work on Yom Tov. Do you pay in advance or the after Yom Tov?

amother
Green

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:45 pm
Fave wrote:
What's the protocol when you have your housekeeper work on Yom Tov. Do you pay in advance or the after Yom Tov?
I leave an envelope of money for my lady to take on her own on YT.
My MIL says I should be paying her after YT after she has done some work for me and have in mind that I am paying her for the work she has done for me after YT.

amother
White

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 7:33 am
Fave wrote:

I pay weekly on Fridays. When yontif is on a Friday then I pay Sunday. Never had a cleaning lady not ok with this.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 7:49 am
Fave wrote:

I pay the next time they come
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics