Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
One leg is longer then the other!
1  2  Next

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:05 pm
I just took my 2 month old dd for a well visit. The dr pointed out that one of her legs is longer then the other. He told me to take her to an orthopedist. I have an appointment after succos.
Anyone here deal with this? What can I expect by this appointment? And if you had a child with this what was the treatment?

etky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:32 pm
Is she your oldest?
There's a relatively common condition that they screen for here in Israel at well baby check ups, especially with first born girls. Its an orthopedic problem - some type of hip dislocation.
One of the symptoms is that one leg is longer than the other. Treatment is some sort of brace or harness.

etky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:34 pm
IIRC I was also referred for an ultrasound with my oldest and it turned out fine.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:59 pm
She's my 2nd

etky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
She's my 2nd

Being a first born is a risk factor for this condition b/c there is less room in the uterus for the developing fetus, but of course subsequent children can be born with it too.
They think it affects girls way more often than boys because of the estrogen produced by the female fetus that makes the joints more elastic.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:50 pm
Anyone have any experience with this? I was told my dd would need to wear a lift for the rest of her life

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:52 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this? I was told my dd would need to wear a lift for the rest of her life

I’m the OP.
I’m sorry. My dd ended up being nothing just a over reactive PA.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:56 pm
Thanks but my dd is 7 and she has no energy/never joins in sports, podiatrist says its uneven Legs and she will live with it for the rest of her life. She hates wearing arches and a lift. I wish there was a solution like therapy

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:58 pm
I would try a chiropractor and craniosacral therapist.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:06 pm
Anyone have a recommendation that actually worked?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:09 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

My sister had that as an infant. Tge doctor said she won't learn to walk unless she has a platform foot device. My mother said she refuses to consider putting her in a lifted shoe until she's passed the age of being a (normal) late walker. In the meantime, she got a lot of OT and PT for strength, stretching, coordination, etc. It ended up correcting itself, and she was walking normally at 14 months!!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:13 pm
I wonder if medical referral agencies like chaim medical or refuah would have any experience or advice with this.

I’m so sorry, it must be heartbreaking to watch your child have to deal with this.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:25 pm
etky wrote:
Is she your oldest?
There's a relatively common condition that they screen for here in Israel at well baby check ups, especially with first born girls. Its an orthopedic problem - some type of hip dislocation.
One of the symptoms is that one leg is longer than the other. Treatment is some sort of brace or harness.

Why firstborn girls???

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:32 pm
I have a DD with a similar thing. In her case, she initially presented with a severely bowed leg from below the knee. Her condition is constantly changing, and by two or so her leg was around 2 inches shorter than the normal one. When she was first learning to walk we put a large lift in her shoe, but honestly she would have learned to walk fine without it. Eventually the bowing became worse and she had corrective surgery at 3. The surgery purposely did not address the length discrepancy, but at a certain point it resolved on its own and now seems to be getting progressively worse. She's currently almost 10, and at her last visit the doctor said that at her stage it's okay not to wear a lift. Happens to be that I sympathize with her, as for an unrelated reason I wore a lift in my shoe in high school, as I had a 2cm discrepancy and scoliosis (which she does not appear to have) and the doctor wanted me to wear a lift while I was growing to help me grow optimally.

We do plan that eventually she will need limb lengthening surgery, but not until she's older as it's a fine balance figuring out the sweet spot of time to do it.

If you are in the NY area, I use an amazing orthopedist in LIJ and we have continued to see him even though we moved out of NY.

Posting under my own name in case anyone wants to PM me for more info.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:37 pm
My chiropractor (Webster technique) regularly corrects my uneven legs. I understand that this is something a lot more extreme and noticable but it can probably be fixed with chiropractic work as well.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:43 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Thanks but my dd is 7 and she has no energy/never joins in sports, podiatrist says its uneven Legs and she will live with it for the rest of her life. She hates wearing arches and a lift. I wish there was a solution like therapy

Physical therapy-with a good therapist.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:44 pm
This thread is from 2015…

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Topaz wrote:

LOL

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
and the OP came back and commented to help a new poster to the thread who was looking for help.

etky

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 12:20 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Why firstborn girls???

See my post upthread.
BTW I have no idea if they're still doing that. My oldest DD is 27 now...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics