Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Gift from EY

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:49 pm
So what would you get a married daughter from EY? She claims there is nothing she needs and doesn't have space in her tiny apartment for nicknacks, artwork...

I want to get her something she would use... She's practical but at the same time does like things to look nice. I want something for her or the apartment (that she would use), not just for the kids.

Genius imamothers.... I need your help!!!

return2You

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:51 pm
a new set of linen is always nice and appreciated!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:58 pm
return2You wrote:
a new set of linen is always nice and appreciated!

From EY? why not just go to your local store, amazon or BB&B?

return2You

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:02 pm
Im confused. who is from EY? you or your daughter?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:19 pm
return2You wrote:
Im confused. who is from EY? you or your daughter?

Sorry: We both live in the USA. I am visiting EY for chag and want a gift to bring back for her.

trixx

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:30 pm
a beautiful kiddush or havdalah bentcher? (like leather-bound, nice text inside)
a personalized sign for their front door with their family last name

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:47 pm
Get rid of the "giftware" mindset. Most stuff sold as "giftware" is nothing but clutter. If dd says she has no room for artwork or knickknacks, take her word for it. Bring something consumable. Fresh halvah. Sabra liqueur. Ahava skin-care products. Elite chewing gum. Candy bars in brands that are kosher in Israel but not in the US. Perfume if you know what she likes. The Wissotsky Magic Tea Chest. An assortment of spice mixtures like zaatar and hawayij.

Or go for small nonconsumables that take up very little space, like like head scarves or jewelry. An olivewood plaque for the front door that says "Mishpachat Yourddsname". A Judaica item she doesn't already have, maybe a besamim box or washing cup in a material that she will not have to polish, like glass, olive wood or ceramic. A recent music recording. An apron if she wears them.

Or why not just bring her an assortment of everyday products that she will a. use because they're practical and b. love just because they are from EY? Toothpaste, hand cream, coffee, falafel mix, lipstick, the "magic sponge". Those newfangled Shabbat tooth"brushes" and dish "sponges". They don't have to be things that are impossible to buy here, just stuff that's made there.

etky

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:48 am
Or if you want something personal for her - something from Michal Negrin (or other Israeli designer): jewelry or stationary, greeting cards or an article of clothing.
Or hand creams/body creams/scrubs from Laline (I love their "Ocean" scent).
Or in the edibles department, adding to the suggestions above, there is a line of Dead Sea gourmet salts called 424 Below Sea Level. Their products are very trendy now. They have all kinds in interesting salt based seasonings and they come in gift packages too.
There are also all kinds of interesting Israeli retro products out now and special stores that sell them.
Or how about an Israeli board game that the entire family can play together? Go into any toy store and you will see a huge selection. Even Monopoly in Hebrew can be fun...
Or a set of placemats, a napkin holder, a calendar for the new year, a trivet, a decorative recipe box, magnets for the fridge, a challah cover, a plata cover- all functional things that take up very little space both in your luggage and in her home.

etky

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 1:28 am
zaq wrote:
Get rid of the "giftware" mindset. Most stuff sold as "giftware" is nothing but clutter. If dd says she has no room for artwork or knickknacks, take her word for it. Bring something consumable. Fresh halvah. Sabra liqueur. Ahava skin-care products. Elite chewing gum. Candy bars in brands that are kosher in Israel but not in the US. Perfume if you know what she likes. The Wissotsky Magic Tea Chest. An assortment of spice mixtures like zaatar and hawayij.

Or go for small nonconsumables that take up very little space, like like head scarves or jewelry. An olivewood plaque for the front door that says "Mishpachat Yourddsname". A Judaica item she doesn't already have, maybe a besamim box or washing cup in a material that she will not have to polish, like glass, olive wood or ceramic. A recent music recording. An apron if she wears them.

Or why not just bring her an assortment of everyday products that she will a. use because they're practical and b. love just because they are from EY? Toothpaste, hand cream, coffee, falafel mix, lipstick, the "magic sponge". Those newfangled Shabbat tooth"brushes" and dish "sponges". They don't have to be things that are impossible to buy here, just stuff that's made there.

Unfortunately, not that it detracts entirely from the Israeli appeal of the article, fewer and fewer items designed here are actually manufactured locally, in Israel. Often, if you read the label, you'll see that the item is made in (surprise, surprise) China. Many food items too are actually manufactured in Turkey or Eastern Europe. And even the iconic and quintessentially Israeli company Tnuva has been sold to a Chinese food conglomerate Confused .

pickle321

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 7:03 am
You can get her a hadlakas neiros card with her name from the leather store and maybe a kiddush one for her husband. Or something from matanel 2000. If you go to tzfat you can get a micro calligraphy picture (they probably sell them in geulah too)

PAMOM

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 8:01 am
Love Zaq's and Etky's ideas. I brought 424 Below salts back last time and they were a huge hit. I also went to Machaneh Yehudah the day before I left and bought spices, variations of halvah, and a few other things. I packed them in ziplock bags in my suitcase (still in their original bags from the market) and brought it all back. Everyone loved getting them .

sleepless

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 9:14 am
You can get something from the leather store, a nice siddur or wallet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics