Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What if Ger l'chumra learns they don't have Jewish ancestry?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 2:24 pm
An interesting situation came up, I'd like to ask thoughts on...

A person does a ger l'chumra because there are some doubts about their maternal ancestry. After the ger they find out that they do not have Jewish ancestry at all on their maternal side. Does the original ger l'chumra stand or does the person need to go back and do the more stringent regular ger process?

The person did a lighter conversion process originally because it was assumed that their mother was Jewish, but there was some doubt so hence the ger l'chmra. The dip at the mikvah was the same as a regular ger.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 2:27 pm
I am not a posek, but I assume that if the person was sincere, and has accepted all of the mitzvot, then the gerus should be kosher.

Interesting question, though. I'll go ask my DH to look into it.

5mom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 2:35 pm
I'm pretty sure that it's fine. Conversion is conversion.

If you do want to double check with a rabbi, do research to find one who understands the issue and has lots of experience.

If you are in Israel (and that seems likely given the timing of this post) it is vital to consult with someone who has shown sensitivity to gerim. Otherwise you could be looking at a totally unnecessary and awful religious and bureaucratic nightmare. I don't mean to scare you, only to explain that you don't want to have any more involvement than necessary with the Rabbanut.

This sounds like an unpleasant experience. I wish everyone involved an easy time.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 2:36 pm
It turns out I was right.

DH says that once you've been to the mikveh, then you are dunked and done. L'chumra literally means "in case you were mistaken about your ancestry", so that's covered.

You're either Jewish (by birth or conversion) or you're not. It's just like you can't be "kinda pregnant".

Isramom8

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 3:32 pm
I'd think this is exactly why giyur lechumra is done, in case it happens that the ancestors weren't Jewish. So... the giyur was done.

But I have no idea how it's handled practically in various countries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions