Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Rant about my job- professional photographer
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pickle321

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 2:47 pm
I agree with tiger wife, professional pictures are definitely an extra!

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:37 pm
Boy, could I relate to this!

Yes -- it applies to many professions.

I find the kind of kvetching about pricing described by the OP to be very ignorant and declasse. I lose tremendous respect for people who engage in it. The complainers never know anything about industry practices nor have they any basis for intelligently comparing options.

I recently had a conversation with a client who was trying to tactfully tell me that she thought a product needed improvement. Well, she's correct -- except for the fact that her organization specifically chose what they did because they wanted to save money -- and they knew full well that they were purchasing a less-than-optimum version of the product. And they're behind even in *those* payments. But she doesn't know that; it's not appropriate for me to tell her; and she certainly hasn't investigated the larger market.

But there's no way to say that without sounding defensive and as if you're making excuses, so I just thanked her for her feedback and moved on.

I'm sure she thinks she did a good thing, informing me of her dissatisfaction with tact and professionalism. Believe me, "tactful" and "professional" wouldn't be the words I'd use to describe her!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:48 pm
A "like" and a "hug" Very Happy I am a graphic designer (freelance) and totally feel you!

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:51 pm
I understand you.

I think you must be targeting the wrong crowd.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:26 pm
Op you are unusual. Most photographers don't spend three hours before a shoot and most don't even give you the time of day on the phone they have a secretary for that.

I would definitely spend on such pictures of they cd put good

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:13 pm
To the OP.

I drool over the pictures you post on Facebook of the shoots you do. I don't mean specifically you since I have no idea who you are but I am talking about people like you. I am looking forward to the day I have enough money to do a session with you. But until then I will go on drooling.

I totally understand you. If anybody would see the pictures from you or the person charging an eighth of the price, they would be blown away.

So until I can afford you I will just go on drooling.

I was talking to a cousin of mine who was saying she took a cheap photographer. I showed her pics of a professional photographer like the OP and she didn't know what to say. All in all I can say you get what you pay for.

If you are who I think you are, I just love your pics. They are amazing.

r1

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:06 am
While I def agree that
A talent comes with a price
B in our community ppl pay nutty prices for other things so why not this

I also think that if u do actually look out of our community u will realize that we have this pricing issue where industry prices skyrocket in a short amount of time, in a very extreme way.

( think shaitels, yes u have to pay for quality…. but a few years ago it was 2,000 now its 4,000. and lots of younger less established brands asking for prices in that range… I rem hearing about a wig seller raised her prices because she didn't want her wigs to be considered cheap--not because she wasn't covering her costs or making a great living)

So yes ur talent is worth money! if u are exceptionally talented and dedicated, ppl think ur work is worth it etc. then dont listen to the naysayers. However u should be a standout, an exception.

I take issue with the outrageous prices that even mediocre, less dedicated photographers charge because IT BECAME AN INDUSTRY STANDARD.
( not yelling but I'm rambling and wanted to highlight my main point:)

cityofgold

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:42 am
Probably many professional photographers don't put in as much time as the OP, but I do think most of them put in a lot more than we think they do. As others have said; it's like that in many professions.

Do you have a page describing your behind-the-scenes process on your website?
(Not that I think this would stop the bashing--maybe a few people. But your clients ought to know what they're getting!)

I must say I would love to see your photography. It sounds like a work of art!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 8:26 am
Most photographers don't put In So much time so if there are a few exceptions that's fine. What bothers me is when someone just started out and is charging crazy prices because that's what everyone else is doing. Also a lot of photographers barely edit their work but charge as if they do. I do know a little bit about photography so I can tell and I can't stand when a mediocre photographer acts like she's an extremely talented one.

So op I don't know if you are one of the few exceptions who are worth the money or if you are one of those delusional ones who think they have talent when they don't. But when you pay a lot and you are not happy with your photos for example because of lighting or your kids don't look good or other things then yes a client has a right to complain if photographer does not deliver the finished product to match their prices.

I don't care how much time a photographer puts in if she doesn't have talent and charges as if she does that's not my problem she should find another profession.

Usually the talented photographers are few and far between and they are known as amazing and no one even questions their price. Sararivka charges over $1,000 for a sitting fee and is booked way in advanced and no one complains about her prices because her pics are stunning.

So op if people are really complaining then go and get an opinion from a real professional to see if your finished product matches your results and if it's really a profession for you.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 8:35 am
My sister is a photographer (yes- I am very lucky. She is amazingly talented and I get them for free)! I would never be able to afford her prices if I had to pay.

The problem with handing out CD's is that people print pictures cheaply, and the quality can be really bad. She spends a lot of time editing, and preparing the files to be printed professionally. She always says her reputation is on the line if people see really bad quality pictures hanging on other peoples walls, and know that is her work.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
Op you are unusual. Most photographers don't spend three hours before a shoot and most don't even give you the time of day on the phone they have a secretary for that.

I would definitely spend on such pictures of they cd put good

I am not unusual, there are many many photographers that run their businesses just like mine. The problem is, everyone just compares numbers, so the cheaper photographers who don't put as much time in, are more popular in the frum community. A lot of people don't sit around long enough to care about how I run my business they just want to know how much it will cost them.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:10 am
r1 wrote:
While I def agree that
A talent comes with a price
B in our community ppl pay nutty prices for other things so why not this

I also think that if u do actually look out of our community u will realize that we have this pricing issue where industry prices skyrocket in a short amount of time, in a very extreme way.

( think shaitels, yes u have to pay for quality…. but a few years ago it was 2,000 now its 4,000. and lots of younger less established brands asking for prices in that range… I rem hearing about a wig seller raised her prices because she didn't want her wigs to be considered cheap--not because she wasn't covering her costs or making a great living)

So yes ur talent is worth money! if u are exceptionally talented and dedicated, ppl think ur work is worth it etc. then dont listen to the naysayers. However u should be a standout, an exception.

I take issue with the outrageous prices that even mediocre, less dedicated photographers charge because IT BECAME AN INDUSTRY STANDARD.
( not yelling but I'm rambling and wanted to highlight my main point:)

You are 100% right. And I try to explain to people they are paying for my art, my time, my dedication, and my high quality product. And yes there are people they charge a lot and don't deliver a product worth that price. I don't want to sound full of myself but I do stand out in a way, but people still think I just know how to click the shutter a little better than the next photographer and why should they pay more for my finger clicking better.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
I am not unusual, there are many many photographers that run their businesses just like mine. The problem is, everyone just compares numbers, so the cheaper photographers who don't put as much time in, are more popular in the frum community. A lot of people don't sit around long enough to care about how I run my business they just want to know how much it will cost them.

And that's how customers who don't need your product are eliminated. They are not your target market.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:12 am
I don't care if you spend 100 hours and my photos are horrible. I want beautiful pictures.

I do care if you spend 100 hours and my photos are beautiful then I will pay whatever you are asking.

Too many people without talent are trying so hard but they just don't have it. Everyone thinks they can become a photographer. Look on Instagram the field is flooded but I check many of them out and so many of them are terrible.

I am very into pictures and I will pay for top quality pictures but I have hired enough photographers who did not perform and then when I had to pay what they wanted I felt jipped.

Photographer is not a per hour dollar amount job it's a finished product. You don't bring a good quality finished product to the table you
Don't deserve any money.

So again op I don't know you but reevaluate yourself. do my photos show the hours of work I put into it. Because if they are really great quality your customers won't complain.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
You are 100% right. And I try to explain to people they are paying for my art, my time, my dedication, and my high quality product. And yes there are people they charge a lot and don't deliver a product worth that price. I don't want to sound full of myself but I do stand out in a way, but people still think I just know how to click the shutter a little better than the next photographer and why should they pay more for my finger clicking better.

If you need to explain your product they're not the right customers for you. You need to target the people with an eye for art who appreciate your product and can afford it.

A smaller market than the rest, true. But that's your choice.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
Most photographers don't put In So much time so if there are a few exceptions that's fine. What bothers me is when someone just started out and is charging crazy prices because that's what everyone else is doing. Also a lot of photographers barely edit their work but charge as if they do. I do know a little bit about photography so I can tell and I can't stand when a mediocre photographer acts like she's an extremely talented one.

So op I don't know if you are one of the few exceptions who are worth the money or if you are one of those delusional ones who think they have talent when they don't. But when you pay a lot and you are not happy with your photos for example because of lighting or your kids don't look good or other things then yes a client has a right to complain if photographer does not deliver the finished product to match their prices.

I don't care how much time a photographer puts in if she doesn't have talent and charges as if she does that's not my problem she should find another profession.

Usually the talented photographers are few and far between and they are known as amazing and no one even questions their price. Sararivka charges over $1,000 for a sitting fee and is booked way in advanced and no one complains about her prices because her pics are stunning.

So op if people are really complaining then go and get an opinion from a real professional to see if your finished product matches your results and if it's really a profession for you.

No one is complaining about my prices. I have complaints of I wish I could afford you. I am mostly referring to rants I see in groups that are not about ME. I hear now that people are upset because mediocre photographers are charging a lot. I just assumed they were cheap and that everyone was complaining about people like me.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:20 am
I hired a photographer for my upsherin who we discussed upfront exactly what I want and we discussed that every photo had to be edited. We agreed upon price and it was high like 500 an hour or more. I discussed I want photo of every person in room, crowd shots, every person who cuts hair, I gave her a list.

Bottom line is photographer was trying so hard to be artsy and creative that she missed every important shot. It took her ten minutes to shoot a photo that for every one person cutting hair she missed out on the next two.

Also she then wanted to charge me more for editing that was discussed beforehand.

I am upset that I missed out on many photos I don't have and quality was terrible but of course I paid what I agreed upon. But yes I will tell people not to use so and so prices are so high and not worth it.

And I am so happy when friends give me their photos because I am finding that their photos came out nicer.

So yes people are upset when someone who doesn't know what they are doing charges as if they do and don't deliver what they promise.

If you are a beginner charge as if you are a beginner. Even if out are spending more hours on the job but that's how you learn and I don't have to pay for you to learn on my child.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:27 am
Since everyone is saying the same thing, I need to clarify some things.

1. I do not have anyone complaining about my pictures

2. The only people who complain about my prices, ask me to lower them so that they can afford it (yes this happens all the time) those people always end up getting pictures elsewhere that look horrible. Obviously they are not my client

3. Those that choose to use me, usually spend more than they plan because they love their pictures so much. And they do it happily.

4. What set this off was my frustration with a facebook group post in which over a 100 women were complaining, since I see this so much I was concerned the majority felt this way. But based on everything I am reading I see it is only people that are not my target client.

Thanks everyone the responses were super helpful.

yummydd

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:30 am
As a graphics designer I totally get you. First of all I spend hours editing my own pics. It really takes hours to get it perfect! People will try and push me to lower my price. Someone said to me I'll advertise you bh mouth if you give me a cheaper price. People offer me their services of what they are
Advertising instead of payment. Even when asked to do an album and I name my price people are like whjhhat? They truly don't realize the hours that go into it. I don't go to snapfish and just create a book there and charge.
I also have to agree that when I look at Instagram and see some pics of people who call themselves photographers. It hurts my eyes. I love pics and will pay for them. But Some of those shots are worse then the pics my little kids make

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I hired a photographer for my upsherin who we discussed upfront exactly what I want and we discussed that every photo had to be edited. We agreed upon price and it was high like 500 an hour or more. I discussed I want photo of every person in room, crowd shots, every person who cuts hair, I gave her a list.

Bottom line is photographer was trying so hard to be artsy and creative that she missed every important shot. It took her ten minutes to shoot a photo that for every one person cutting hair she missed out on the next two.

Also she then wanted to charge me more for editing that was discussed beforehand.

I am upset that I missed out on many photos I don't have and quality was terrible but of course I paid what I agreed upon. But yes I will tell people not to use so and so prices are so high and not worth it.

And I am so happy when friends give me their photos because I am finding that their photos came out nicer.

So yes people are upset when someone who doesn't know what they are doing charges as if they do and don't deliver what they promise.

If you are a beginner charge as if you are a beginner. Even if out are spending more hours on the job but that's how you learn and I don't have to pay for you to learn on my child.

I am so sorry that you had that experience. I hope that she is not the norm. I did not realize that new and not talented photographers were charging so much. I always assumed they were cheap. I do wonder in such situations though, did you see her portfolio beforehand? What made you decide to hire her for that price?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics