Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel looks dull?/Sheitel Tips

Rose816

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 8:47 am
Hi!

I've had my sheitel for a couple months. The last time I got it washed was in the beginning of September. I take good care of it, brush it out, etc--but for some reason it looks really dull. Do I need to wash it? (How often do people wash sheitels anyway?). Any fixes for when your sheitel starts to look a bit dull?

I'm also looking for general sheitel tips--super knew at this, and trying to figure it out.

Thank you for your time Smile

sky

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 9:40 am
Sometimes I find if it was over conditioned it doesn't hold a setting as well.

For bangs that start looking like they need a wash you can try using dry shampoo (like batiste). Spray on the underside and then brush out.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 10:07 am
Bio-Silk can freshen up your sheitel without washing it...it's an oil that you rub in your hands and spread throughout your wig...it adds shine...but it's normal if you wear your sheitel every day to wash it once a month (I wash my own, cant afford a sheitel macher) You can purchase Biosilk in Target (that's where I found mine) they also have a finishing spray...it's about 14.00 a bottle but well worth it, lasts a long time....they come in very small bottles

PassionFruit

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 11:38 am
It could be that the color was never quite right for you and you need it to be a little darker. Sometimes wearing too light of a shade ends up looking dull. Also, if it wasn't a high end shaitle to begin with, the hair was already dull. You are are suppose to wash a shaitle you wear daily about once a month, and one you wear a few times a week every 6 weeks. Even if you never wear it, it should be washed every 8 weeks or else the dust can make a permanent stench in the net.

Rose816

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 12:19 pm
This is all such great advice!

I had no idea dry shampoo could work on a sheitel.

I'll definitely have to check out BioSilk the next time I'm in America, it sounds like an incredible product.

As for the color and washing, I had no idea the wrong color could look dull. That's so interesting. Additionally, I had no idea you needed to wash a sheitel, even if you weren't wearing it.

Thank you so much! I'm loving the advice Smile

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 12:31 pm
I don't find it necessary to wash a wig that hasn't been worn at all. Even if a long time passes. But if you have worn the wig a couple of times (let's say a wedding style wig) then it needs to be washed if a few weeks have passed. The body oils from your scalp seep into the net and the longer they stay the harder it is to get the stench out. I never heard of dust leaving a stentch in the net.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 22 2015, 12:43 pm
I never wash a sheitel so often. Shabbos shietel about 3 times a year (succos, Pesach and if it needs it in between).

Weekday sheitel about every 2 - 3 months depending on how much wear it got.

I think the more styled the sheitel the more care it would need.

[I have heard to keep sheite's rarely worn inside a shietel box to prevent dust buildup]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels