Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
SHOCKING DIARY: Not Accepted Into Lakewood Schools
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:15 pm
We should be publicizing the telephone numbers and addresses of all 4 Lakewood Roshei Yeshiva and their Rebbitzens, who should get this letter and get polite follow up calls, until EVERY girl is placed in a school, instead of discussing the pain inflicted on a girl whose diary entry was publicized, no matter how hurtful. Imho, it was written by a mother.

Last edited by Mevater on Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyfaces

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:16 pm
Heartbreaking!!!!!! Speechless!!!! How can they do this!!!!!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:24 pm
It's no surprise, I've experienced it w elementary schools too. And my close family members have had the same thing happen to them. Good, Ehrlich kids from wonderful homes. Top kids in the class.
That was one reason we moved away.
Can you imagine the message it sends to the kids?

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:27 pm
studying_torah wrote:
It's no surprise, I've experienced it w elementary schools too. And my close family members have had the same thing happen to them. Good, Ehrlich kids from wonderful homes. Top kids in the class.
That was one reason we moved away.
Can you imagine the message it sends to the kids?

You mean there are communities where every child has a school to go to, that they want to go to? Nice.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:31 pm
Mevater wrote:
We should be publicizing the telephone numbers and addresses of all 4 Lakewood Roshei Yeshiva and their Rebbitzens, who should get this letter and get polite follow up calls, until EVERY girl is placed in a school, instead of discussing the pain inflicted on a girl whose diary entry was publicized, no matter how hurtful. Imho, it was written by a mother.

You wish that would help the situation.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:42 pm
Mevater wrote:
You mean there are communities where every child has a school to go to, that they want to go to? Nice.

Around here, children are sometimes denied a place if they have behavior or learning needs that the school is not prepared to handle. Some very popular nurseries may have a waiting list. Otherwise, yes, all the children have places. The principal has a beef with the family so a typical, well-behaved child doesn't go to school? I only know about this from Imamother, and always regarding Lakewood.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:46 pm
cm wrote:
Around here, children are sometimes denied a place if they have behavior or learning needs that the school is not prepared to handle. Some very popular nurseries may have a waiting list. Otherwise, yes, all the children have places. The principal has a beef with the family so a typical, well-behaved child doesn't go to school? I only know about this from Imamother, and always regarding Lakewood.

Where is here?

sbmom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:49 pm
Something doesn't add up here and there is probably way, way more to this story.

I have been told that every girl gets accepted into at least one high school in Lakewood, so this girl probably got into a school that her parents CHOSE not to send her to. There isn't a huge, huge difference between the different high schools in Lakewood, so I'm wondering why her parents don't let her go where she was accepted.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:50 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Where is here?

Not in Lakewood.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:55 pm
sfb wrote:
Something doesn't add up here and there is probably way, way more to this story.

I have been told that every girl gets accepted into at least one high school in Lakewood, so this girl probably got into a school that her parents CHOSE not to send her to. There isn't a huge, huge difference between the different high schools in Lakewood, so I'm wondering why her parents don't let her go where she was accepted.

Been told ..and what really is are to different things.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 3:57 pm
sfb wrote:

Imagine your daughter is RW yeshivish. Your daughter is not accepted to any high school, and the Vaad places you in a school that is mostly Chassidish. Would you say there isn't a huge difference? Your child will be the only non-chassidish student in the entire grade.

Imagine your child has been extensively bullied by XYZ. XYZ and her contingent are all going to Bais ABC, which is a small school, and that is the school the Vaad is placing your daughter in. You applied to 4 other schools to try to separate your child from XYZ and give her a fresh start, but the town won't let you.

With minor changes, these are some true examples of how it works. No huge differences, on the surface...but they can be huge to the person.

Simple1

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:02 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Imagine your daughter is RW yeshivish. Your daughter is not accepted to any high school, and the Vaad places you in a school that is mostly Chassidish. Would you say there isn't a huge difference? Your child will be the only non-chassidish student in the entire grade.

Imagine your child has been extensively bullied by XYZ. XYZ and her contingent are all going to Bais ABC, which is a small school, and that is the school the Vaad is placing your daughter in. You applied to 4 other schools to try to separate your child from XYZ and give her a fresh start, but the town won't let you.

With minor changes, these are some true examples of how it works. No huge differences, on the surface...but they can be huge to the person.

I don't know if that's the case now, but I've heard of families refusing schools simply because they're not brand-name.

self-actualization

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:07 pm
My close friend, who is either descended from or married into every possible rosh yeshiva's family, was agonizing about getting her oldest daughter into school in Lakewood. She was even thinking of starting her own school, as a backup plan. She told me that she makes sure to send elaborate fruit platters to the school administrators and her friend did the following: made a fresh potato kugel every Friday for a year for the head of a school, in order to make sure her daughter got a spot. I am not making these things up!!! That's why I posted the story - because I know that the situation is a reality in Lakewood and somebody needs to figure it out!!

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:16 pm
self-actualization wrote:
My close friend, who is either descended from or married into every possible rosh yeshiva's family, was agonizing about getting her oldest daughter into school in Lakewood. She was even thinking of starting her own school, as a backup plan. She told me that she makes sure to send elaborate fruit platters to the school administrators and her friend did the following: made a fresh potato kugel every Friday for a year for the head of a school, in order to make sure her daughter got a spot. I am not making these things up!!! That's why I posted the story - because I know that the situation is a reality in Lakewood and somebody needs to figure it out!!

Do you think thousands of P O L I T E calls to the Roshei Yeshiva, would have zero effect? If not, what would?

giselle

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:23 pm
Chocomama wrote:
This makes no sense.

One school owner has it in for a kids father and there are no other schools??

There is NO way this is an accurate picture of the situation. I'm not saying there's no problem going on, but the way this is presented makes me very skeptical.

Ppl are not monsters and its nearly November. There has got to be more to this story.

You are obviously not familiar with Lakewood.

professor

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:26 pm
Oh come ON. not another one of those. just go to another school. there are plenty. is it that she wants to be with her friends? will they not be her friends anymore if she isn't in their school? they can always hang out after school. unless they have some rule that dont allow them to befriend her, I don't see a problem.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:40 pm
I would love to see evidence that this is real, and that there is no more to the story than this.

I am not prepared to believe those in charge of Lakewood placement are monsters just on hearsay.

And I have heard directly far more stories of Lakewood schools bendng over backwards to help kids with issues.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:47 pm
Well yeah, it happened to us bec we couldn't afford to make a massive donation, but other parents could. That's what the principal told us. Oh and my younger child was not accepted to the older child's school.
My family members (multiple ppl) all had great kids, all were stuck. It happens.
That's the ugly truth. I'm not saying this diary post is real, but I am saying from my own experience that this is all too real.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 4:58 pm
I have a relative who is principal of one of the largest girls' elementary schools in Lakewood. She has told me numerous times that her biggest issue is making sure all of the girls get into High Schools. One would think she can relax in the summer when school is out, but she cannot, as she spends all of her time working on this issue including meeting with Roshei Yeshiva and Askanim. It is a very big problem.

iamawesome

Post Wed, Oct 28 2015, 5:02 pm
Professor, seriously?!?! You really don't get Lakewood.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics