Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you live next to a registered offender?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:16 am
I think it depends a lot on the circumstances. I grew up around the corner from one, but he was not Jewish and didn't have any kids of his own. My parents showed me pictures of his face and told me never to go near him. I remember clearly passing by him while we were in a car and he was standing outside his house, and my parents specifically went around the block again to make sure we saw him and knew to stay away from that face. The fact that he was not Jewish and didn't have kids made a big barrier to begin with, and I think that the prep my parents gave was sufficient. We were educated from a very young age about child-safety issues, which should be done regardless of who your neighbor is.
That said, it becomes much more sticky if the offender does not have these barriors. Kids naturally want to play with other kids and tend to think their parents are over protective and "annoying" for not letting them play with kids they want to. [I had another friend who's father was "off" and was later arrested, and I was not allowed to play at their house, because my parents sensed something about him. This was very hard for me and made me upset and angry at my parents--after all, her father was a rebbe in our school, and his daughter was my good friend!]
Assess your situation--without the natural barriers it is unlikely you can keep your kids away from there all the time.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 7:39 am
Drmom, I just noted my thought process: all of a sudden I thought to check the map for churches. Then I thought to check the registry.

In not comparing one to the other.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:28 pm
I once checked to see if there are any registered s-x offenders in my neighborhood and I discovered that there was one in the building right near me. He is really old and I never see him so I'm not that worried. Also, my kids aren't old enough to go out on their own yet.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 12:53 pm
OK, thank you everyone for your input.
After clearing my mind (and doing a bit of googling) we're dropping it.

Gam zu letova.
Baruch hashem, we found out in time.

Gotta clean my current residence then, sigh...

musicmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:16 pm
the realtor should have told you this information!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 1:55 pm
Sadly, being old means nothing. My kids were going to school w my nanny and an old creep grabbed my 4 year old! It was beyond scary. Bh my nanny grabbed her back and she was fine.
Anon bec it was very public in my town.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:09 pm
musicmom wrote:

Maybe, don't know. After all it is public, maybe we are supposed to look out for ourselves.
Actually, we ended up telling him this information.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:12 pm
Additionally, we know that a yid has just bought a house right next door to that crime hub and wants to rent it out. I guess I should call them to make sure they know what's next door.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:12 pm
musicmom wrote:

It depends on what state you live in. Disclosure is sometimes limited to whether a violent crime took place in the residence or if there is a burial on the property. It's always best for a purchaser to do some research on their own. Most PDs have listings of the SOs their crimes and where they are living. Just check the web pages.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:38 pm
FYI, we have lived next to a church for more than a decade and it does not bother us in the least.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
FYI, we have lived next to a church for more than a decade and it does not bother us in the least.

Alright but it would bother me, both sights and sounds.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 3:44 pm
If you put your zip code into the registry, you will find all the offenders in your neighborhood.
I would more worried about the offenders in my neighborhood, with beards and hats than ones that look creepy.
The ones that look like your families or teachers are the most dangerous, in that your kid does not have alarms going off, if they approach them.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:02 pm
smilingmom wrote:
If you put your zip code into the registry, you will find all the offenders in your neighborhood.
I would more worried about the offenders in my neighborhood, with beards and hats than ones that look creepy.
The ones that look like your families or teachers are the most dangerous, in that your kid does not have alarms going off, if they approach them.

Do you have a website?

smilingmom

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have a website?

http://www.criminaljustice.ny......x.jsp

If you put in 11219, (Boro Park) one half of the list is frum looking men with beards.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:17 pm
smilingmom wrote:
http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/SomsSUBDirectory/search_index.jsp

If you put in 11219, (Boro Park) one half of the list is frum looking men with beards.

Quelle surprise!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:30 pm
And all of them from Monsey have beards... so scary.
We wanted to move to a certain area in Lakewood. Then we realized there are complexes there w a number of offenders and drug addicts. We decided no way, but it became a very popular area, even w all those ppl living there. Makes me very nervous to see all the sweet kinderlach playing outside w these ppl right nearby.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 4:47 pm
And these were just the ones reported and prosecuted.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:37 pm
My DH occasionally davens in a shul where someone on the list davens (no beard, or payos contrary to popular belief that they are the only ones on the list). He also has a child the same age as one of my children.
When my DH does daven in that shul he keeps a very close eye on my kids and even when the older children go to use the bathroom he accompanies them.

(Based on my understanding I don't think it was molesting young children, maybe [filth] or picking up someone who was soliciting who was under age, not that it makes me feel any better or safer. But there are different things people can be listed for).

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 10 2015, 8:43 pm
Just as a point of information Jetblack, [filth] isn't a crime. Child [filth] is.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Nov 11 2015, 4:29 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
What was the offense? I would look more into it. Urinating in public can put you on the registry.

Are you serious?

The following is a list of offenses that require registration, not all of them are publicly available.
Only ones in which the judge feels that
there is moderate risk of repeat offense (level 2) or
high risk of repeat offense and a threat to public safety exists (level 3)

http://www.criminaljustice.ny......1.htm
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating