Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Which neighborhood in Brooklyn or Flatbush?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 5:02 pm
Help! Where to move to? Pleazzzzzzzzze help me pick the perfect neighborhood for us.

We are not yeshivish & not modern - something in between, for sure not chassidish. We arent even modern yeshivish, were more like yeshivish modern.

We would love a good shul with no talking during davening. Not too long a trek to school for the kids. Sorta safe to walk at night. Not a welfare neighborhood and not a competitive remodeling neighborhood.

Also we want to rent, not buy. So please pour on the advice.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 9:51 pm
Flatbush. Midwood area (Avenue J/M).
Don't know about specific shuls, but around there, there are yeshivish and more modern yeshivish families.
good luck!

myfriends715

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 9:54 pm
WE LIVE IN MANHATTAN BEACH AND LOVE IT... IT IS FAR FROM THE SCHOOLS AND STUFF BUT IT IS A SMALL VERY CLOSE KNIT COMMUNITY OF ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF PPL. SOME BLACK HATTERS, OTHERS MORE MODERN.. TOTALLY NON JUDGMENTAL AND VERY FRIENDLT... LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS

amother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:03 pm
myfriends715 wrote:
WE LIVE IN MANHATTAN BEACH AND LOVE IT... IT IS FAR FROM THE SCHOOLS AND STUFF BUT IT IS A SMALL VERY CLOSE KNIT COMMUNITY OF ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF PPL. SOME BLACK HATTERS, OTHERS MORE MODERN.. TOTALLY NON JUDGMENTAL AND VERY FRIENDLT... LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS

I'd love more details, especially I didnt know there was much to rent there.

myfriends715

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
myfriends715 wrote:

I'd love more details, especially I didnt know there was much to rent there.

WELL FINDING SOMETHING TO RENT CAN BE DIFFICULT BUT THE PPL. WHO LIVE HERE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP.. THERE IS APPROX. A NEW COUPLE MOVING IN EVERY 2-3 MONTHS SO IT IS GROWING AND THE SHUL IS EXPANDING.. THE ROV IS GREAT AND REALLY INVOLVED... WE JUST MOVED B/C WE'RE IY"H EXPECTING SO WE NEEDED A BIGGER PLACE AND THE ROV HIMSELF HELPED US FIND THIS PLACE... AS FAR AS THE COMMUNITY GOES THERE ARE ABOUT 40 "YOUNG COUPLES- FROM RECENTLY MARRIED TO HAVE KIDS AROUND AGE 10 THEN THERE ARE PROBOBLY ABOUT 30 OLDER COUPLES AND THEN THERE ARE PPL. WHO SEEM TO HAVE LIVED HERE FOREVER... ON A GIVEN WEEK THERE ARE ABOUT 100-200 PPL IN SHUL AND ALL THE "YOUNG COUPLES" ARE ALL FRIENDS WITH EACH OTHER.. WE ALL GO TO EACHOTHER FOR SHABBOS MEALS ETC. THERE IS A KOLLEL IN THE COMMUNITY THAT HAS ABOUT 10 PPL.(DH AND I ORIGINALLY MOVED IN B/C HE WAS IN THE KOLLEL-BUT EVEN AFTER HE WENT OUT TO WORK WE STAYED) WE LOVE THAT ITS SUBURBY AND THERE IS A REAL COMMUNITY AND THAT ITS REALLY CLOSE TO FLATBUSH W/O BEING PART OF FLATBUSH
HTH LET ME KNOW I F YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

amother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:41 pm
Do the schoolbuses from the flatbush schools pick up there? Do you know where any of the kids go? How is it food shopping from there?

myfriends715

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:58 pm
there are only a few schools that pick up from there.... torah temima for boys and YOB for girls that I know o... ppl send there and also to drav meir and prospect for girls but again the majority of the kids are younger... I usually drive to kosher papacew whick is like 10 min drive away for food shopping... glatt mart, kosher palace and a bunch of others deliver here

Cinderella

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:34 pm
The problem with Manhattan Beach(which is gorgeous between the beach and the canal) and Flatbush, is that the rent and homes that are for sale are astronomically expensive. They both happen to be prime areas.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 7:00 am
The problem with Brooklyn is that the good areas are expensive. We live in Mill Basin and love it. It is an area that is what you are describing, but also not much in terms of rentals. Marine Park is a hot neighborhood right now, lots of young couples moving there.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 8:41 am
We are specificly not looking at marine park, the 30's and madison. It is not what we want. We dont really care about the rent prices cos all the good neighborhoods are the same price.

Brooklyn, I thought Mill Basin was mostly Israeli. non frum & some Young Israel. I didnt know there was any other types there. Also which schools pick up ? Also which avenues to streets are included in Mill Basin?

brooklyn

Post Tue, Jul 10 2007, 10:33 am
It's a mix of different kinds of people here. Israeli, Bucharian, Young Israel, some black hat. There are like five shuls within a few blocks of each other, each one different. My DD goes to Shulamith and they hava a bus out here. Ask the school. As far as streets go, the lines on the map are always changing. The lines between Mill Basin, Georgetown and Bergen Beach have kind of blurred. I guess the boundaries would be Mill Avenue and higher and Veterens Avenue and higher. Plenty of frum people are starting to move back into Georgethown. Lots of new construction and nice size existing homes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics