Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Thoughts on this dress?

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:45 am
So, I've been trying to find a nice gown for my sister's wedding. I'm plus size, so it's hard to find something I like. I tried a gemach and wasn't so crazy about what they had in my size. I found this dress online and think it might work. It's also much cheaper than buying a dress in the stores here. I would put a shell underneath.
What are your thoughts???

http://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line.....ems_4

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:49 am
The dress is pretty. Your waist has to be exactly where the set in waist is. Also, the dress is not shown on a plus size. It is a good idea to avoid set in waists if you are a plus size.

kb

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:06 am
I really like it. I assume it'll need good tailoring to fit perfectly, but it's a really nice dress!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:07 am
Plus sz woman here, if you allow me to be honest, I'll tell you this dress will not look good on you. The dress is gorgeous but it's too waisted for a heavy woman

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:14 am
It's a beautiful dress. What color would you get?

You may want to check what the return policy is for the site, especially for sale items. If it's favorable, then I highly suggest ordering the dress in a couple of sizes to give you more leeway for tailoring to the best fit.

I don't usually like the look of a shell underneath a gown, but I think it would really work for this dress. Just make sure the shell sleeves are not longer than the dress sleeves. Alternatively, you can line the sleeves so you don't need a shell at all. That might help the rest of the dress fit better.

Make sure to order before the sale ends! That's a pretty hefty savings.

Mazel tov!

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 4:17 am
It's pretty. I have no idea how it would fit you, since I don't know anything about your figure (hourglass, apple, pear, etc.).

Which color did you order? I like the dark navy.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:34 am
3mitzvos wrote:
So, I've been trying to find a nice gown for my sister's wedding. I'm plus size, so it's hard to find something I like. I tried a gemach and wasn't so crazy about what they had in my size. I found this dress online and think it might work. It's also much cheaper than buying a dress in the stores here. I would put a shell underneath.
What are your thoughts???

http://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line.....ems_4

Mazel tov!
This is beautiful. I'm not sure how it would work with a shell underneath though.
Would you have access to a Macy's or Macy's online? Might be worth a look.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:55 am
This dress is just beautiful, and there are so many colors to choose from! If you wear it with a kikiriki type shell (whatever brand but with a high neckline), The neckline of the shell might stick out from the neckline of the dress and not look as pretty as on the picture. But if you wear a below the shoulders sheitel, you might cover that, at least in the back and on the sides.

Be very careful about sizing, especially if the fabric has no give. I once ordered a dress from an other company that had the exact same size chart. I got a size 8 thinking it would be very generous even too big, but better a bit big than too small, and it was very tight and not comfortable. Maybe plus sizes are more generous, but be careful, especially if you plan to add another layer under.

IMO, a style like this would look better with a shell. I've seen it on different people and really like, but that's just me. http://www.jjshouse.com/A-Line.....65548

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:55 am
When I was a plus size (for about 20 years!) I wore dresses with very defined waists as well as some form-fitting styles. I think saying this dress won't work for a plus-size woman isn't fair, as it lumps all plus-sizers into one category. Even obese women have different body shapes, and I think the mentality of "you're size xx, that won't work for you" is disheartening, especially coming from fellow plus size women.

That said, you need to know your body shape. Unless you're an hourglass or pear, this likely won't work well. Also check the bust measurements as I sometimes found-- for myself at least-- that the bust allowance in larger dresses weren't necessarily commensurate with the sizing in the rest of the garment. Think about what silhouettes have generally been the most flattering on you and go from there.

About wearing a shell, I'm not so sure how well that would work either. I do like the idea of lining it though. My wedding gown had an illusion top like that and I lined it with a nude fabric and was very happy, but that's not for everyone.

By the way, mazel tov!

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:14 pm
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

In the end, I went and bought a dress from a store in Geula. I was a bit hesitant to buy online since I wouldn't be able to try it on, so I told myself that I'd go into Geula today and see if I can find something -- if not, then I'd order one online. Well, I found one that looked great on me and happened to be part of my sister's color scheme for the wedding! yay!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics