Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
As jews, what pets aren't we allowed to own?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:22 pm
What are the guidelines as we are very much wanting to buy a pet?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:24 pm
Don't get something that causes shalom bayis problems. Besides that, they're all okay.
Minhagim may vary.

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:24 pm
Never heard of any restrictions. As long as you aren't planning to eat them.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:25 pm
If you get a pet that should be spayed/neutered, get one that's already been "fixed" so that you can avoid that halachic issue.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:32 pm
We had parakeets that we were told we have to give away. Now my husband gave a deposit for a bunny. I reminded him to ask but he didn't. I'm wondering. I'd like to know for myself.

Anonymous because we were known for our birds and now we will be known because of the rabit.

Lanz892

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:33 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
If you get a pet that should be spayed/neutered, get one that's already been "fixed" so that you can avoid that halachic issue.

Some say if you fill out a "contract" at the time of the surgery then it is OK halachically. but obviously AYLOR

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:35 pm
There is a source against owning a dog that is either large or has a loud bark and would scare away people. Don't remember exactly what it is or how legitimate it is.

Some hold any unnecessary animal in the home is a source of tumah, muktzeh on Shabbos and some other issues. I think they're not clear cut and debatable with several different halachic positions. Some would hold that every time the animal touches you or you touch the animal you'd be tumah and have to wash your hands. Making a bracha in the presence of uncovered or smelly feces is an issue. Covered feces (as in litter box) is ok.

Spay/neuter is another issue but I think I've heard of a way around it, selling the pet for a day the way we sell chometz and getting it done that way.

In general I think less issues come up with smaller pets like birds, rodents, fish etc. But I don't think any one pet is explicitly against Halacha with no room for a heter.

Sadie

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
We had parakeets that we were told we have to give away. Now my husband gave a deposit for a bunny. I reminded him to ask but he didn't. I'm wondering. I'd like to know for myself.

Anonymous because we were known for our birds and now we will be known because of the rabit.

Did the rabbi that told you to give away the birds give a reason for it?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

What was the reason given for not being able to keep the parakeets? Never heard of that one. Are you chabad?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:39 pm
He said something to the effect of it not having a good effect on the house.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:39 pm
Chassidish

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
He said something to the effect of it not having a good effect on the house.

That sounds like Kabbalah/a chassidish reason for not owning a pet. Usually kosher animals are ok with this line of reasoning. How do you feel about a small Pygmy chicken?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:45 pm
What is it?

The bunny is basically finalized. I'd like to know how "bad" we are. So to speak.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:46 pm
You can get doves too.

your questions isn't "as Jews what pet is allowed" but "as chassidim who follow Kabbalah what pet isn't allowed"

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
What is it?

The bunny is basically finalized. I'd like to know how "bad" we are. So to speak.

Depends on how far you want to follow Kabbalah. If you ask the same rav who told you to get rid of the parakeets he will 100% tell you to get rid of the rabbit. Rabbit is worse because it's definitely non kosher whereas parakeets are possibly kosher just there's no mesorah for eating them I think.

You're not "bad" as its not against Halacha. Are you "bad" for not following your mesorah/Kabbalah? That depends on your own personal feelings. I'd say you are just fine. Others (including that rav) would disagree.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 12:56 pm
As Jews you can own any pet you like. And many do.

Still not clear what the reasoning about parakeets was. Aren't all birds kosher except birds of prey?

A bunny is "worse," but also cute and cuddly, so you won't be able to give it away Smile

I had a cockatiel as a kid and was kinda meh about it. Eventually we returned it to its original owner. I have much more affectionate feelings for my cats.

simchat

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:14 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What was the reason given for not being able to keep the parakeets? Never heard of that one. Are you chabad?

I'm chabad and never heard it was an issue to own pets. Growing up, we had cats, fish and one time birds. We gave those away after a while because they were so messy! LOL

A friend used to have a big dog, another one a rabbit and a classmate used to have a whole assortment of pets ranging from a cockatiel to a guinea pig. We also had other friends with cats. I'm sure there were many more in my community but I don't remember.

We did get a kitten after we got married, but had to give it away temporarily when we went on vacation and it got killed in an accident Crying . I would get a big dog, but hubby would NOT be on board and honestly, at this point, I don't see myself being able to take care of it - walks etc. Maybe when my kids are big enough to it Wink

gp2.0

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:22 pm
simchat wrote:
I'm chabad and never heard it was an issue to own pets. Growing up, we had cats, fish and one time birds. We gave those away after a while because they were so messy! LOL

A friend used to have a big dog, another one a rabbit and a classmate used to have a whole assortment of pets ranging from a cockatiel to a guinea pig. We also had other friends with cats. I'm sure there were many more in my community but I don't remember.

We did get a kitten after we got married, but had to give it away temporarily when we went on vacation and it got killed in an accident Crying . I would get a big dog, but hubby would NOT be on board and honestly, at this point, I don't see myself being able to take care of it - walks etc. Maybe when my kids are big enough to it Wink

I asked about chabad because I know they may have an issue with pregnant women or children being around non kosher animals.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:23 pm
Even tho we are chassidish I'm not going to ruin my marriage over it. My husband is not strong in his yiddishkeit as is. I tried my luck 1ce. I'm not here to be his rabbi.

The reason why I didn't ask specifically what is accepted in our circles is because I already know it's not the best idea. I wanted to hear from all circles. If it's only a minhag than I won't feel so guilty about it and I'll save the battles for things that are black and white in the Torah.

I read other posts about owning pets and how it is accepted in certain communities and it made me worried. Someone wrote that the school wasn't happy about it and neither the neighbors. Hmm...

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 1:38 pm
Don't own violent animals which can do damage to others. You know, like an ox that might gore another man's ox. Wink Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions