Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Considering moving my business to Lakewood
Previous  1  2

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Dec 06 2015, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
as the op, I can explain some of my discriminatory practices...

When I say I look for married vs. single for specific positions, that is only because I have found that married women have an added level of conscientiousness that the single girls lack. They are more reliant on their paycheck and in general have a more mature outlook. This is just my experience. Were I to find a unmarried girl who has those qualities I would definitely hire her to the position. I have hired unmarried girls in the past who got married on the job and all of a sudden you could see them taking their job more seriously.

Regarding male vs. female - don't sue me but I doubt any man would be comfortable working for me, or in a dominantly chitty chatty female environment. I am not going to waste mine or his time on an interview that will not go anywhere before it starts!!

Thanks for all your help ladies! We still have tons to iron out before this will become a reality (if it gets to that)

Anyone familiar with where the best place to advertise would be?

Illegal is illegal. You dont have to give health insurance in such a small business but you cannot (unless legitimate business reason like "female salon") not hire someone based off age, gender, religion, race etc. size of business does not matter.

You cannot change the pay based on anything other than qualifications, experience etc.
YOU assume men won't want the job. I know a nice frum man who worked in a mainly female office. (No yichud as people were constantly in and out).
YOU assume unmarried women are more conscientious. Maybe your experience has shown this but I know several unmarried women I would rather have in my employ or as coworkers than people I currently have who are married.

You can get into many deep legal troubles and huge lawsuits with these practices. Just one disgruntled potential employee is all you need...

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
as the op, I can explain some of my discriminatory practices...

When I say I look for married vs. single for specific positions, that is only because I have found that married women have an added level of conscientiousness that the single girls lack. They are more reliant on their paycheck and in general have a more mature outlook. This is just my experience. Were I to find a unmarried girl who has those qualities I would definitely hire her to the position. I have hired unmarried girls in the past who got married on the job and all of a sudden you could see them taking their job more seriously.

Regarding male vs. female - don't sue me but I doubt any man would be comfortable working for me, or in a dominantly chitty chatty female environment. I am not going to waste mine or his time on an interview that will not go anywhere before it starts!!

Thanks for all your help ladies! We still have tons to iron out before this will become a reality (if it gets to that)

If a man wanted to apply with the sole intent of getting you into trouble, (or making a quick buck for settling a lawsuit) and could prove that you didn't hire him based on gender, you would be in violation of labor laws. With a little savvy, you could save yourself from potential heartache. Simply post the job, and chances are the population will self-select - meaning, it's likely only women will apply. The way you are wording it, you could really end up with tzaros.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 07 2015, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:

Bp weekly jobs section; the voice; Lakewood scoop online
If you want, instead of the classifieds you can pay more money for a regular quarter page ad , you might get more attention that way.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:12 pm
Just wanted to post back to all those who said I was being discriminatory.
After speaking with an employment agency in Lakewood I was told I was well within my rights to look for a female employee as there is nothing discriminatory to hiring a person who will fit the company culture.
I can also request that employees dress modestly with skirts and long shirts as well as anything else related to company culture.

whew Very Happy

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:24 pm
regarding male vs. female - don't sue me but I doubt any man would be comfortable working for me, or in a dominantly chitty chatty female environment. I am not going to waste mine or his time on an interview that will not go anywhere before it starts

A man who is desperate for a paycheck doesn't worry bout the environment

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 23 2016, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
After speaking with an employment agency in Lakewood I was told I was well within my rights to look for a female employee as there is nothing discriminatory to hiring a person who will fit the company culture.
I can also request that employees dress modestly with skirts and long shirts as well as anything else related to company culture.

whew Very Happy

I second what debsey said and hope for your sake that this employment agency person wasz an attorney or consulted with an attorney

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 12:38 am
amother wrote:

whew Very Happy

I think you are missing a key point. No one is saying you are BEING discriminatory or that you are a bad person - we are saying you are leaving yourself open to a lawsuit if you are not smart about how you advertise. Sure you can LOOK for a female employee, and sure you can set a company culture. But you can't advertise based on gender. That can get you in trouble.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 1:31 am
As others have said, you can not hire a oerson's for any kind if reason but you can't NOT hire a person for a discriminatory reason or treat them differently for a discriminatory reason.

There is a lot of discrimination which goes on and it's difficult to prove but you are making it easy for someone to prove illegal action if you actually specify gender, age or marital status. And the agency is discriminating.

The issue f company culture is not grounds for discriminating. is it okay if people aren't comfortable with Jews in their company culture? Should people be allowed to not hire women because historically many well paying jobs in traditionally kale fields like law were not given to women.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 1:41 am
The legally conscientious non-Lakewood posters here should get their hands on the BP classified ads. You'd have a field day with them Very Happy.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 24 2016, 2:37 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
regarding male vs. female - don't sue me but I doubt any man would be comfortable working for me, or in a dominantly chitty chatty female environment. I am not going to waste mine or his time on an interview that will not go anywhere before it starts

A man who is desperate for a paycheck doesn't worry bout the environment

And I'm sure there are plenty of men who would be very happy to spend all day in an office with just women.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics