Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Working out & eating right for 5 WEEKS & no weight l
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:26 pm
ive been doing aerobics, cycling, strength training & yoga, working out 5 days a week and sometimes twice a day for 5 weeks and havent lost a pound! ive been eating well, no junk, not alot of carbs and I just dont get it Crying I have a alot to lose, its not like I cant shed that last 5 pounds either. I though that if you have more to lose, you tend to do it more quickly in the beginning. ive never been in this position before, I gained alot of weight after my last baby. I do feel healthier and stronger, I know thats important, but im so depressed Crying and I dont know what to try next. im not giving up the workouts, but if anyone has advise or can relate, I would like to hear it. thanx

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:45 pm
Maybe you are losing inches? measure yourself now and see if you measure less. Are your skirts feeling looser?

You might be losing fat but gaining muscle.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 7:57 pm
I might be losing inches, but I haven't measured. I guess I should do that. I have been wearing my stretchy maternity skirts mostly, so I dont know if they are getting looser. I do feel stronger and am able to push myself harder in the workouts, but isnt it weird that I havent lost a single pound? if I measure myself now, what should I measure and how long should I wait before I measure again. I weighed myself after the 2nd week, and then didn't try again until this week. its too upsetting to see no progress even though I know I must have made some What

cindy324

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 8:06 pm
Maybe you should have your thyroids checked. Often , women after childbirth develop a sluggish thyroid, which makes it VERY hard to lose weight, and very easy to gain. Also, you don't mention how long ago you've had your baby, but my doc told me that sometimes your metabolism needs a few months to start up again. Good luck, I know it's hard believe me, you're definitely on the right track.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2007, 8:11 pm
thanx for the support, its been 6 mos since. are there other signs of a "sluggish thyroid"?

purplegirl

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 3:50 am
Aww, shucks Sad That's incredibly frustrating.

Two Points:
1. Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same clothes? That's the only way to get an accurate scale reading, and to get consistent results, which you can measure against each other. Perhaps you have lost weight, but since you measured yourself inaccurately, it seems as though there was no loss?

Tip: Best time of day to weigh - in the morning, still in your nightclothes, after having gone to the bathroom. This will be your lowest weight Mr. Green

2. Sometimes "eat right and move" doesn't work for people. Sometimes you need to follow a healthy, sensible plan to lose weight. Not some fad diet, mind you, but something intelligent like the GI diet - the glycemic index thing, which is scientifically sound. The South Beach Diet is mostly GI, so that works too. (I learned this at a blog called Half of Me - she is a great writer, who lost almost 200 pounds, but *warning* she curses occassionally.)

You are clearly motivated and I'm sure that soon things will accelerate and then you'll come back and tell us how much you lost and we'll be sooooo envious!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

GOOD LUCK!!!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 9:33 am
More symptoms are: Depression. Tiredness. Extrme sensitive to cold and heat. Only a blood test can tell you for sure.

Even with the thyroid meds, it took me 5 long mos. of walking around hungry to lose 20 lbs, and the rest of the year to finish losing the 5 that were left. And I exercised every day, sometimes twice!

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 2:15 pm
If you are doing weight training, you might be gaining muscle weight and losing fat weight and coming out even! What is important is how you look and feel. I use my clothes as a gauge when I want to lose weight after the baby, and I hardly weigh myself. After the last baby, I got back down below my weight 15 years ago, but then I was an athlete and was working out a lot. Even though I weighed more then, I knew I was more firm and looked thinner than I did when I just lost the fat weight recently w/o excerisize, even though this number was lower!

su7kids

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 2:24 pm
I just read an excellent book called The Insulin Resistant Diet, which talks about balancing carbs and proteins, and why some people just can't lose weight.

Carbs are very important for energy and for brain power.

Maybe you're not balancing your meals right.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 4:19 pm
OP, what sort of exercise are you doing? How often, and for how long?

If you were gaining muscle, you'd know it.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 7:35 pm
There is a great book called ultrametabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman.
He explains clearly that some people ,the formula eat less and exercise more, just doesn't work for them. It's alot more complicated than that.....
He talks about the thyroid and gives a program that was very successful for a friend of mine she lost almost 100 lbs. after not losing for so long...

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 7:50 pm
I second the see if ur gaining muscle, check your measurements, not the scale.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 9:42 pm
thanx for all the support! I measured myself today & will try again in a few weeks to see if there is a difference. I will also try the weighing tips, books & the blog -ill try anything!!!! I would be fine with my weight no matter what it was if I actually looked more toned Very Happy without any weight loss though, if I trade it all for muscle, ill end up looking like ms. olympus! shock Puke
my workout schedule:
sunday = fast walking 1 hr
monday = strength training 1 hr
tuesday = zumba (aerobics) 1 hr + evening yoga (if I can) 1 hr
wednesday = cycling 1 hr 15
thursday = strenth/flexibility training 1 hr 15 + evening yoga 1 hr
friday = step aerobics with weights 1 hr 15
now, I had to work up to this. first week I worked out 3 days, second 4 days, third 6 days. I do feel stronger.
I guess I do need to have my thyroid checked. I am nervous about "dieting" and/or any meds, because I am nursing and had problems with my supply. I don't want do anything to jeopardize it, I already have to supplement 1-2x a day.
anyone had sucess with a particular program? purplegirl, have you actually tried the south beach diet? I can't afford anything that requires meetings. so it would have to be something I do on my own. the "balancing" of foods is an interesting concept. I have been trying to avoid most refined carbs, so maybe im not getting enough?
chocolate moose, do you have trouble keeping weight off with a thyroid problem & do you have to take meds forever?
thanx for listening

happymom

Post Sun, Jul 15 2007, 10:56 pm
im sure ull loose it! but make sure ure portions arent too big. someitmes u can be eating all the RIGHT foods just too MUCh of it.....two things that really help are not eaitng anything after dinner, and drinking lts and lots of water (no juice..)

purplegirl

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
purplegirl, have you actually tried the south beach diet? I can't afford anything that requires meetings. so it would have to be something I do on my own.

I personally haven't, but I know several people who have had a lot of success with South Beach / Glycemic Index eating. There are no meetings involved - you just need to read the book and follow the rules. You can eat until you are full on these eating plans - they are not diets, but lifestyle changes. You can buy the books used on Amazon or put it on hold in your local library branch.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 10:10 am
OP, do you actually know how many calories you should be consuming a day - and actually stick to it? If you haven't checked, you really should. Often people think they need more food and eat MUCH larger portions than they should.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 12:13 pm
I called the library -great idea! Thumbs Up I really have no idea about the calories. I never followed a diet plan that involved measuring calories. once upon a time, I was in very good shape, working out alot. in the past when I had to lose weight after pregnancies, I just worked out and I tried to cut out carbs like bread, rice, etc.
how many calories should I be eating? ive heard that you should have an extra 500 calories when breastfeeding, but what is the starting point? I always feel soooo hungry when nursing -maybe I am eating too much portion-wise Confused

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 12:24 pm
You should join sparkpeople.com. It's a free site and it's great b/c you can figure out the amount of calories you should be eating in order to lose weight.

This site is also helpful:
http://www.globalrph.com/diet_calc.cgi

You can put in your weight and height and amount of weight you'd like to lose and it shows the amount of calories you should be taking in each day.

stem

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 12:33 pm
You need carbs for breastfeeding, without them your milk supply will lessen dramatically. If you do South Beach, make sure to skip phase 1 which is completely carb-free.

stem

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 12:35 pm
I highly recommend weight watchers. They allot extra points for breastfeeding and if you stick with the program, you are almost guaranteed to lose weight. Everyone I knew who's ever been on it swears by it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise