Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Emunas yisroel boro park
1  2  3  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 2:49 pm
B"Hcan someone shed some light on the emunas yisroel community in bp? Husband and I are looking for a nice heimishe ruchniustic yirat shamayim community and heard nice things about this shul

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:11 pm
amother wrote:
B"Hcan someone shed some light on the emunas yisroel community in bp? Husband and I are looking for a nice heimishe ruchniustic yirat shamayim community and heard nice things about this shul

Emunas Yisroel is made up of a very nice mix of families.
But please be aware that they preach and try to adhere to the same intimate practices as the gerrer chassidim.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
But please be aware that they preach and try to adhere to the same intimate practices as the gerrer chassidim.

Interesting... Is it considered a Kiruv shul? Is there active mekareving? And are all the families chassidish? Or is it a place where modern people go as well.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:20 pm
Intimate practices like ger??? Never knew. What are the ger intimate practices???

pesek zman

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting... Is it considered a Kiruv shul? Is there active mekareving? And are all the families chassidish? Or is it a place where modern people go as well.

I have cousins who go there (and have for hears) and have been there a few times. I don't consider myself modern (though certainly by comparison to EY I am) but am pretty sure the entire shul is chassidish or chassidish lite: definitely not 'modern'

Smiling Wife

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:

??? Where did u hear that from? Sorry I disagree completely.
Rav Wolfson, who was the mashgiach of Torah ve daas is the Rav of.the shul,Google him and look up some of his shiurim ( Yiddish only mostly).
Do you understand Yiddish well? Because like I said the Rav speaks Yiddish and most congregants are chassidishe family who yes, speak yiddisb at home. I wouldn't call it a.kiruv shul, but out of all the shuls in boro park you wouldn't be frowed upon if you dress differently -BUT STILL TZNUA- so in that sense it's friendly to visitors, but if you decide.to live.there be aware that it has standards and unspoken expectations of adhering to tznius etc. Where are you from and why do you want to move to Borough Park to emunaa Yisroel? I must say its a beautiful warm shul.
It's chassidishe and to outsiders it doesn't look any different than any other chassidishe place, men wear shtreimels etc.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 6:58 pm
Theres a number of very very wealthy families davening there. A great percentage of the others are in Chinuch. I havent heard that new people join the Shul unless they have relatives there. Many of the families are Meshadech with one another.

Davening is very long every Shabbos and especially Yom Tov.

Ive heard that most kids brought up in that Shul, both rich, poor and medium, end up living the Kollel lifestyle without ostentatiousness, which is good. I dont think there are too many men there working early in marriage, so its a pretty homogeneous crowd.

I think any women walking in there, not dressed as tzniusdik as the rest, might not be looked down at, but wouldnt be comfortable.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:

I think any women walking in there, not dressed as tzniusdik as the rest, might not be looked down at, but wouldnt be comfortable.

I would disagree. People there are friendly. If you are tznius, even not to their standards, you will feel comfortable.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 7:42 pm
A male relative loves it there because of it being a Shul of all Baalei Midos, and no Shvitzers/Braggards/show-offs because doing that would be looked down at. The very wealthy are discreet.

Female relative dislikes it because if a child wants to go to the father, the mother has no way of finding her husband (that was her experience whenever there). Men are a floor below and because the Minyan is huge, you cant find your husband.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:
A male relative loves it there because of it being a Shul of all Baalei Midos, and no Shvitzers/Braggards/show-offs because doing that would be looked down at. The very wealthy are discreet

Female relative dislikes it because if a child wants to go to the father, the mother has no way of finding her husband (that was her experience whenever there). Men are a floor below and because the Minyan is huge, you cant find your husband.

About the second part of your post, this is an issue in most large shuls.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
I would disagree. People there are friendly. If you are tznius, even not to their standards, you will feel comfortable.

I cant picture anyone young or old, dressed in a trendy outfit, not feeling like a fifth leg. Its a very spiritual place. Women dress like Bais Yaakov (BP) High School teachers. No mix in that regard. No tight anything, no very high heels, nothing that calls attention. I used to see a very wealthy woman who davens there, going there on Shabbos wearing red lipstick (definitely put on before Shabbos) but not any more. For the past year she doesnt wear lipstick on Shabbos. Maybe she was told not to. Theyre in an upward spirituality mode.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
Intimate practices like ger??? Never knew. What are the ger intimate practices???

Restrictions on hugging, kissing, f0replay and having intimate relations with one's own spouse.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
I cant picture anyone young or old, dressed in a trendy outfit, not feeling like a fifth leg. Its a very spiritual place. Women dress like Bais Yaakov (BP) High School teachers. No mix in that regard. No tight anything, no very high heels, nothing that calls attention. I used to see a very wealthy woman who davens there, going there on Shabbos wearing red lipstick (definitely put on before Shabbos) but not any more. For the past year she doesnt wear lipstick on Shabbos. Maybe she was told not to. Theyre in an upward spirituality mode.

What Or maybe the woman made a change on her own? I don't know, but whenever I have gone, I definitely felt like I stuck out a bit (I'm tznius but obviously not Chassidish.) But people were so friendly!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Restrictions on hugging, kissing, f0replay and having intimate relations with one's own spouse.

I dont know where you get your information from, but this is mind boggling.

My Dh grew up there and we are currently affiliated with Emunas Yisroel. Never have I heard of intimacy restrictions.

His chosson teacher is also a member of Emunas Yisroel, so I am baffled.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 8:32 pm
I used to live there up until 8 months ago. so I can tell you. the crowd was very very frum frum yeshivish from the start. and because the mashgiach is so tolerant. he attracted chasidish pp that are very frum and serious. he also has a varimkeit for chasidim. so over the years a lot of chasidish pp joined. and a lot of the old timers that I know that are yeshivish, their childrern are going toward chasidish. so it became very chasidish. but there are plenty of yeshivish too. I think its fizzling out. bp is mainly chasidish at this point. oh of course there are yeshivish but its changed alot. but when I davened there the davening has a lot of singing and its mainly the yeshivish type. the ones who daven the chasidish havara are still davening the yeshivish way. but clearly there is a lot of tolerance. or it wouldnt work. noone talks in middle of davening. its probably the only shul there like that. not to insult anyone. its a problem all over. but ey is known for that. they are the finest people. I love every person I know from emunas y. pp are very nice there. but if you dress trendy you will notice the difference as they have a shita of simplicity. they aim for it. walk in there and you will be amazed I love that place! one more thing I miss from brooklyn. oh I have plenty of good pp wher ei live now too.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
My Dh grew up there and we are currently affiliated with Emunas Yisroel. Never have I heard of intimacy restrictions.

Is Rabbi Wolfson ok with women being on the internet, in general, and specifically Imamother type sites?

yogabird

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Amother, how do you know this?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 9:59 pm
The families I know from there do not have internet.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
The families I know from there do not have internet.

How does the leadership there deal with families who daven there who are found to have internet at home for reasons other than a business? Is it on honesty/trust basis, or are people asked to get rid of internet or leave?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 13 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
I dont know where you get your information from, but this is mind boggling.

His chosson teacher is also a member of Emunas Yisroel, so I am baffled.

The restrictions I'm referring to above are gerrer restrictions. I don't know the specifics on the emunas yisroel restrictions, but know that they are similar to that of ger and that they hold from this same kotzker shita. It is newer in the emunas yisroel community and not as wide spread among the congregants than in the gerrer community. The couples do not act as restricted in public. But R Wolfson holds from prishut.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating