Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
The "Roberg method"
1  2  3  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 6:31 pm
Has any one taken their child to mrs/rabbi roberg in lakewood or any one that they trained in for therapy ...have you seen a improvement in your child

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 6:42 pm
I am curently sending to one of her trainees. I did see a lot of change in the begining. but now its gotten like almost I dont see the point. I dont know why. I spoke to the one doing the therapy and she isnt agreeing with me. my mil is paying so I am coninuing. but honestly I am dissapointed at this point. maybe bec he needs more time. sometimes it gets worse till it gets better. so I am keeping my fingers crossed. and waiting. oh he wasnt doing his homework much for a little while so I dont know if that has anything to do. my ds is challenging. hes normal but needs help. so I daven that hashem should help him. I cant rely only on this. I am hoping this will help.
you need to know and understand this type of method. and be honest with yourself if you can do the homework everyday. or at least most days.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 6:45 pm
I have a relative who was helped tremendously.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:15 pm
I was just discussing this with another OT in town. She says that the Roberg method is not the best way to go, the goal is something to the effect of treating the source of the problem and that's it. Other OTs don't go by her method because it doesn't treat the whole child and related symptoms.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:25 pm
The concensus has been that success is seen during treatment but no longterm carryover.

A pet peeve of mine is why people are going to an unlicensed therapist? You are dealing with neurotransmitters firing in the brain and retraining of neural pathways. Why not go to a licensed ,trained OT? I feel for all those throwing money down the drain.

Additionally, she claims to "cure" everything from cleptomania to bedwetting to attention issues to learning disabilities. ...Anyone who claims to cure it all doesn't have credibility in my book.

A final point, one of her "trainees " was a friend of mine. Sweet as sugar but a regular mom. She got her "training " by taking her own kids to see Roberg. She's not a college grad and has zero knowledge of muscle groups and physiological workings of the body! Why is the community so gullible as to fall for this?!!!

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:54 pm
listen I am using her now. so what your saying is not going to make me discontinue. she has helped hundreds. my only beef with her is that shes knocking all doctors. and I think she is putting herself into hot water with that. bec we all need doctors, no matter hwo much we hate them. they do have training and studied the body more then all these so called therapists.
secondly some pp get helped by these types of things. we dont know who the shaliach will be. I have tried doctors and they couldnt help. so I had to try sth else. hopefully I will see more progress. her method has reasoning. call her she will give it to you
knocking a woman that is there to help and this is her parnassah isnt fair.
she hasnt harmed anyone or she would be reported. so far so good

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 7:55 pm
Just OOC what is this method?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 8:09 pm
seeker wrote:
Just OOC what is this method?

I'm wondering if it isn't super secret.

Just how does it compare to other methodologies?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 8:18 pm
I havent studied it. but she does have a book she sells that you can learn what it is. I wasnt interested. I gave it to my mil to read, shes an OT and she claims that this method has credibility. and my mil is a highly qualified ot. I wouldnt knock mrs roberg. I just hate when her trainees knock doctors. that I think is wrong

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 8:20 pm
I did this for my 9 year old son. He is a regular normal child in mainstream school. Hes bright but was working VERY hard to be there. There has always been something about him that I just couldnt put my finger on... he fluctuates back and forth between knowing something or not knowing something. Some times he will not know something even if he knew it 15 min ago. Hes been through vision therepy, ot, speech and language, social work and roberg he was tested by the boe they havent come up with anything new. His hearing was also tested and fine bh.(he was evaluated for something very similar to nurolinks but was told he wasnt a candidate) everything had some benifit(maybe?) But there was still some thing there..before he started roberg he was able to read but really didnt like it, was not trained at night and wet him self ocasinaly during the day. He also could get very silly at times.we went through roberg for about 8 months with a trainee. We (me and him) put in so much effort with the "homework" of the program daily. About a month into the program my son was completely trained day and night. Just like that. Was it the exercises, would it have happened on its own ill never know . He also started to read on his own which he NEVER did . He would happliy read with me but Never on his own. At this point he is not overly silly ..appropriately with in age range now. After the 8 months or so when the trainee thought that my son had completed the program we went back for an eval by mrs roberg. She said she still saw that he was puting in to much effort and that his tounge was 'white' meaning that not all was ok in his gut and that could be holding him back. She gave us one specific exersise to do daily plus to eat one clove of raw garlic and take a 50iu of accidofolus a day . Also to bath once a week in epsom salts . This was all to 'clean out the gut' and then come back in another 4 weeks for reaval.we did it all religiously and went back in 4 weeks time. This time rabbi roberg saw us. My sons tounge was still white. Very interestingly rabbi roberg described my son to me just as mrs roberg has in the past to a tee. Im sure that both rabbi and mrs did not discuss my son. They have a never ending amout of children they see. Rabbi roberg told us to continue with all this but to do the spesific exersise twice a day for another 6 weeks . We did it but I was sarting to get wary....and didnt put my whole heart and soal into it..of course my son picked up my vibes.... and I let it fizzle out . I did not go back for another reeval. I am not satisefied . Im disappointed. What ever we got out of the program has bh stayed. My son did not regress bh. But im disappointed that if it worked so well for the few positive things we got out of this program why not more. I was promissed the world when we started (which I did not buy..I went into this very cautiously) but when I started seeing AMAZING things happening I wanted more. (Or were these improvements nothing to do with this program?) I hear now that mrs roberg herself was trained into this my a mrs krupenia and that this mrs krupenia has a better grasp on this...I also was advised to look into executive function... any one have similar experiece... there is still that something right under the surface that I cant seem to get at and these therapys dont seam to either....problem is my son can come accros as lazy which is NOT the case everything seems to be much harder for him then for his pairs...

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:57 pm
amother above me, your son sounds alot like my son. I also went to Roberg a couple of years ago. He did much better in school but then regressed afterwards (I stopped taking him, because person we were going to had a baby and I just never went back), which pple say is the problem. Happens to be he is working out once a week now by a gym class (fusion fitness boot camp)that does similar excersizes and I actually saw a change in him. He is schleppy and hard to get out of bed in the morning...a few weeks after he started this excersize class, he was just getting out of bed in the morning without a problem. I do believe its excersize that helps. From all u describe about your son, the underlying issue is probably some sort of ADD. Thats my conclusion about my son over the years. He has a little trouble focusing which is related to alot of these other things. I am considering trying medication to see how it helps and if its worth it.

noosheen

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 10:01 pm
What is this Roberg method?
Please explain

Queen6

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 6:52 am
Avigail Roberg has a good method that makes a lot of sense. She is basing it on children who missed milestones as babies. They did not use their muscles properly so they are weak. Weak bones and muscles = weak mind. That can come out in ADHD, super wild, or super weak and withdrawn.
It definitely makes sense. However it "works" like any other therapy.

Things work until they don't. They're tood, but they're not everything. It's not an exit package, it's not the end of all problems... It's a process.

Don't dump millions of dollars and time into any therapist, do it fully but don't let them take advantage of you cuz you'll be going for the rest of your life.
Keep an eye on it - if you're not seeing progress then stop.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 9:51 am
I agree with Queen.
I worked with Mrs Roberg and someone she trained. She definitely has a special "chush" and her program is all based on research.
When she met my child, she described all her issues perfectly within 2 minutes of meeting her, and me not telling her anything. She picked up on so many issues we were having that we did not connect the dots at all. Behavioral, social, academic...
they say straight out that they're not looking make angels, but rather help the kids get to the age appropriate developmental stages.
My child was a different kid after a few months of serious work on our part. You really have to follow through to see results.
Were a couple of years later and I still see setbacks sometimes, but its in the range of NORMAL!! (and we need to work on the probiotics, garlic and epsom salt. When I am good with it, I definitely see results.)
its not a be all and end all but they really try hard to help people.

noosheen

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 10:01 am
Do you think it could work with a high functioning child on the autistic spectrum?

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 12:08 pm
There is a reason that states require licensure to practice therapy. It sounds like these Roberts are practicing therapy without a license. That is a huge red flag and opens clients up to a variety of risks. There is no way to ensure the safety and efficacy of any therapy practice unless the therapist is practicing evidenced based therapy within the practice framework of a licensed professional. I don't know who the Robergs are, but I do know that way too many people have been hurt by the unethical and illegal practices of unlicensed practitioners. Buyers beware.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 12:40 pm
I don't live in Lakewood, and I wonder if the Robergs can help my son.

How much do they charge?

Do they have a website?

How often do you take your child to them- weekly or monthly?

debsey

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
There is a reason that states require licensure to practice therapy. It sounds like these Roberts are practicing therapy without a license. That is a huge red flag and opens clients up to a variety of risks. There is no way to ensure the safety and efficacy of any therapy practice unless the therapist is practicing evidenced based therapy within the practice framework of a licensed professional. I don't know who the Robergs are, but I do know that way too many people have been hurt by the unethical and illegal practices of unlicensed practitioners. Buyers beware.

Cannot LIKE enough. What does "her program is based on research" even mean? What research? Which research? In which peer reviewed journals? Sure, we know exercising is helpful for many kids. That doesn't make it "therapy" or "treatment." Get your kid a treadmill or a basketball hoop and save the rest of the money! She's "training" in her "therapists" because they took their own kids to her and she's then having them "treat" people under her? Do you know how many red flags that raises? I have a "chush" for science. That doesn't make me a brain surgeon. It makes me so sad and angry when I read things like this.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 26 2015, 5:33 pm
she does not call herself a therapist, mainly they just excersize the core muscles. Its basically excersizes that an OT does and some yoga moves. Alot has to do with the order of what a baby learns to do and the muscles that are strengthened as a baby grows and moves. It's not like she holds herself a licensed therapist. She may have done more research than what therapists have learned in school. A while back I took my son there...theres nothing crazy that they are doing that you have to worry about an unlicensed therapist.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Dec 26 2015, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
she does not call herself a therapist, mainly they just excersize the core muscles. Its basically excersizes that an OT does and some yoga moves. Alot has to do with the order of what a baby learns to do and the muscles that are strengthened as a baby grows and moves. It's not like she holds herself a licensed therapist. She may have done more research than what therapists have learned in school. A while back I took my son there...theres nothing crazy that they are doing that you have to worry about an unlicensed therapist.

Sorry, what you are describing is practicing therapy without a license, which is illegal. Whether or not you think she does not pose a risk to the children she claims to treat, she is essentially charging a lot of money for therapy that she is not qualified to administer. How is she different than any of the other charlatans who practice without a license?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)