Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If the oven is on a timer

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:08 am
If the oven is on a timer to come on on shabbat day, can I use it to heat the food if I dont close the oven door at all.?

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:48 am
That's not a safe situation.

AFAIK, you can only use the oven to heat food if the food is in before shabbat starts. You can cook something overnight if you want, but you can't add food to it.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 9:13 am
saw50st8 wrote:
That's not a safe situation.

AFAIK, you can only use the oven to heat food if the food is in before shabbat starts. You can cook something overnight if you want, but you can't add food to it.

Why not?

And why isn't it safe? It's on a timer instead of on overnight while noone is watching it.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Why not?

And why isn't it safe? It's on a timer instead of on overnight while noone is watching it.

Leaving the oven open isn't safe. It will get home and someone can bump into it and hurt themselves.

However, I learned that you can't add food to the oven once shabbat starts. I don't know if there are more lenient opinions out there though.

GetReal

Post Thu, Dec 24 2015, 8:18 pm
There are halachic issues with warming up food that is cold, straight from the fridge. There are ways to do it, like putting on top of an upside down pot on the blech. But you need to find out if that works in an oven. I don't think it does.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen