Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Calories bone in vs bone out chicken

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 8:10 am
I can't find a clear answer.
Is there a difference in calories between bone in and bone out chicken leg quarters, dark meat?
I remove the skin before baking

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 8:17 am
First of all you need calories and the saturated fat being bad for you thing was a giant mistake. So do some healthy research before calorie counting.

Also, I don't know if maybe I'm missing something, but it's still the same piece of chicken. The only thing in the bones that might come out is nutrients.

Eat the skin and leave out all sugar from your diet, that's how to lose weight. Studies show now that low fat diets can actually cause weight gain due to other things eaten instead of fat to give taste/fill you up/make you feel happy etc. If you eat enough fat, your body changes the whole way it digests things, making you burn fat instead or sugar, which means you lose weight and feel better and don't need to eat as often. If you eat low fat, you are forcing your body to retain the fat it already has and burn other things like sugar.

Yes, anytime you take in less calories than you use you will lose weight, but you won't be healthy.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 8:20 am
Why would there be a difference? Do you eat the bones?

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
First of all you need calories and the saturated fat being bad for you thing was a giant mistake. So do some healthy research before calorie counting.

Also, I don't know if maybe I'm missing something, but it's still the same piece of chicken. The only thing in the bones that might come out is nutrients.

Eat the skin and leave out all sugar from your diet, that's how to lose weight. Studies show now that low fat diets can actually cause weight gain due to other things eaten instead of fat to give taste/fill you up/make you feel happy etc. If you eat enough fat, your body changes the whole way it digests things, making you burn fat instead or sugar, which means you lose weight and feel better and don't need to eat as often. If you eat low fat, you are forcing your body to retain the fat it already has and burn other things like sugar.

Yes, anytime you take in less calories than you use you will lose weight, but you won't be healthy.

I'm on a specific diet given to me from my naturopath dr., who is also an md, for specific health reasons. So, I'm following his recommendations. I am calorie counting so I can figure out how many side dishes (vegetables) I can have. My diet is NO sugar, NO starch, NO flour (except for very special, very low carb challah) and low in animal protein and animal fat (except for Shabbat). It is a vegan diet all week, except Shabbat I can have chicken (organic, no hormone), and wild caught fish. I am getting fats from other vegan sources, so it's definitely NOT a low fat diet.
I opted to eat dark part of the chicken rather then white (yuck), so it needs to be no more than 200 calories of chicken per Shabbat meal, 2x.

I was just wondering, since I always make soup from bones, and it accumulate fat on top (which I do remove). Do you think that it will add calories to have bone in chicken vs baking it bone less.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 2:25 pm
Curious question
Bump

sky

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 3:04 pm
I think it is the same. You just weight it without the bones.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 3:31 pm
No difference as it's the meat that consumes that would be weighed

Cooking method obviously does impact calories as all things being equal a boneless skinless chicken breast has the least since it has zero visible fat and so very little fat would get into the sauce.

Dark meat would have more calories because it's more difficult to remove all the fat especially with the bone and I think it also has more calories per ounce than white meat.

Not sure if your question but in terms of calories, baked boneless would be lower than dark chicken thigh cooked in a soup since it wold be absorbing more fat while being cooked even though you are removing fat from the soup.

It really depends on how ruthless you want to be because you are not going to be ingesting significant calories either way from two ounce once a week.

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 4:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
No difference as it's the meat that consumes that would be weighed

Cooking method obviously does impact calories as all things being equal a boneless skinless chicken breast has the least since it has zero visible fat and so very little fat would get into the sauce.

Dark meat would have more calories because it's more difficult to remove all the fat especially with the bone and I think it also has more calories per ounce than white meat.

Not sure if your question but in terms of calories, baked boneless would be lower than dark chicken thigh cooked in a soup since it wold be absorbing more fat while being cooked even though you are removing fat from the soup.

It really depends on how ruthless you want to be because you are not going to be ingesting significant calories either way from two ounce once a week.

The reason I'm asking is because different calorie sites are giving me different calorie counts. Which site is most reliable for calorie counts

I will be eating 4oz for Shabbat dinner and 4oz Shabbat lunch, 8oz per week.

I'm allowed 200 calories of animal protein per meal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise