Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Need new Shabbos chicken idea
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:23 pm
basyisr0el wrote:
Honey chicken - honey, soysauce, ketchup, garlic powder

This sounds like something my kids could get behind. Approximate proportions and directions please?

I think I'm going to do the garlic idea from SorGold tonight and this next week and run a popularity contest.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:32 pm
I do it all the time. Officially one cup honey half a cup soy sauce 1 tbsp ketchup half a teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of oil. I'm not the type to ever measure, it doesn't make a difference. I bake at 400 for about an hour uncovered

abs

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:39 pm
I didn't give you this recipe initially because you said you wanted to stay away from sugar. It does have a lot of sugar, but has been an absolute hit with my VERY picky kids.
½ c. honey
⅛ c. soy sauce
4 T. brown sugar
¼ c. ketchup
Mix ingredients into a sauce. Sprinkle garlic, pepper, paprika on chicken. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 1 hour

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 9:58 pm
If recipe says bake 3 hours, do you think it would be ok to bake for 1.5 tonight and 1.5 tomorrow? I can maybe do 2 tonight. I'm running late and it needs to cool before I can put it in fridge.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:09 pm
Why don't you just let it marinate tonight and bake tomorrow

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:10 pm
Bake it until it's cooked tonight and then you can let it warm in the oven before Shabbat . It doesn't take 3 hours to cook chicken so you are fine but it will be less soft

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:11 pm
If you want to stay away from lots of sugar: you can do green olives turmeric and tomato sauce ( my siblings loved olives as kids), dried apricots, chickpeas, tumeric, cinnamon, lemon and white wine.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:36 pm
seeker wrote:
This sounds like something my kids could get behind. Approximate proportions and directions please?

I think I'm going to do the garlic idea from SorGold tonight and this next week and run a popularity contest.

I hope you like as much as we do... it also smells really good. You could probably bake half tonight but would need to account for the extra time on baking tomorrow when heating up from being cold.
Ketchup does have alot of sugar so if you are looking to avoid sugar, ketchup is one thing to cut out. Honey is also questionable especially when heated and not raw... It also would give your kids a sweet palate, which is what you said you wanted to avoid... I cut out sweet cooking once my oldest was born. They taste sweet chicken now and say "Ew its sweet". The kids still like candy and cookies though LOL

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:40 pm
No more direction for the honey and garlic chicken. I seriously mix up honey and garlic powder in a measuring cup (without measuring), and drizzle and then smear it on the chicken and potato slices...I bake it covered for about 2 hours till everything is all nice and soft.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:41 pm
I am not looking to cut sugar completely but I do try to avoid white sugar and I also want to keep it very low and not give the kids a sweet tooth. I can handle some ketchup here and there but 1 CUP of honey in a chicken recipe is just... no. This is supposed to be the food. Even my desserts don't usually have a cup of honey.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:47 pm
Oh ok. Ketchup, maple syrup and crushed garlic is delicious and soy free.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 10:57 pm
Do your kids go for chicken breaded in cornflake crumbs. There's a recipe I got on here recently that we love, you marinate in oil and garlic overnight, then coat in cornflake crumbs and bake. I know you said they don't go for garlic, but the cornflake crumbs take away some of the garlickyness of it.

There's also the Kids in the Kitchen version that my kids like a lot. You dip in egg, then cornflake crumbs and drizzle honey on top. Then you bake for about an hour uncovered. The honey makes it sweet, but it's not a lot of honey.

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 11:15 pm
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/4.....cken/ - it makes a teriyaki marinade with pineapple juice and some brown sugar. It will work fine on bone-in chicken.

In general, I aim for whole roast chicken. Do you have any amaretto in the the house?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/4.....cken/
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8.....cken/ - Five spice powder is good if you want to trick the kids into thinking a recipe is sweeter than it really is.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 8:38 am
Oh, yeah...sometimes I'll sprinkle cinnamon along with other spices for a twist.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 9:01 am
Try marinating in different fruit juices.

Pineapple is a natural tenderizer, and your chicken will be so soft you won't believe it.
Apple juice with a bit of maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon.
Orange juice and a bit of soy sauce and garlic powder for an asian flavor.

Agave syrup is much sweeter than honey, so you don't need to use as much. I'd say just a tablespoon for a whole chicken, and add spices as you wish.

I love Indian food, so I make a lot of tandoori, briyani, garam masala, and tikka masala dishes, as well as mild curry. DD hates hot spices, so serve siracca on the side.

Thai chicken with cilantro, ginger, and coconut milk is amazing. Serve with fresh lime wedges and jasmine rice.

Boned chicken breasts or thighs, sliced thin and stir fried with veggies, served with brown rice.

Will try to come up with more ideas after Shabbos.

baltomom

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 9:09 am
Another easy idea for a future Shabbos: Season chicken with paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Shmear with slightly-thawed frozen orange juice concentrate (doesn't need to be very much--one can on concentrate is probably enough for at least 4 weeks--depending on how much chicken you make). Bake uncovered at 450 for about 30 minutes, or until brown. Then turn down the over to 350 and bake for another 2+ hours.

smss

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:41 am
baltomom wrote:
Another easy idea for a future Shabbos: Season chicken with paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Shmear with slightly-thawed frozen orange juice concentrate (doesn't need to be very much--one can on concentrate is probably enough for at least 4 weeks--depending on how much chicken you make). Bake uncovered at 450 for about 30 minutes, or until brown. Then turn down the over to 350 and bake for another 2+ hours.

That sounds yum! I'm going to try this!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:42 am
I remember seeing a lemonade chicken recipe in Kosher By Design (original) -- never made it, but it might work.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:51 am
The AMI had a recipe for Orange chicken that looked appealing. It had 1/2 cup orange marmalade, soy sauce and garlic. Maybe someone here can look up the actual recipe?

pause

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:04 am
I made up this recipe: Saute onions and garlic, add chicken and orange slices. Cook in orange juice. Delicious!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey