Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Need new Shabbos chicken idea
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sleepybeauty

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 11:06 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Try marinating in different fruit juices.

Pineapple is a natural tenderizer, and your chicken will be so soft you won't believe it.
Apple juice with a bit of maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon.
Orange juice and a bit of soy sauce and garlic powder for an asian flavor.

Agave syrup is much sweeter than honey, so you don't need to use as much. I'd say just a tablespoon for a whole chicken, and add spices as you wish.

I love Indian food, so I make a lot of tandoori, briyani, garam masala, and tikka masala dishes, as well as mild curry. DD hates hot spices, so serve siracca on the side.

Thai chicken with cilantro, ginger, and coconut milk is amazing. Serve with fresh lime wedges and jasmine rice.

Boned chicken breasts or thighs, sliced thin and stir fried with veggies, served with brown rice.

Will try to come up with more ideas after Shabbos.

Yum! These all sound amazing. Can I come for dinner? Tongue Out

Miri7

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 2:59 pm
My family favorite is "crispy chicken". It's super simple, so it may not be what you're looking for, but it's the one recipe my kids love and keep asking for over and over.

The idea is to cook the chicken hot and fast. It's amazingly moist. And the crispy skin is delicious.

Take chicken cut up into 8 pieces. Pat dry.
Place in baking dish. Sprinkle salt over the top. Coarser grain salt is best, but any will do.

Place in oven at 450 degrees. Bake for around 45 minutes. Start peeking at about 40 minutes, when the skin is golden, take it out. Don't leave it in too long - your chicken will eventually dry out.

We have this almost every Friday night - I take it out of the oven right before candle lighting. If you want to keep it warm, just turn the oven off and leave it in there. If you cover the chicken, it will still taste good but the skin will get soggy from the moisture.

SorGold

Post Sat, Jan 09 2016, 10:50 pm
Which chicken did you make? Did your family like?

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:56 am
To late for this week but I make the easiest silan chicken that has a really mild sweet flavour.
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper then smear all over with silan getting it in under the skin.
Bake 200c an hour covered and a half an hour uncovered.

ally

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:16 am
Amarante wrote:
It's too late for tonight because you need to marinate but this recipe would work for kids because it's slightly sweet but not sickeningly sweet so adults would also like. Chicken is delicious cold and you can freeze in the marinade.

I cook on my indoor grill.

Unbelievable Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Allrecipes.com
Serving Size: 6

Summary:

"This unusual combination of common ingredients is fabulous! Everyone who tastes it asks me to share the recipe. You will love it and the many compliments you get - I promise!"

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1. In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.

I make this one as well and it is amazing! I like to cube the chicken and skewer it.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:17 am
I made SorGold's caramelized garlic one. It was really good. The kids more or less ate it - one more than the other - but the real test will be if they eat it again on Monday. I always used to depend on Shabbos leftovers for a weekday meal. On Shabbos I think they eat it more willingly because they want to proceed to dessert faster. I don't MAKE them clean their plates before dessert but I do sit around longer to give them the chance to decide they're hungry enough...

naomi2

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 3:30 pm
I'm not op but I tried "everything bagel chicken" and it was delicious!!! I put it in for an hour and half and the onions were not quite ready as I wanted. Also, I sprinkled the chicken with salt and added some red wine vinegar and olive oil to moisten the chicken and onions. im gonna experiment with this maybe cover then uncover halfway and increase cooking time. Thank you so much!! perfect for my lo-carb DH

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:09 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
another fun idea: rub chicken in a little oil. mince a lot of fresh onions and garlic. pile mountains of onion and garlic on top of each piece of chicken. bake open. the onion and garlic closest to the chicken will fry, the top of the mounds will get crisp. I call it "everything bagel chicken."

can u use frozen crushed garlic cubes? this sounds awesome!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:48 pm
debsey wrote:
can u use frozen crushed garlic cubes? this sounds awesome!

I've never used them, but I'm sure it will taste good, even if it's not exactly the same.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 8:52 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I'm not op but I tried "everything bagel chicken" and it was delicious!!! I put it in for an hour and half and the onions were not quite ready as I wanted. Also, I sprinkled the chicken with salt and added some red wine vinegar and olive oil to moisten the chicken and onions. im gonna experiment with this maybe cover then uncover halfway and increase cooking time. Thank you so much!! perfect for my lo-carb DH

glad you liked it. you can spice the chicken before piling the onions and garlic on top, that's yummy. I never tried the vinegar, I would assume that would steam the onions and garlic too much? the flavor sounds delicious, though. I'll have to try it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 2:00 pm
Fennel-orange chicken
- chicken pieces cut in 1/8th
- salt
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 orange
- 1 teasp chicken soup powder
- 1/2 cup white wine or orange juice

Use a large pot enough to accomodate all pieces. Clean and remov visible fat from chicken (remove skin if preferred). sprinkle with small amount of salt. Cut fennel into large strips, cut orange in 8 wedges. Sear chicken with small amount of oil on both sides (to avoid shrinkage), add fennel and orange, soup powder and liquid. Place a lid, cook for 20-30min till cooked through over a low flame (larger pieces take a bit longer to cook).

Silan chicken
-chicken pieces (I'd keep skin on for this recipe)
1/2 cup silan (date molasses)
salt and generous pinch of coarse ground pepper

Cover chicken pieces with silan/salt/pepper, marinate for 1hr. Bake 170C oven covered for 30minutes, then uncovered for further 15-20min. Check for doneness and make sure pieces don't burn.

If your children likes spaghetti, there's chicken and macaroni casserole that's our shabbat dinner staple. You roast chicken till done, save all gravy and shred meat in larger pieces, cook pasta as directed, mix in with chicken, gravy and pasta sauce, and bake for another 20-30min in an oiled casserole till the bottom comes out crisp. Everyone digs in.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 3:38 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
glad you liked it. you can spice the chicken before piling the onions and garlic on top, that's yummy. I never tried the vinegar, I would assume that would steam the onions and garlic too much? the flavor sounds delicious, though. I'll have to try it.

it was just a bunch of shakes of the bottle over the chicken pieces.

miri36

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 4:10 pm
Kosher by design short on time tomato basil chicken is always a huge hit with everyone. It's really delicious. I also started making the one with the olives from that cookbook and that's also really yummy. ( I do it without olives.)

jump

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 11:08 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
another fun idea: rub chicken in a little oil. mince a lot of fresh onions and garlic. pile mountains of onion and garlic on top of each piece of chicken. bake open. the onion and garlic closest to the chicken will fry, the top of the mounds will get crisp. I call it "everything bagel chicken."

Made this for Shabbos was a hit served the leftovers tonight and those that were not home enjoyed it. Planning on using it for a meat dish this Shabbos. Thanks

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 11:52 pm
So the one who ate better on Shabbos also ate the chicken on Monday, the other barely touched it but I guess she wasn't so hungry anyway because she didn't kvetch or wake up at night either. Maybe she had a late snack or something. It was simple but good and I will add it to our rotating repertoire (I am not the type who serves the same thing every Shabbos.)

I think this week I'll try one of the ones with orange juice, not as sugary as honey but still sweet and I have juice sitting around anyway.

rowo

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 6:30 am
Really easy and yummy, the tomatoes add a bit of sweetness without sugar.

Place chicken pieces in the pan
Add cherry tomatoes and olives
Roughly chop some basil and sprinkle on top
Add some crushed garlic,
Salt and pepper
Drizzle a little olive oil

Bake uncovered

Kids love squishing the tomatoes on to their challah Smile

(Roasted Without the chicken it's also a nice side dish, looks very pretty with tomatoes on the vine)

Fiveboyz

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 7:44 am
I just heard of this new one I hope to try mix duck sauce with Ortega taco seasoning pour on chicken and bake

SorGold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 11:22 am
seeker wrote:
So the one who ate better on Shabbos also ate the chicken on Monday, the other barely touched it but I guess she wasn't so hungry anyway because she didn't kvetch or wake up at night either. Maybe she had a late snack or something. It was simple but good and I will add it to our rotating repertoire (I am not the type who serves the same thing every Shabbos.)

I think this week I'll try one of the ones with orange juice, not as sugary as honey but still sweet and I have juice sitting around anyway.

So Glad you enjoyed!

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:15 pm
Fiveboyz wrote:
I just heard of this new one I hope to try mix duck sauce with Ortega taco seasoning pour on chicken and bake

Kickin chicken. ! One of our favorites and so easy

observer

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 3:17 pm
basyisr0el wrote:
Kickin chicken. ! One of our favorites and so easy

This is from KBD Short on Time. Its ok, we liked it but didn't love it.

Definitely great for when you are short on time! I made it this past week!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey