Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Sick Kids?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:09 pm
What do you do if your kids get sick again and again and again ??
One of the kids is probably sick once once every 2 weeks for 1/2/3 days and there is a limit to how much I can take off of work. We have been alternating between me and DH and it's still rough.
Any ideas?
How to deal with boss?

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:12 pm
Any relatives/neighbors that can help out?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:15 pm
We live in Israel, All of our family is in America. I don't think I have any friends that would do that big of a favor, besides that they all either work or have little kids at home and wouldn't want to be around sick kids.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:17 pm
Be sure to strengthen the immune system. Elderberry syrup daily, essential oils, multivitamins, extra supps forextra low stuff like d or c. Not normal for a child to be sick so often. Refuah shleimah.

abs

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:19 pm
Hire a babysitter that would come to your home to watch the sick kid.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 1:43 pm
I have put out so many ads on the city email list when we need a babysitter and only once did someone respond. I don't think there are so many people out there who want to babysit sick kids.

We just moved to a new city not so long ago and have very few connections.

My daughter was a premie so she is a little behind which is supposedly why she gets sick so often and they all bounce germs off each other.
It's part of the first year in day care, I think.

I am almost ready to just give up and say it's not practical to be a working mother.

Teomima

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 2:58 pm
Just so you know, you're eligible for taking sick days for a child's illness. You don't get a whole lot of them, but you do get some, so maybe that can help ease the pressure at work?

Also, depending on your work, can you bring your child with you? I've just had two solid weeks of sick kids and have had to balance taking days off, dh taking days off, and bringing my kids with me when necessary. It's not easy, but that's just how it is here this time of year.

Helani

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 6:30 pm
It depends on what you can afford, but there are agencies that specifically supply nannies for sick kids. The price is pretty steep (I think it might be something like $20/h), but might be worth it if it's the only way to keep your job.
Don't know where you are located, but here are some examples:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/gu.....care/

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 10 2016, 9:26 pm
Without an amazing support system (babysitter employed in the home, helpful mom nearby, other helpful close relative nearby), it really is impractical to have 2 working parents! Many people do it. But yes, its really tough. Hugs!

#WhatTheyDontTellYouInMommySchool

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 1:53 am
Helani wrote:
It depends on what you can afford, but there are agencies that specifically supply nannies for sick kids. The price is pretty steep (I think it might be something like $20/h), but might be worth it if it's the only way to keep your job.
Don't know where you are located, but here are some examples:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/gu.....care/
the OP mentioned that she was in israel. I dont think there is such a service here.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 7:21 am
Our local hospital has "sick" daycare available with a room for each type of illness. Does anything like that exist in Israel?

Also, if you are posting for a babysitter for sick kids, make sure to mention that you are willing to pay more.

ramateshkolmom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 8:12 am
Where in israel are you?
I know some people who do drop off babysitting for such cases

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 10:34 am
gold21 wrote:
Without an amazing support system (babysitter employed in the home, helpful mom nearby, other helpful close relative nearby), it really is impractical to have 2 working parents! Many people do it. But yes, its really tough. Hugs!

#WhatTheyDontTellYouInMommySchool

Its not impossible and most definitely do-able just hard.
I don't have a huge backup or support system so we make do with what we can.
It helps to have an understanding boss but even if not there is little you can do with a sick kid. Would he let you bring the child to the office?
I did that a few times with my baby he kept getting ear infections and fever and I would bring him with me to work - he was mostly sleeping or lethargic anyway so he didn't disrupt and it was win-win for all.
Otherwise my dh and I alternate and it sucks and its hard but we need the jobs.

Sorry op, it really isn't easy. I know you said that neighbors have their own kids but some really don't mind if your child is going to just sit on the couch and sleep or watch a movie it is not so hard. Her kids don't need to be anywhere near your kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics