Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help, my home is being taken over by Fruitflies...

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:55 pm
Im losing it...

How do I get rid of them without inhaling poisonous sprays?

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:18 pm
Take a plastic cup and pour in an inch or two of apple cider vinegar. Add a squirt of dish soap and mix. Cover the cup with tinfoil and poke a bunch of holes in it. Leave this out on your counter. The fruitfies are attracted by the vinegar, and they find their way in through the holes, but there is no equally potent smell outside the cup to guide them back out. The soap lowers the surface tension so they cannot balance on the surface.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:23 pm
apple cider vinegar trick works great.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:29 pm
There are tons of YouTubes on how to make fruit fly/fungus gnat traps.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 7:31 pm
Including all the above advice, clean clean and clean again your kitchen. Keep all fruit and vegetable in the fridge and throw away all peels and pits in a covered bin.

rockingbells

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:37 pm
Apple cider vinegar trick is great-- easy directions online. Also they tend to breed in sinks. Run hot water for a while and pour some bleach down the drains.

moonbeam

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:43 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
Including all the above advice, clean clean and clean again your kitchen. Keep all fruit and vegetable in the fridge and throw away all peels and pits in a covered bin.

This. Also, you may look into repotting or getting rid of any potted plants you may have, especially if they were bought around the time the fruit flies started. We have had fruit flies a few times, most caused by bananas left on the counter, but once the flies were TERRIBLE and no amount of traps were helping. It turned out that some new plants we had bought had cheap soil in the pots that was full of fly eggs. Once we got rid of the plants, the flies were gone.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 3:54 pm
Im turning over my kitchen too, but I followed the instructions on Youtube and used cider vinegar. Last night, I prepared 6 cups of it, as per instructions.

I havent caught ONE fruitfly.

My fruitflies must be highly intuitive!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:07 pm
eemachana wrote:
This. Also, you may look into repotting or getting rid of any potted plants you may have, especially if they were bought around the time the fruit flies started. We have had fruit flies a few times, most caused by bananas left on the counter, but once the flies were TERRIBLE and no amount of traps were helping. It turned out that some new plants we had bought had cheap soil in the pots that was full of fly eggs. Once we got rid of the plants, the flies were gone.

I just started noticing these little gnats around my house here and there too, something we have never had before...and I just recently bought plants to add some "spring" to my home...eemachana, I have a niggling feeling you are right about this...OP, she's got a point!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
I just started noticing these little gnats around my house here and there too, something we have never had before...and I just recently bought plants to add some "spring" to my home...eemachana, I have a niggling feeling you are right about this...OP, she's got a point!

OP (me), has no new plants.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:30 pm
When I had fruit flies, I found that the apple cider trap works best with a small amount of dish soap and a drop of whisky. Got rid of all of them.

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 6:53 pm
They might be drain flies, not fruit flies, especially if you're being good about garbage. Pour some bleach down each of your sinks.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:02 pm
Is it possible you have any potatoes or onions that are rotting?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 8:10 pm
I have had this. Easiest and most effective - and I've tried everything - is pour vinegar - regular white is perfect - down all drains of house. Including bathroom ones. You'll have to repeat a couple of times over the week.

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 19 2016, 9:30 pm
Omg I'm also going nuts from them !!! My husband keeps making me do pesach cleaning to get rid of them and its not working (cuz I know my house IS clean! And has always been nothing changed and nothing spilled) the only way I was able to kill some is when they're standing somewhere w a shoe cuz while they're flying they are fasttttt. I'm gonna try the vinegar down the drain. Makes the most sense that they're coming from there cuz windows are closed and no garbage, fruit or food is left out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics