Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Problem with rice in cholent

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:49 pm
So we've been experimenting with rice in the cholent pot, and while I like the taste, there are 2 things that are becoming annoying, 1) cholent keeps bubbling and leaking out all over the counter--didn't really have this problem with barley. 2) It really sticks to the cholent pot more than barley, we've tried liners but we can't really find them in our size and what we have found doesn't work as well.

Any suggestions?

SorGold

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:56 pm
I use Basmati rice and have neither of those problems. Not sure if that will help you out...

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:59 pm
Use short grain brown rice

aussiegal

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:21 pm
I use sushi rice and
Never had a problem.

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:52 pm
I recently switched to rice because of dc diagnosed with celiac.

I use basmati rice. I mix it up in a bowl with spices (whatever u like, I generally use salt, garlic, paprika) and a couple teaspoons of oil. Then I spoon it all into one of those baggies that they sell to put your chicken in when you make chicken soup? You know those little net baggies? And I plop it on top of everything else, making sure that there's still room for it to expand and be entirely covered with water. Also, don't tie the bag super tight around the rice, tie it at the end so it's roomy....

It comes out totally fine each time, just really a matter of experimenting with how you spice it....

(I generally put in about a cup and a half, because there's no barley, and my kids don't like beans....)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus