Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Freezing cookies and cupcakes

fbc

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 3:25 pm
Do you freeze the dough before it's baked? Or freeze once you've already baked? Can you even freeze cupcakes? Iced or not iced ( I'm assuming not, btw by iced I mean with icing)? How would you thaw it all? Just by taking it out enough in advance? Or throw in oven for a bit? Does it all depend on individual recipes,, or is there a general rule?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 3:29 pm
I freeze cake and cupcakes, even iced cupcakes, but I prefer to freeze it before icing them. Then when you want to defrost take it out a few hours before you want to eat it and leave it on the counter...they will taste nice and fresh. Make sure to wrap and cover the cakes very well before freezing. You dont want it to get a freezer taste. The freezers that are not frost free dont leave a freezer taste, I usually use that freezer for breads, challas, and cakes.

Faigy86

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 3:30 pm
You can freeze just about all cookies and cupcakes. Some pastries with a delicate cream will not taste quite the same, but otherwise, cupcakes with icing or frosting of any type can be frozen, just let them come to room temp before serving. Cookies can be frozen before or after baking depending on if you want that freshly baked smell in the house as well as the delicious cookies. Most plain cookies and cakes can be defrosted in a microwave, I would let all iced, frosted, or things with a lot of chocolate come to room temp without any help.

fbc

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 3:50 pm
Thanks! If you do freeze the dough before baking, do you let it get to ruin temp before baking it? Does the fact that you froze the dough make a diff to the baking time/temp?

Faigy86

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 4:42 pm
You can either freeze a hunk of dough, like for sugar cookies or the like, freeze them in rolls for easy slicing, or in scoops, like for cc cookies. Hunks of dough will take the most time to come to room temp. Frozen logs can usually be simply sliced and baked (because they are usually shortening based recipes that don't freeze quite as firm). Scoops, you will want to place on cookie sheets and let thaw before baking.

fbc

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 4:44 pm
K thanks for all advice! Am hoping to start baking for mishloach Manos soon Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins