Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Babka for Shalach Manos

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 5:53 am
I recently had a craving for babka, and friends have been encouraging me to use this craving and make babka for shalach manos!

what can I put on the side with babka? and creative way to package it?

I don't just want to throw in a chocolate milk or store bought coffee... I'm the creative type, and although I don't want to spend money, I want it to look cute.

any ideas?!

5mom

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 6:56 am
,Bake it in a ring shape, put it on a nice plate and put a bottle of wine in the middle. Wrap it all up in cellophane and you're done. It's something that people might actually use at the seuda.

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 8:37 am
Before you spns tons of time and money on this, make sure that the people you are giving it to will actually eat it. Go Back through the threads on here about who eats home baked goods. Tons of food goes to waste every year - it's heart breaking.
Signed,
Someone who DOES give homemade stuff in mm, but I only make a few and only give to who I know with out a doubt will eat it.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 8:51 am
Listen to waterfirl. But if you know your recipeints will accept homemade goods, make it a "teatime in a box" with tiny jars of jam, an assortment of herbal and real tea bags, maybe some crackers, some nuts, dried fruits, and small individually wrapped chocolates. I'm getting hungry already and I just had breakfast.

chani8

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:18 am
I disagree that you 'have to know if your recipients will eat your food'. Their problem.

We have enough halachos on that day that we dont need to worry about whether or not someone will be too pious (or on a diet) to eat our food.

If someone wont eat your food, they can donate it to a shelter. Wasting edible food is 'on them'.

Babka alone is a nice shalach manos. For your 'required one' you can add a bottle of wine.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:37 am
Last year I made mini bundt cakes in a decorative paper bundt pan, it came in red and white or navy and white design. I got them at Peppermill (kitchen accessories store). In the center hole I put a mini liquor bottle and wrapped in cellophane. Looked very pretty. You can bake the babka in something like that. Actually their sample in the store had a babka in it. Don't know where you're located but I'm sure you can find something similar online.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics