Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbors hanging up nude pictures
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 1:15 pm
I think its fair to say at this point that OP is gone. But I'll say this - her son is walking home, alone. He has got to be (hopefully at least) old enough to be spoken to about where to look and where not to look. If you cant trust him to do this, its time to start walking with him again, and just spend the walk engaging him in pleasant chit chat.

Maybe

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 1:16 pm
Since when do 2 wrongs make a right?

On one hand, teach DS some self control, on the other where do you draw the line? Your neighbor can live in the privacy of their home as they wish, but NOT in public display.Open windows, are as public as a front yard.

What if tomorrow they decide to use that room as their bedroom?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 1:29 pm
Maybe wrote:
Since when do 2 wrongs make a right?

On one hand, teach DS some self control, on the other where do you draw the line? Your neighbor can live in the privacy of their home as they wish, but NOT in public display.Open windows, are as public as a front yard.

What if tomorrow they decide to use that room as their bedroom?

There is no drawing the line...it is not up to YOU to decide what your neighbors are doing. I dont know why people dont understand that . YOU have the choice to make decisions for yourself. If you had had neighbor that behaves this way or hangs things in "your face" YOU can decide to take yourself out of that environment and move. Nobody as a right to tell their neighbor what to hang and what not to hang in their home...this is ridiculous! An atheist neighbor can have an issue that a jew has a mezuzah on their door facing their house and they find it offensive, they still have no right to ask the jew to remove it. Same here, nobody can tell the neighbor how he or she should behave. It doesnt matter whether they are jewish, non jewish, frum or not frum ...it is nobodys business. It is our business to choose neighborhoods we feel comfortable enough to raise our children, It is our business to tell our children what's right and what's wrong and it's our busniness to let children know that not everybody is like us. But we have to follow our principles.

Sadie

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 2:19 pm
mnas wrote:
I dont think, I know
I went to college.

Yeah so did I, and I took art classes. These classes were usually called "figure drawing". What were they called at your school?

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 2:26 pm
I walk around naked at home sometimes, with curtains drawn of course. What does it have to do with being a Jew? It's a sensory issue. So not only am I deprived of natural light because everything hurts my skin, but now I'm told it's an aveira, too.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 2:31 pm
mnas wrote:
As a Yid no

Says who

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 2:33 pm
sequoia wrote:
I walk around naked at home sometimes, with curtains drawn of course. What does it have to do with being a Jew? It's a sensory issue. So not only am I deprived of natural light because everything hurts my skin, but now I'm told it's an aveira, too.

I think you cant expose yourself to seforim when naked

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:00 pm
Perhaps you should be teaching your children that it is not nice to look into other people's windows

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:02 pm
You cant do what you want in your house. If a man stood there touching self by the window he would be arrested, especially if he did it when kids were walking past.
That said a nude picture is very much in the realm of acceptable and normal. I assume you just mean a female nude, not in some explicit act.
I doubt your neighbor would remove a picture she likes and chose for the living rm just because its not your taste. It falls within the norm of western decency, and although people dont hang nudes in my circles, I wouldnt be shocked to see one in a secular home.
Not much you can do. If you make it into a big deal your son will go out of his way to oggle it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
You cant do what you want in your house. If a man stood there touching self by the window he would be arrested, especially if he did it when kids were walking past.
That said a nude picture is very much in the realm of acceptable and normal. I assume you just mean a female nude, not in some explicit act.
I doubt your neighbor would remove a picture she likes and chose for the living rm just because its not your taste. It falls within the norm of western decency, and although people dont hang nudes in my circles, I wouldnt be shocked to see one in a secular home.
Not much you can do. If you make it into a big deal your son will go out of his way to oggle it.

I dont think thats true. Or Ugly Naked Guy would have gotten into a lot of trouble.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
I dont think thats true. Or Ugly Naked Guy would have gotten into a lot of trouble.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:14 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I think you cant expose yourself to seforim when naked

So maybe her sforim are in a different room or covered.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:18 pm
DrMom wrote:
So maybe her sforim are in a different room or covered.

Maybe, then I dont think it's an issue to walk around undressed in your own domain and privacy....I was never taught anything in halacha against that. I was just answering her as to why she cant walk around naked in her own home...it's the only thing I could come up with.

Butterfly07

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 4:04 pm
I'm sure it is not [filth]. It is considered Art.
I understand that you would not like your son exposed to this but outside of the Jewish culture this is perfectly fine. This is in the privacy of their own home so I am pretty sure they can do as they please. You and I may not like it but legally there is probably nothing that can be done.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 4:26 pm
Surprised so many here not aware, according to halacha, even not in front of sefarim, tzniut applies anywhere besides bathhouse etc.

http://www.sefaria.org/Shulcha.....g=all

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Surprised so many here not aware, according to halacha, even not in front of sefarim, tzniut applies anywhere besides bathhouse etc.

http://www.sefaria.org/Shulcha.....g=all

Surprised so many here not aware, according to halacha, there are many opinions. Not everyone holds that is halacha.

We do not go nude in front of seforim or mezuzahs. So that would preclude full nudity in most parts of house. But even then, as long as underwear is on, we hold that isn't a problem. So we don't need to be tznius everywhere. I know others hold differently, which is fine by me. Lots of opinions.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:54 pm
mnas wrote:
I dont think a person who hangs up [filth] ( yes its [filth] -call it art if you'd lke but im just wondering if you had gone to college and know what these art classes are called and what the professors say to encourage their student and models?)

Quick education: There is a difference between nude and [filth], for all you indignant amothers.

I will not go into specifics because I have no desire to provide this education or have this thread die a speedy death, but figure drawing does not mean [filth] drawing.

And pictures of naked people are NOT [filth]. Except if they're doing some specific acts.

Now back to the program.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:56 pm
watergirl wrote:

They really had to crane their necks to get that view. And they were looking in from an upper window to a lower floor. Don't think he was in full view of kids passing on the street.

Rolling Laughter

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
Surprised so many here not aware, according to halacha, there are many opinions. Not everyone holds that is halacha.

We do not go nude in front of seforim or mezuzahs. So that would preclude full nudity in most parts of house. But even then, as long as underwear is on, we hold that isn't a problem. So we don't need to be tznius everywhere. I know others hold differently, which is fine by me. Lots of opinions.

Who is we? find 1 posek that agrees

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Who is we? find 1 posek that agrees

My Rav agrees (right wing Yeshivish)
And I'm sure many others as well.
The first time I heard someone say you must get dressed while in bed or in the bathroom, I right away asked my Rav and was told we don't have to.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette