Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cleaning cutlery for kashering

L K

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 7:10 pm
What is the best way to clean flatware in order to prepare it for kashering?
And just how perfectly clean does it have to be? I mean I know it says to clean it but mine has grooves or other pattern on handles for instance. Being that it's been used for years- there is really no way to make it as smooth, clean and shiny as new. I try to wash flatware really well but there are these "deposits" in the grooves. It's not dirt or rust, I don't know what to call it, you know what I'm talking about?

If it makes a difference, most of it I'm not sure is even treif at all, most likely placed in the wrong drawer by others, or washed (with detergent) with the other type.

Thanks

Last edited by L K on Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

L K

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:00 am
Bump

L K

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:57 pm
Guys, please, no one ever kasherrd forks and knives??

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:17 pm
Can those "deposits" be old silver polish? You're gonna have to scrub with a toothbrush.

abs

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:19 pm
My method is a bit extreme, but easy in the long run. I use Shumanit oven cleaner which draws all the dirt out of the crevices. Since it has to be perfectly clean and its almost impossible to get all the food residue off and out of every tiny crack, I discovered that this is the easiest, albeit the most dangerous, way to go.
I also like to use steel wool on my cutlery to get between the fork tines. But that won't do on silver only with my stainless.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:22 pm
I Googled "how to remove old silver polish from silverware" and found this:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.....olish

He used a solution of warm water, ammonia and dish soap.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:36 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Can those "deposits" be old silver polish? You're gonna have to scrub with a toothbrush.

No, I'm not that fancy. It's not really "silver"ware, just plain Cambridge flatware.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:39 pm
abs wrote:
My method is a bit extreme, but easy in the long run. I use Shumanit oven cleaner which draws all the dirt out of the crevices. Since it has to be perfectly clean and its almost impossible to get all the food residue off and out of every tiny crack, I discovered that this is the easiest, albeit the most dangerous, way to go.
I also like to use steel wool on my cutlery to get between the fork tines. But that won't do on silver only with my stainless.

That's an excellent idea. I used to love shumanit but a number of years ago I started kind of suffocating from its fumes (

L K

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:41 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I Googled "how to remove old silver polish from silverware" and found this:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.....olish

He used a solution of warm water, ammonia and dish soap.

I've edited the topic to "flatware"

abs

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 2:21 pm
L K wrote:
I've edited the topic to "flatware"

I assumed that!
If you can handle the fumes go for my method! (I try to hold my breath while I spray and then leave the room until the fumes dissipate) I'm usually afraid to say anything about using Shumanit because of the flak it usually receives, but decided to go for it this time because it is a halachic issue and extremely difficult to get into all the grooves so the flatware is eligible for kashering.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 2:23 pm
You should definitely wear a mask and long thick durable gloves.
Do it when no children are around and open the windows for ventilation during cleaning and for sometime thereafter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen