Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Summer job (a new thread - looking for one/ideas)

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:20 pm
So I woke up a little late, as usual, to realize that I really want a different type of summer job this year. I'm hoping the very kind and resourceful imamother crowd can help either with ideas or connections.

1. Ideally I would LOVE the kind of job that would enable me to spend the summer in the "country." I could even theoretically handle getting paid much less for this type of job if it includes a place to stay and childcare for my two kids who are old enough to go to day camp. So a job at a camp that includes day camp for staff kids would be just about right.

2. If I couldn't get a camp in the country job, a city job would do but again it would ideally include my kids going to camp in the same facility either free or with a reduced rate, or if it's not that type of camp (are there summer-only jobs that aren't camp?) then I would need a significantly higher salary to cover camp for my kids. Being in the same place would be much better because it would make transportation/coordination/scheduling that much easier but I could probably handle either way.

3. Ideally job is within reasonable traveling distance from NYC because DH is hoping to get a job there and we will want to get together on weekends. A city job could be anywhere commutable including New Jersey, though if it's far enough from home I would need someplace for the kids locally. But if there's a camp farther from NY that would provide room and board and care/entertainment for the kids I could definitely see traveling without DH for a few weeks.

3. My regular profession is special ed and I have experience with various age ranges and types of needs. I contacted a couple of camps that provide special ed services on site but they said they already have all their staff set up for this summer. If you know of any place that may still have openings, please do tell. If you know of any agencies that place people with cases (EI, SEIT, etc) in the country please tell also, though in my experience there are never enough cases to cover the cost of bringing the family to the country... I estimate I would need about 20 hours a week to make that work, fat chance of that happening. If DH does succeed in getting a job then that might be slightly more feasible but still, in the past I did not find much demand for EI or SEIT in the country in the summer. But if camps need someone to work with kids with special needs, support direct care staff in doing so, run tutoring groups, supervise behavior management, or anything in that department, sign me up!

4. I am totally interested in thinking outside the box and NOT spending my summer doing what I do all year. I don't know why a camp would want a married lady with two kids when there are probably zillions of "unencumbered" people who could do these jobs, but I would be very willing to do things like run workshops - I have skills and experience in writing, baking, art, arts-n-crafts, and heaven alone knows what else I could do if you need me to. Really. I also have great organizational and management skills, I can NOT do secretarial/front office work because I get too easily overwhelmed by the noise of three phones and ten kids at the window at the same time, but I could definitely be useful in back-office work that involves organizing, planning, coordinating, computer work, bookkeeping, etc.

5. I could also see doing short-term writing work. I do freelance writing on the side all the time but just a little here, a little there, I'm busy enough with my day job and my nighttime imamother habit (kidding? Well sort of I guess!) Over the summer I will not have my usual day job and will need more work so I can do more writing but would need some kind of bigger job to make it a full summer job. And it would have to be short term because I'd hope to be back to my year-round work by October if not sooner. But it would be nice to have that flexibility of time and location.

Basically I am willing to do almost anything to
- have a summer job that doesn't involve depending on the fickleness of SEIT cases that come and go at will
- and that covers one way or another my children's entertainment or care
- and that preferably gets us away from home.

Any leads or ideas are greatly appreciated. As you can see I'm kind of stuck in the brainstorming stage right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics