Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Harry potter 7 - spoilers!!
1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:08 am
So, if you have finished reading it, what do you think? (and how long did it take you?) I sat down down and read it straight, started motzei shabbos, and finished sunday lunchtime.

The one thing I didn't understand is: In the scene where harry meets dumbledore (in Kings cross station). Ok I figured out he is hovering between life and death, (symbolised by a train station). but what is the baby, snivelling under a bench? Is that voldemort?

Also, what does hermoine see in Ron?????

brooklyn

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:26 am
My question is this. When talking about book seven prior to it's release it was said that someone who previously had shown no magical abilities would suddenly do magic. Many speculated that it would be Aunt Petunia, Dudley or Filch. I didn't notice it happening in the book, did I miss it or was it Neville who was able to pull the sword of Griffindor out of the hat? Neville while maybe not the most powerful wizard had shown that he was capable of decent magic while in the DA, so I don't think it referred to him. So who was it? There are more questions that people thought would be answered that I don't think were, let's see what others think.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:04 am
And what did you think of the way snape turns out to be a good guy after all? harry even names his son after him.

I like the way it all suddenly makes sense of snapes attitude towards harry. He hates him because of his father, but loves him (or at least keeps saving him) because of his mother.

we don't really find out what happens to dudley, petunia and hubby in the end.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:12 am
I lovedthe book.. I have so much to say on it, buti also hae about a dozenquestions thatno one seems to have answers to. Sad. I'll post them later.

maybethe person doing magic was sybill trelawney when she threw those crystal balls? Maybe it wasw Neville who 'become a great wizard' despite being pretty incompetent the first few books?

The little creature dying was not voldemort, it was the soul part of LV that had been part of Harry.

I really loved the book, although I feel we're missing a great chunk of something... she needed one additiona chapter after the final chapter, it finished too abruptly. I wish she'd write one more bok about what happened afterwaqrds. What are Harry & Ginny's professions? I'm so curious

brooklyn

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:25 am
Also, were harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione living in thte magical world or in the muggle world? They both apparently drove non magical cars to the train station as Ron asked Harry if he parked it OK and Ron went to get a driver's license.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:49 am
I think perhaps after LV's downfall the anti muggle sentiment was abolished and they absorbed more muggle stuff into their lifestyle.

DesignMommy

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 12:53 pm
Mama Bear, I also loved it, but had the same questions as you! What happens to the Dursley's, what does everyone do for a living...but I loved it!

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 2:23 pm
yeah, the grey thing was the soul/horcrux.
I was wondering- the reason harry didn't die (the 1st time, in the forest)? was it the same love thing that caused lily to save him in the 1st place? that he had this love/willing to sacrifice himeself for e/o else?

also, didn't they say that the fact hp has lily's eyes would be significant? am I wrong or did I miss s/t?

also, when was snape going to tell hp what he was told to by dumb.? like what would've happened if he wasn't there when he was dying?

but I liked the whole snape-lily thing. and in the end the major players that were killed, were not as bad as I thought.

dr pepper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:28 pm
remember in the end of goblet of fire before voldemort's rebirth? the decription of how he was before he regained a human form pretty much matched the description from king's cross.

also about lily's eyes, snape wanted to see them right before he died, that's why he asked harry to look at him. and I assumed he was going to tell harry about what DD told him right before LV killed him. he saw the snake in an enchanted cage and knew it was time, so he kept telling LV "let me get the boy, I can find the boy..."

theres also seemed to be a few plot holes and inconsistencies in the book. I liked it a lot, because who doesn't like HP, but it seems like JKR rushed through it and didn't think everything through.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:45 pm
dr pepper wrote:
remember in the end of goblet of fire before voldemort's rebirth? the decription of how he was before he regained a human form pretty much matched the description from king's cross.

also about lily's eyes, snape wanted to see them right before he died, that's why he asked harry to look at him. and I assumed he was going to tell harry about what DD told him right before LV killed him. he saw the snake in an enchanted cage and knew it was time, so he kept telling LV "let me get the boy, I can find the boy..."

theres also seemed to be a few plot holes and inconsistencies in the book. I liked it a lot, because who doesn't like HP, but it seems like JKR rushed through it and didn't think everything through.

thanks. that explains alot. what plot holes did you find? I remember seeing one inconsistency but don't remember what it was. I'll let you know the 2nd time around.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:58 pm
my biggest plot hole is, that when nagini was killed, there were no horcruxes left, yet LV was still alive. So had Harry indeed died and not come back, once Neville killed Nagini, who ould then go and kill LV? LV would remain alive, Harry would be dead, andalthough there are no horcruxes left, voldemort would still be alive!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:01 pm
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
yeah, the grey thing was the soul/horcrux.
I was wondering- the reason harry didn't die (the 1st time, in the forest)? was it the same love thing that caused lily to save him in the 1st place? that he had this love/willing to sacrifice himeself for e/o else?

also, didn't they say that the fact hp has lily's eyes would be significant? am I wrong or did I miss s/t?

also, when was snape going to tell hp what he was told to by dumb.? like what would've happened if he wasn't there when he was dying?

but I liked the whole snape-lily thing. and in the end the major players that were killed, were not as bad as I thought.

Harry didnt die because his blood with the protection was in Voldemort.

I am also puzzled and amazed, that if Harry had not been in the shrieking shack whensnape was killed he would not even have known that he was teh final horcrux. so much was left up to chance. Snape should have given his memories over to harry BEFORE the war began, instead of jumping out the window like a coward.

dr pepper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:10 pm
DD specifically instructed snape to tell harry when it was near the end and he saw nagini in the enchanted cage. and this wasn't until he went to voldy in the shrieking shack. but it's fiction, so of course it all worked out that harry was there.

Quote:
my biggest plot hole is, that when nagini was killed, there were no horcruxes left, yet LV was still alive. So had Harry indeed died and not come back, once Neville killed Nagini, who ould then go and kill LV? LV would remain alive, Harry would be dead, andalthough there are no horcruxes left, voldemort would still be alive!

I don't quite get this. according to the prophecy, one of them had to kill the other. so if harry did die, voldy would've just gone on to survive and make more horcruxes and it would be an everlasting world of dark magic and mayhem, lol.

for me, I'm confused how snape was in the headmaster's office talking to DD's portrait about when the order was moving harry. this was in july, before voldy overtook hogwarts, and mcgonagall was acting headmistress. they all knew snape killed dd and were out to get him so tell me, how did he just waltz into the headmaster's office so easily?

dr pepper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:12 pm
oh and one reason I think that harry survived was because voldy was using the elder wand against him. the wand can't kill its master, so it killed the part of voldy in harry, but not harry himself.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:20 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I thnk after nagini was killed, there was still a bit of soul left in lv himself, keeping him "alive". so then if lv killed harry then no one would kill lv, he would live and take over.

Quote:

but he made the horcruxes before he got the blood with protection. and harry was a horcrux, so the lv soul bit in harry didn't have the protection.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:29 pm
Dr Pepper, excellent plot hole!!! I'll bring that up as well with the folks at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hpforgrownups.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:32 pm
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:

Quote:

but he made the horcruxes before he got the blood with protection. and harry was a horcrux, so the lv soul bit in harry didn't have the protection.
Read what Dumbledore told Harry in Kings Cross - that the reason he didnt die was because they were tethered together - remember he took Hary's blood in the graveyard in Little Hangleton, so now he had Harrys blood with the protection. You must have missed htat paragraph.

btw - harry became an inadvertent horcrux during the attempted murder when he was 1 year old. it was at the same time that he got the scar, at the same time that Lily died. so this horcrux DID have his mothe's protection.

roza

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 6:30 pm
There was an additional reason why Harry did not die and did not feel real pain when VL was torturing him, it's because Harry was the real master of the wand that VL was using to kill him and the wand could not go against his true master, this is also why the killing curse rebounded and killed VL at the end, in addition to the fact that there were no horcruxes left, as the part of VL in Harry died, killed by VL himself. Again, THAT wand could not work on Harry or his soul. I found this whole plot about wands fascinating.
I also thought that Snape was not given justice for his bravery.
The book was great reading, took me 2 days.

ps. sorry, Dr. Peper mentioned this point about the wand above

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:43 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

7 horcruxes
the ring
the locket
the cup
the diary
nagini
harry
voldermort--the last piece of the soul. Harry being a horcrux was the surprise, voldermort could only be killed once all the horcruxes were gone.

dr pepper

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:15 pm
you missed the diadem Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room