Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fake sugar- warning?
1  2  3  Next

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 9:39 am
If you made a food with fake sugar, suchas splenda, sweet'n'low, etc, and were going to serve it to guests- would you warn guests first that you put chemicals in the food, or would you only tell them if they asked?

I'm just curious because I was given a psak by my rav not to touch those stuff, and even before that psak was very careful not to have them. And if someone were to serve me food made with that without telling me first, I'd be very upset. Examples- using splenda in salad dressings, drinks, cookies, cakes, etc...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:28 am
If yu were a guest someplace, you should ask. When I invite guests, I always ask what their restrictions/hiddurim are.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:32 am
It wouldn't even cross my mind to say anything. I think if someone has restrictions, they need to say something to the hostess.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Splenda, so I wouldn't think to mention it.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 10:40 am
It doesnt cross my mind to think that people would use fake sugar in their foods that they serve... Thats why I never used to ask...
Growing up my mom used fake sugar- but only put that in things like tea, cereal, etc, and never in foods meant for the rest of the family.

chanab

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:35 am
I would be interested to know why a Rav paskens about splenda etc because of the health risks?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:37 am
breslov wrote:
It doesnt cross my mind to think that people would use fake sugar in their foods that they serve... Thats why I never used to ask...
Growing up my mom used fake sugar- but only put that in things like tea, cereal, etc, and never in foods meant for the rest of the family.

I put it in almost everything that calls for sugar.

Tefila

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:43 am
Quote:
If yu were a guest someplace, you should ask. When I invite guests, I always ask what their restrictions/hiddurim are.

Yep, Anyways I don't believe in splenda at all Exclamation So I'd make sure to ask

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 12:09 pm
chanab wrote:
I would be interested to know why a Rav paskens about splenda etc because of the health risks?

Any chemicals are bad. But fake sugar is the worst. Splenda isnt nearly as bad as aspartame, but that doesn't make it good either. Not to mention they dont know the long term effects it has on people yet...

happyone

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 12:18 pm
chanab wrote:

I'd be interested too! I'm not questioning, but wondering where the halacha is involved. The psak part I'm trying to figure out. They just had a report on WCBS about sugar supplements vs. sugar. Basically they said that a drop of sugar for the averagar healthy person is healthier than the supplements, but if someone is overweight or at risk for diabetes, they are still better off and healthier with sweeteners over sugar. That's why I'm wondering why a rav would pasken re. this topic, unless there are medical indications as to why you in particular should stay away from these things.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 12:51 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
It wouldn't even cross my mind to say anything. I think if someone has restrictions, they need to say something to the hostess.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with Splenda, so I wouldn't think to mention it.

same here

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 1:12 pm
I agree with you breslov about the use of splenda. I am very against the use of it. When going to a friend I usually know if they use splenda in thier food, so there is no need to ask.

Once we went to a friend for shabbos and she put it in everything including her challah. My husband turned to me after the meal and asked me why her food tasted so bad. I told him that she used splenda, a fake sugar.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 1:38 pm
Do you also expect ppl. to tell you every time they use something with food coloring, artificial flavoring, msg....?? Those are just as bad, if not worse (according to my dr.)
Its interesting how some ppl. are so scared of splenda and yet use all the other 'junk' without any problem. (not talking about you, breslov)
Just think how much 'petel' is used in Israel shock

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 1:41 pm
Thank you Mrs.XYZ! I was thinking the exact same thing, but my brain is too muddled to say what you said Smile

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 2:13 pm
Petel the dark grape tasting drink? I love it.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 2:45 pm
Sorry but I think its no ones business. When I go to someones house I think it is rude to ask whats in the ingredients or even what the hechsher is. If you dont feel comfortable dont go.
My opinion only.

Again If I would have an allergy child maybe I would talk differently but I cant imagine telling someone what to make.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:30 pm
But what about people that for health reasons, or halachic reasons don't use artificial sugar?

My rav paskened it that women of childbearing age shouldnt have it because it can really affect fertility negatively, in addition to being a carcinogen.
And msg- you can guess that it'll be in soup, and you can tell when food has food coloring in it.
Splenda, you can't tell beforehand, and then by the time you have it, it can be too late.
Not to mention that fake sugar gives me TERRIBLE stomach aches...

newmom

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 3:34 pm
I don't believe that there are any studies correlating splenda use with fertility issues, but feel free to point us to a legitimate source.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:42 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Do you also expect ppl. to tell you every time they use something with food coloring, artificial flavoring, msg....?? Those are just as bad, if not worse (according to my dr.)

Actually I do expect people to tell me when they use these things in thier food. I don't use these things in my food. They are harmful and I don't use them just like I don't use splenda.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:46 pm
That's ridiculous, that means that you basically have to keep all the nutritional information for all the food you cooked with. I don't think anyone actually expects their host to do this.

I personally don't care about artificial coloring or MSG, so I wouldn't know offhand if I cooked with it.

If someone specifically tells me that they can't have certain ingredients in their food, then I'll be aware when preparing the food. If I'm not told in advance, then I'm not going to look out for it.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 4:49 pm
pickle everyone considers something else horrible. My sister would not give her kids anything that has sugar in it. Would you like someone coming to you and saying I cant eat the fish it has sugar. Oh did you put sugar in the apple kugel? No Dessert..Sorry cant have sugar.
How about organic. If you dont cook with organic and I feel the others is not healthy would you not be offended if I dont eat your food?
Some people dont eat meat for health reasons. Can you excpect your host to make chicken cholunt? Or tell them sorry I cant eat it?
No one is going to die from a little MSG or Food coloring..For me making someone else feel uncomfortable is alot worst.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics