Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is it wrong to dress like cheerleaders
1  2  Next

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:14 am
I live in Lakewood and
my girls want the boys to dress up as baseball players
and the girls want to be cheerleaders.
My husband doesn't think it is ok for the girls to be cheerleaders.
Is there really anything wrong with them being cheerleaders?
of course they will dress tzinus

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:23 am
Ummm, what's wrong with a cheerleader?

esther09

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:24 am
The only reason it wouldn't be OK is if your DH s-xualizes cheerleaders... That's something you need to take up with him.

Or maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt and he had the thought as me "why can't the girls be baseball players too?? Why is their only role to cheer on the boys?" Maybe your husband is a closet feminist!

animeme

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:28 am
The reasoning would be that the purpose of cheerleaders is to jump and dance in front of crowds (and yes, for major league games, to be gawked at), and we don't support that. This logic would also rule out Spanish dancers, etc.

Nicole

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 7:28 am
That's funny. My girls also wanted to be cheerleaders and my dh also mixed it. And were not particularly yeshivish... 😄But they found something else to dress as.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:38 am
We did it one year. It was fine. We live in a chossidish community. Someone would have said something to me if there was an issue.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:41 am
esther09 wrote:
The only reason it wouldn't be OK is if your DH s-xualizes cheerleaders... That's something you need to take up with him.

Or maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt and he had the thought as me "why can't the girls be baseball players too?? Why is their only role to cheer on the boys?" Maybe your husband is a closet feminist!

Please, blame it on her husband Rolling Eyes Cheerleaders, especially those of major league teams, are usually very sexualized. Their outfits (and moves) are carefully chosen. It's not like it was hot out so they put on their skimpiest clothing.

wantavaca

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:59 am
I vote better not to

L K

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:05 am
Def not ok, given their original lack of dress, moves etc.
Let's ask this: "Is it ok for girls to dress up h..ker style? Of course, they would be dressed "tzniyus"

To the chassidishe poster, can I guess that a lot of or all the people in insulated communities may have had no idea what those costumes alluded to?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:33 am
L K wrote:
Def not ok, given their original lack of dress, moves etc.
Let's ask this: "Is it ok for girls to dress up h..ker style? Of course, they would be dressed "tzniyus"

To the chassidishe poster, can I guess that a lot of or all the people in insulated communities may have had no idea what those costumes alluded to?

Comparing a cheerleader to a hooker is an inappropriate comparison, both with regards to reality as well as to how a costume would look.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

cm

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:34 am
I assume that anyone dressing a child as a cheerleader is thinking in terms of the "traditional" cheerleader look: pleated skirt, pullover sweater, saddle shoes. Not s*xy at all.

cnc

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:47 am
I've seen it when I was a kid and didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but as a parent I'm not sure I would dress my daughter as one.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:51 am
cm wrote:
I assume that anyone dressing a child as a cheerleader is thinking in terms of the "traditional" cheerleader look: pleated skirt, pullover sweater, saddle shoes. Not s*xy at all.

That's what I would think too. And I've seen girls in Lakewood dress up like that. Usually with pigtails and pom poms. I wouldn't have a problem with my girls dressing up like that.

But I could see why op's husband would hear "cheerleaders" and think "s*xy*.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:00 am
I would totally do it, but if it makes your DH uncomfortable then maybe it's better to find something else. Have the girls be ballplayers too!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:26 am
I can see both sides of the argument. I think a 50's style cheerleader would be adorable and perfectly acceptable.

Girls who play baseball typically do not wear skirts, so it can make the costume awkward.

Sadie

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I can see both sides of the argument. I think a 50's style cheerleader would be adorable and perfectly acceptable.

Girls who play baseball typically do not wear skirts, so it can make the costume awkward.

They could go as the characters from "a league of their own"

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:29 am
funny. I was just talking to a teacher who teaches in a by and she said her kids are being cheerleaders and she wanted to know if it was bad.
I personally dont think its the best costume

Blessing1

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:36 am
Toys 4 u sells an adorable cheerleader costume, don't see anything wrong with it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:39 am
animeme wrote:
The reasoning would be that the purpose of cheerleaders is to jump and dance in front of crowds (and yes, for major league games, to be gawked at), and we don't support that. This logic would also rule out Spanish dancers, etc.

My daughter will be a Mexican dancer. Their traditional clothing is quite tznius.

fiji

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:52 am
I wouldnt say "theres something wrong with it"...but I wouldnt do it. Its a sensitivity and if u are living in lakewood or any other "in town" area, it is nice and mentchlich to respect others sensitivities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics