Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pesach Shopping

jerseygirl

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 1:11 pm
Do meat and chicken go up in price around Pesach? Can I not just buy now and stock up the freezer?

Are there any other products that I should buy now that somehow just double in price before Pesach?

Classicookie

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 1:30 pm
There's a list of things that don't need an extra passach hascusher some things all ready say kosher for passach just keep your eyes open

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 4:39 pm
Agree with mom2zahava, so many things are kosher for pesach all year and then mysteriously twice the price before Pesach in the Jewish stores. Horrible. Download a list from the OU or wherever you trust for what things can be bought generically, look for pesach hechsheirim on things that need them, and shop earlier if you mainly shop in Jewish stores.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:06 pm
well not if you buy the hechsheirim that I do. aside from that things are made in a diff run for pesach so I wouldnt do this. but if you buy the ou then thats a diff thing. and you should ask your dh. kashrus for pesach is very diff then a whole year.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:45 pm
Well I don't know much about chumras but I have in my hands right at this moment a package of Glick's table salt labeled kosher for Pesach, bought at some random time for about 2/$1 because that's my usual target price for table salt. If I recall correctly last time I got myself stuck buying things like that closer to Pesach, the frum stores were advertising SALE prices of about $1 each. Meaning that they were otherwise even more. Which is definitely not the norm. Draw whatever conclusions you may but that's what taught me to plan better and keep track of the lists (hint: most probably would not require kosher lpesach plastic bags, oven cleaner, etc)

miami85

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:42 pm
jerseygirl wrote:
Do meat and chicken go up in price around Pesach? Can I not just buy now and stock up the freezer?

Are there any other products that I should buy now that somehow just double in price before Pesach?

Many grocery stores and butchers announce when their line is considered kosher for pesach. I wouldn't buy it unless I knew that was the case. Pesach is the time of year when certain chumros that we normally apply during the year apply for pesach. Ex. batul b'shishim doesn't usually apply to chametz for pesach. But if it's a regular product that is "kosher for pesach and all year round" s/t like aluminum foil or salt, might spike in price if so many ppl are buying it in a short amount of time.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:56 pm
For chicken and meat I wait until the butcher announces that their facility and been koshered for Pesach, usually about 4 weeks before.
Anything else that is packaged/doesn't need hechsher/KLP all year round can definitely be bought now or any other time.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:17 pm
I can't say for sure but if you eat packaged meats like Empire they MIGHT already have pesach labeling.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:13 pm
I believe a lot of meats are KLP year round.

Like mom2zahava said, If you buy regular non heimish brands, you can get lots of stuff at the grocery, and many staples either already have hechsherim, or don't need a special KLP hechsher. Take a look at the published lists.

Now, if only one of the places near me (OOT) would not jack up prices even more than in town. Sighh. I get that they generate more business around Pesach than the rest of the year put together, and charging the high prices enables them to make enough profit to stay in business year round.

But I don't like it.

Happy1027

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 9:13 am
The prices for the meat and chicken don't go up very high by pesach. I would also wait until they clean the lines before buying this stuff. There are also lots of things you can buy in non Jewish stores like grape juice and soda and other pre-packaged stuff if you use that that are way cheaper. They usually have sales after purim
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics