Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Steak recipe for Friday Night?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 4:01 pm
I never usually serve meat Friday night but we have a special occasion. I was rushed in the grocery and came out with a package of boneless filets. How can I make this work for Friday night? Would it go with a sauce? The only way I usually had steak was lightly spiced with sea salt and pepper (if it all!) and grilled or pan-seared. I imagine steak cooked that way would dry out on the hot plate. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 4:20 pm
I would grill or bbq the steak close to Shabbos and just let it warm on the hot plate for a few minutes before serving. It won't be hot but will stay moist and should be warmish.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 4:36 pm
The fillet steak is lean and would be dry by the time you serve it if you grill it before shabbos.
I suggest you bake it low and slow until very soft. Layer sliced onions underneath, rub crushed garlic on top and sprinkle very very generously with salt. Add a few drizzles oil, pour a bit of boiling water around the sides and cover tightly. Bake at 325 until tender.
For shabbos, keep it over an overturned pan on top of the plata so it stays warm but does not continue to cook.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 6:19 pm
Thanks, tichellady and ra_mom! Tichellady, would you cover the grilled steaks on the hot plate?

Ra_Mom, approximately how long do you think it should bake until tender? Does two hours make sense?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 7:40 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Thanks, tichellady and ra_mom! Tichellady, would you cover the grilled steaks on the hot plate?

Ra_Mom, approximately how long do you think it should bake until tender? Does two hours make sense?

Yes, 2 hours makes sense. How many pounds of meat do you have?

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 11:33 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yes, 2 hours makes sense. How many pounds of meat do you have?

The package says 1.75- it's three large fillets.

sky

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 11:55 am
victoria Dwek recently had an article in the Ami about making steaks for shabbos. I think she under cooked it and left it in a hot oven on shabbos that was off to finish cooking. I forget the exact details but it sounded like a smart idea.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 12:43 pm
I make my steak medium rare. I would not cook steak for 2 hours but maybe fillet steak is meant to be well done? I don't know what fillet Steak is. I broil my steak for a few minutes on each side.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 1:27 pm
What if I seared each side for a minute and then immediately put it in a baking dish, pour sauce over it and bake long and slow? Should I skip the sear ?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 2:52 pm
tigerwife wrote:
The package says 1.75- it's three large fillets.
Start with 1.5 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus