Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Wanna buy flatware. Teach me how

tweety1

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 6:53 pm
What do I look for? How do I know if something is good quality? A good buy, etc

pumpernickle

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:49 am
I buy the white ones. They come in soup spoons, teaspoons and regular forks. Oh, theyre called disposables.aka plastic Wink

Sorry, cudnt resist

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 1:53 am
Oneida has very good quality flatware.

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 2:06 am
pumpernickle wrote:
I buy the white ones. They come in soup spoons, teaspoons and regular forks. Oh, theyre called disposables.aka plastic Wink

Sorry, cudnt resist

Apology not accepted. Very dumb post. As if you never use any other flatware but plastic.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 4:53 am
I chose based on the size and shape of the small spoons, then I picked a pattern.
I have farberware for dairy, Pfaltzgraff for meat, and Oneida for Shabbos.
I like to avoid crevices where food can get stuck.

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 4:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
I chose based on the size and shape of the small spoons, then I picked a pattern.
I have farberware for dairy, Pfaltzgraff for meat, and Oneida for Shabbos.
I like to avoid crevices where food can get stuck.

How long do you have each? And how would you compare the upkeep of each one; one company versus the other?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 5:12 am
tweety1 wrote:
How long do you have each? And how would you compare the upkeep of each one; one company versus the other?

The first two I got when I got married, almost nine years. The Shabbos set, I think 3 years ago. They all are fine,( except the missing small spoons.)
I have learned that they still get lost even if you spend more Wink
I paid about $100 per set. 2 forks, 2 spoons, a knife, and some serving pieces. Service for 8.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:08 am
What is your budget and style? Good quality stainless steel flatware will be $20-$60 per place setting. This is a useful guide to what to look for in quality flatware:

http://thesweethome.com/review.....ware/

(full disclosure--I work for the company that published that guide. They recommend housewares and kitchen goods. But I know they seriously tested all the silverware they recommend, and the guide in general has good tips about how to choose flatware. For example, you want 18/10 stainless steel).

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:10 am
sweetpotato wrote:
What is your budget and style? Good quality stainless steel flatware will be $20-$60 per place setting. This is a useful guide to what to look for in quality flatware:

(full disclosure--I work for the company that published that guide. They recommend housewares and kitchen goods. But I know they seriously tested all the silverware they recommend, and the guide in general has good tips about how to choose flatware. For example, you want 18/10 stainless steel).

That's a nice website -- useful info.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:17 am
Id look at the patterns on both Amazon and Overstock, and judge by the ratings. Some people like traditional, some like modern, some like transitional. If you narrow it down to a few patterns, you can then go to a big store like Macy's and see the pattern you like, before you buy. Thats always a good idea. 18/10 or 18/8 stainless is the best stainless you can buy and holds up beautifully. So Id put that into the search box on both Amazon and Overstock. In general, among 18/10 or 18/8 flatware, the heavier the pieces, the better the quality, and the longer they last and dont bend out of shape, etc.

In Brooklyn Wilhelm's has a huge selection on display.

Then, once you see the patterns, choose the pattern you like best, and buy where you get the best deal.

Let us know what you choose and where you got the best deal. Hatzlacha.

Last edited by Mevater on Tue, Mar 29 2016, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

crush

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 11:03 am
X

Last edited by crush on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 1:22 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Apology not accepted. Very dumb post. As if you never use any other flatware but plastic.

what a pleasant person you are

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 3:13 pm
Mevater wrote:
. 18/10 or 18/8 stainless is the best stainless you can buy and holds up beautifully. So Id put that into the search box on both Amazon and Overstock. In general, among 18/10 or 18/8 flatware, the heavier the pieces, the better the quality, and the longer they last and dont bend out of shape, etc.

In Brooklyn Wilhelm's has a huge selection on display.

Then, once you see the patterns, choose the pattern you like best, and buy where you get the best deal.

Let us know what you choose and where you got the best deal. Hatzlacha.

This is useful info. Tnx

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 3:45 pm
tweety1 wrote:
This is useful info. Tnx

Glad it helped, and btw when I ask a serious question, I also like a serious answer. If someone is going to be "funny" at least let the "funny" be accompanied by serious and helpful.

Another way to determine quality is feeling the forks by the tines. On the better quality flatware, you feel less roughness around the tines, and the edges of all the pieces.

Another place to try is Royalty Tableware in BP, sometimes you can get a good deal there. 1845 50th St, Brooklyn, NY 11204 Phone:(718) 854-6689

A few years ago, I got the best deals at Overstock.

dats me

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 4:17 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

Wow I am feeling really pleased right now. I checked out this link and found my fleishig set on the list of recommended sets. Oneida Louisiana if anyone's curious. I always liked it , and was thinking of buying a few more settings, now I feel like it would be a good buy if it made their list!

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 4:18 pm
Mevater wrote:
Glad it helped, and btw when I ask a serious question, I also like a serious answer. If someone is going to be "funny" at least let the "funny" be accompanied by serious and helpful.

Another way to determine quality is feeling the forks by the tines. On the better quality flatware, you feel less roughness around the tines, and the edges of all the pieces.

Another place to try is Royalty Tableware in BP, sometimes you can get a good deal there. 1845 50th St, Brooklyn, NY 11204 Phone:(718) 854-6689

A few years ago, I got the best deals at Overstock.

Tnx mevater! These ppl really think I never use plastic? I sure do! On a daily basis. But after bh -- yrs since I got married of shabbosim and yomim tovim Im overdue for a new set. I have one small spoon left. Im figuring that now before yt there will be great deals and want to know what to look for as in quality etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars