Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social Work Schools and the Field

Ms Muggle

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 9:06 pm
I'm looking into going to school to become a social worker. I'm currently in community college in New Jersey and have about 40 credits towards my Bachelors so far. I have a few questions for social workers and/or people in school for social work:
1. Where did you go to school, and would you recommend it? (I'm interested in anywhere in the tri-state area or online. I wouldn't be able to stop working to go to school full-time, but I would travel as long as I could still work part-time.)
2. Does going to a better school impact the kind of job you can get?
3. Are there jobs available or is the field too flooded?
4. What kind of salaries do social workers get?
5. Would you recommend the field in general? Is burnout a big issue? Is it as fulfilling as it sounds like it should be? If you were starting now, would you go back and do it again?

Thanks! Any help is much appreciated.

WaterWoman

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 7:22 am
1. I went to Wurzweiler (Yeshiva U.'s school for social work) and I really liked it (graduated five years ago). A couple of the things I liked best were: they do most of the legwork in terms of finding internships (other schools make you find your own), they have a few different certificate programs if you want to specialize in something, and with very few exceptions, wonderful, warm and kind faculty.
2. I can't say for sure, having only gone to one school, but I strongly advise you to NOT pay tons of extra money just to go to a school for the name-it's not worth it. Choose your school based on the kind of work you want to do.
3. There are always jobs available. Learning about them and pursuing them is the challenge, especially when you are new in the field and don't have any paid experience. Networking is crucial, and start now, even before you begin a masters' program. You never know where your next opportunity will come from.
4. Depends where you work. I work in a non-profit and therefore don't earn a terribly high salary. However, it is possible to earn a decent living as a social worker, though maybe not right away. You might need to put in some time working before you have enough experience to qualify for the higher-paying jobs.
5. Overall, I still believe that this is the field I'm best suited for, and would do it again given the choice. However, social work is a VERY broad field, and encompasses many different kinds of work. The risk of burnout increases if you work in a position that isn't well-suited to your skills and ambitions. It also increases if you don't have proper support and supervision from the people you work with/work for. But yes, it can be tremendously fulfilling.

Hatzlacha to you!

saralem

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 10:01 am
I have been in the field since 1979. Many social workers I know have left the field due to low pay, tough conditions and the consuming nature of the work. That being said, I love what I do and I thank HaShem everyday that I have the privilege to do this work.
I am the head of a good sized department of social workers and have recently hired several staff. Salaries are good in my opinion (55 k and up) but it will never compare with other fields such as law or business. Don't go into this field expecting to make more than an ok living.
On the other hand, if you invest yourself you will be rewarded with a fulfilling career and you will never be bored.

Ms Muggle

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 11:40 pm
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 12:56 am
saralem wrote:
I have been in the field since 1979. Many social workers I know have left the field due to low pay, tough conditions and the consuming nature of the work. That being said, I love what I do and I thank HaShem everyday that I have the privilege to do this work.
I am the head of a good sized department of social workers and have recently hired several staff. Salaries are good in my opinion (55 k and up) but it will never compare with other fields such as law or business. Don't go into this field expecting to make more than an ok living.
On the other hand, if you invest yourself you will be rewarded with a fulfilling career and you will never be bored.

Can I ask you where you work. What type of an agency if you don't want to give a specific agency name Also is Where geographically is the agency ( again general area is fine if you don't want to be specific). Surprised that they are paying starting social workers 55k. I seen starting 35-45 k only !
Thanks

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:56 am
I went to Hunter about 20 years ago, because I wanted a great school for a low price, and got it. BUT- It was very left wing in its approach, and I imagine it's gotten worse. You will need to know when to be quiet when certain social issues are discussed. Arguing isn't worth it- just find your people, and find your rav.

Hunter also was good with internships, including in Jewish agencies and some institutions convenient to the frum community. In general, I was happy with them. When it came to finding jobs, though, I had isssues, because I did not want to work in a school. My experience was that in any other position, nights and Sundays were required, at least at the beginning, and that wasn't possible in my world. The jobs were very much available, though, if I could do that. I remember one in particular from a hospital that paid based on "experience", which they defined as the number of years after you finished school, even if you hadn't been working in those years.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 8:06 am
I went to grad school after getting a bachelors in a different field, but if you are still working towards your undergrad, there is an option to get a bsw and then it will take quicker to get an msw from there.

Re jobs, it really depends where you are located and what type of job you are looking for. You mention you are in NJ - if you are in Lakewood it's harder to get a job in the better paying agencies. You can open a private practice like everyone else, but I really don't recommend in until you are very well trained and experienced. I am one of the few in my class who don't see clients privately yet, and I graduated less than five years ago. Yes you can make a lot more money that way, but it's a disservice to many unaware clients. I unfortunately know too many stories of bad therapy that really damaged people.

Lastly, re burnout - I love the field, but it can definitely be emotionally draining, and you will likely encounter many difficult and devastating scenarios. If you are human it will affect you. Always have great supervision, and I highly recommend being in therapy yourself to really do your own process work, which will make you a much healthier and productive therapist as well as it being essential for your self care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics