Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is this a waste of space? Kitchen plans
1  2  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:48 am

This is my plans so far. Will I regret wasting one wall of the kitchen for the full fridge freezer? I like the modern look of it on its own wall, but will we regret not having a typical u kitchen with more counter space. I am really not sure about the island. I think we should just skip it cause it gives a much more claustrophobiac look.

Opinions please!

mfb

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:03 am
I'm not seeing the pics, not sure if its a problem on my computer or the link

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:07 am
mfb wrote:
I'm not seeing the pics, not sure if its a problem on my computer or the link

Can you see it now? I think I fixed it.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:18 am
Honestly, I hate islands in a kitchen. They always get in my way.
The fridge/freezer really depends on if you will use it or not. And how much counter space you need. Some ppl spread out a lot when they cook and need room, others need less.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:32 am
studying_torah wrote:
Honestly, I hate islands in a kitchen. They always get in my way.
The fridge/freezer really depends on if you will use it or not. And how much counter space you need. Some ppl spread out a lot when they cook and need room, others need less.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will definitely use the full fridge and freezer question is if we should put it on a sidewall and not waste a whole side for it.

Thanks.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:40 am
I have a HUGE island and LOVE it. It's the best part of my kitchen because it's complete uninterrupted counter space. I'd make the island bigger and then not worry about having a full wall fridge. Also put in a good sized sink. Not one of those stupid little ones. My kitchen is maybe 12x 13 and it has more usable counter and cupboard space than kitchens with twice as much floor space. I'll see if I can post a pic

Miri7

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:42 am
It really depends on how much storage space you want/need. I would measure your current space, think about whether you need more or less, and then make sure you have that amount in your current plans. If you don't need extra cabinet room, then keep the fridge where it is. If you realize you need more room, then you may want to move the fridge/freezer. You also might be able to keep the fridge where it is and add some matching cabinets alongside.

Personally, I like islands, as they give extra storage space, use that empty space in the middle of a big kitchen and provide lots of workroom (which I can use). They are also great for putting food out for buffets if you do that kind of hosting often.

Before a chag, I can have my kids "working" at the island to chop vegetables, do baking projects, without getting in my way around the oven and sinks.

I think you plans look great.

ETA: One thing I did notice is that it's a long way across the kitchen from the stove to the far sink. I look at the "triangle" between the sink/fridge/stove when planning my kitchen and try to keep the distances as short as possible. Which is hard when you're fitting two sinks in!

losingweight

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:45 am
Imo the space isn't a very functional space. You're filling it wisely. If you feel the island is too big, make it smaller! Do you have any other place to put a big freezer? If not then You must put it there.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:56 am
A refrigerator/freezer on a wall of it's own is not a "modern" look at all. It's also very dated, if you care about that. I personally think it is silly to essentially "display" a refrigerator/freezer as if it is an heirloom work of art, but if that is what you find appealing, go ahead and do it. I know someone who did, and she has not regretted it at all: she loves it. If you're worried about space, you can do invisible shelving. Another poster pointed out that some individuals need a lot of space when they cook, and some do not: find out which you are and then go from there. Obviously if you want the refrigerator/freezer on wall one and also want a lot of counter space, you would probably need an island (which can be an eat on island too).... Good luck, and regardless of everyone else's taste, I hope that you and your family are happy with the finished product!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:59 am
Miri7 wrote:
It really depends on how much storage space you want/need. I would measure your current space, think about whether you need more or less, and then make sure you have that amount in your current plans. If you don't need extra cabinet room, then keep the fridge where it is. If you realize you need more room, then you may want to move the fridge/freezer. You also might be able to keep the fridge where it is and add some matching cabinets alongside.

Personally, I like islands, as they give extra storage space, use that empty space in the middle of a big kitchen and provide lots of workroom (which I can use). They are also great for putting food out for buffets if you do that kind of hosting often.

Before a chag, I can have my kids "working" at the island to chop vegetables, do baking projects, without getting in my way around the oven and sinks.

I think you plans look great.

ETA: One thing I did notice is that it's a long way across the kitchen from the stove to the far sink. I look at the "triangle" between the sink/fridge/stove when planning my kitchen and try to keep the distances as short as possible. Which is hard when you're fitting two sinks in!

We can move oven to closer to the fridge. The architect just put it anywhere. We will have a second oven and two burnners for milk not sure if over the counter convection or a full one.
My main question is if not having a u kitchen with two corner sinks or corner counters is worth giving up for this look. I have where to put a full freezer maybe even in the laundry room off the kitchen or on the other floor, but its much easier to have everything in the kitchen.

Thanks all for your input. It so helpfull to hear what everyone thinks and why.

mfb

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:02 am
I think fridge is very far from eating table.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:15 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
A refrigerator/freezer on a wall of it's own is not a "modern" look at all. It's also very dated, if you care about that. I personally think it is silly to essentially "display" a refrigerator/freezer as if it is an heirloom work of art, but if that is what you find appealing, go ahead and do it. I know someone who did, and she has not regretted it at all: she loves it. If you're worried about space, you can do invisible shelving. Another poster pointed out that some individuals need a lot of space when they cook, and some do not: find out which you are and then go from there. Obviously if you want the refrigerator/freezer on wall one and also want a lot of counter space, you would probably need an island (which can be an eat on island too).... Good luck, and regardless of everyone else's taste, I hope that you and your family are happy with the finished product!

Thanks for the input. What is invisible shelfing? Sounds interesting.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the input. What is invisible shelfing? Sounds interesting.

Many of the kitchens in this link have invisible cabinets (meant that, not shelving).
http://privatelabelintl.com/em.....hens/

Also, many people are successful without the U shape kitchen. It has to do with what you feel is most appropriate for your needs, physical and aesthetic.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:07 am
The big refrigerator is OK — sounds like you'll use it.

You may want to swap the milk and meat sides. You'll have more flexibility with sink and stove placement with the 2-burner cooktop on the window side.

Is there a separate dining room?

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:13 am
I think your hallway is wasted space.

I definitely wouldn't waste the whole wall on the refrigerator personally.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:19 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
The big refrigerator is OK — sounds like you'll use it.

You may want to swap the milk and meat sides. You'll have more flexibility with sink and stove placement with the 2-burner cooktop on the window side.

Is there a separate dining room?

Yes there is a dining room attached behind the wall where there is the kitchen couch. Yes was planning the side with window for milk because we use that less and when you walk in that side will be hopefully cleaner😊! On the other hand to see the meat side you need to come all the way in. Now thinking about it maybe not, because if we skip the island the only counter space with out anything over your head is by the window! We use meat counters more than milk. So whats more important?

Now should we get rid of the island? Is the space between the counters enough? Maybe a peninsula? Which would leave the most airy look?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:29 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I think your hallway is wasted space.

I definitely wouldn't waste the whole wall on the refrigerator personally.

I agree with the hallway part! But my dh refuses to have everyone walk through the kitchen to get to the back of the house to the bedrooms. Sorry there was no negotiating on that.

mfb

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:35 am
Just curious, you are going to have the kitchen before the dining room, all the way in front of the house?
Also you can leave an opening under the top cabinets over the sink on the side that doesn't have a window. I've seen houses with shorter cabinets there and a little opening to the hallway.
That will also solve the cabinets over your head, (even though overhead cabinets are more set back)

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
Yes there is a dining room attached behind the wall where there is the kitchen couch. Yes was planning the side with window for milk because we use that less and when you walk in that side will be hopefully cleaner😊! On the other hand to see the meat side you need to come all the way in. Now thinking about it maybe not, because if we skip the island the only counter space with out anything over your head is by the window! We use meat counters more than milk. So whats more important?

Now should we get rid of the island? Is the space between the counters enough? Maybe a peninsula? Which would leave the most airy look?

Hmmm, that's a real trek to the dining room. Not great.

The space between the island and wall counters will be about 38" — counters extend beyond cabinets. The stove may extend even farther out, so yes, it starts to get dicey. Moving the stove to the lower left will mitigate the clearance problem.

Airy look? Islands are generally counter height so that shouldn't be a problem. Same with a peninsula if you don't hang uppers above it.

Miri7

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:43 am
amother wrote:

It sounds to me that you are designing your kitchen layout based more on looks than on function - which side will look messier, what will look airy. In my house, the kitchen is the most heavily used work space.

Look at your design and imagine cooking breakfast, lunch, dinner. Walk it through. You say you use meat side the most, but now it's a long shlep to get from meat sink, to fridge, to stove. It's hard to get a meat utensil when cooking on the stove, etc. My MIL gave me this advice to do a walk-through of cooking a meal in my head and it helped me get a better design for how I use my kitchen. I ended up moving everything and am so glad I did!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen