Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Has anyone had a five year old on Tenex aka Intuiv?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:35 am
Title basically says it all. We had our first neuro appointment for 5 year old DS with a fantastic NP who has decades of experience working with ADHD children. She said she likes it combined with more intensive behavior therapy for this age group. Has anyone seen success or failure that can give me some insight?

Thanks!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:39 am
I had a lot of success with Tenex with an older child, who had a lot of Behavioral issues associated with ADHD. It mellowed him out a lot so we were able to then work with him on Behavioral strategies. He did not react well to the stimulants at all, so we stuck with Tenex only. Just so you know, Intuniv is the extended release version, but for us it was not as effective. He did best on the short acting Tenex 2 times daily. Your NP sounds like she is on the right track. Feel free to ask additional questions.

imasinger

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:09 pm
I have 3 kids w ADHD on it. The youngest, who was most prone to explosion, because he also haa an ASD diagnosis, was on it since age 5.

IME, it is mildly helpful in kids to slow down and think before doing something impulsive/aggressive. We fnd it most helpful when combined with an ADHD stimulant, and regular therapy/social skills. It is useful, but doesn't magically make all problems disappear.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:50 pm
Its meant to be coupled with therapy. I think we feel like a stimulant at 5 is a little early.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:31 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Its meant to be coupled with therapy. I think we feel like a stimulant at 5 is a little early.

I agree with this entirely. Many children do very well on the Tenex alone, and I agree that at age 5 there is a much higher likelihood of adverse effects from the stimulants. I hope your medication trial goes well.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:05 pm
My DS was on it (in addition to daytime med for ADHD) and reacted HORRIBLY to it.
He had horrific nightmares and could not wake from them.
We heard him shrieking and tried for several minutes to wake him till successful.
It was clearly linked to the intuniv because it started when the intuniv was added and stopped when the intuniv was stopped.
We later heard from another family who's child was also on this med that their child had the same reaction.
The doctor did not believe us.
The link was clear as the light of day to us.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:59 am
DS takes Intuniv. Started at age 6. He had started on an ADHD med but he was still impulsive. The Intuniv toned down the impulsivity and allows him to function. Without it, his behavior was very unpredictable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)