Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Zara Shabbos dress- advice?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:05 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Also pretty (but I still like mine a lot better, lol). Similar enough to my dress, but also seems to be the same style dress in another print as I purchased two summers ago from Zara (all the frum little girls were wearing it in the large neighborhoods in the tristate area)- it came in a royal blue floral or yellow floral print. I added white grosgrain ribbon but it also shrunk. Is this dress longer than the one in my link?

Taste is individual Smile. I do think the dress I got DD looks a tad longer to begin with, and it also has the hem which tips the scale.

I think Zara has some basic cuts that they reuse with different fabrics. I see they've gotten more choices in this sort of look now as well.

In terms of shrinking ribbon, when you wash it you have to sort of stretch the ribbon by hand for a minute while wet, and then hang it to dry.

lizard8

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:07 am
I haven't been successful with Zara dresses lately. They are too short, and the larger sizes are way too wide. I don't sew, so the alterations add up. Every season I start with their stuff because I like the look and price, but end up sending the box right back.
I love the baby girl stuff, and I am successful there with the boys.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:23 am
kollel wife wrote:
I would buy another dress and use that fabric - I think it's more likely to lie properly- not shrink etc. Since it's a Shabbos dress- wash in cold water and hang don't dry !!!

If you have two daughters - you could probably use one extra dress for both.

I've done that before bought 4 dresses - for three girls - but the dress was just a bit too short. I bought the largest size for the extra dress and add a "tier" to each dress- I got lots of compliments, and I'm not a great sewer.

This is what I am thinking of doing. But that will make each dress $60, plus the alterations and a cardigan. Can someone suggest another sweater or overtop for the dress?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:55 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
This is what I am thinking of doing. But that will make each dress $60, plus the alterations and a cardigan. Can someone suggest another sweater or overtop for the dress?

The dresses will cost close to $100 each by the time you are done with the outfit. I have done this and haven't always been happy with the results. For the bottom to sit properly you need to buy a dress two sizes up (sometimes you can get away with one size up if it's pretty straight/not too aline.) The bottom part of the extra dress needs to be used as the bottom for your older girl's dress, and by the time you're done the leftover might not be wide enough for your younger daughter's dress. I have done this when it worked, and even so, was not always happy with end result.
I suggest you at least shop around at the local shops to see if they have a complete dress with no add ons necessary before you attempt this. At a certain midway point it pays to supplement some of their clothes locally, and when they start wearing adult sizes, you can head back to the general stores.

Just went back to look at your edited links. This specific dress has a center print that would not look good when half is added on the bottom.
I would seriously go with a thick quality eyelet trim like a previous poster suggested, which would still look good even if you have to add a 3 inch version. Go to the Tip Top trimming store, show them the dress r a pic of it, and ask them to help you. Would look better/not so arts n crafty, wouldn't be as costly.
You can use this open cardigan in white and remove the flower if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....36942

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:21 am
Chayalle wrote:
Taste is individual Smile. I do think the dress I got DD looks a tad longer to begin with, and it also has the hem which tips the scale.

I think Zara has some basic cuts that they reuse with different fabrics. I see they've gotten more choices in this sort of look now as well.

In terms of shrinking ribbon, when you wash it you have to sort of stretch the ribbon by hand for a minute while wet, and then hang it to dry.

Yes, I think the dress was the same cut, which is why I will not buy it again. With so many other styles available, why should they wear the same thing again.

Sorry, I meant the dress shrunk, not the ribbon. And when fabric is added to a garment, and the dress shrinks, the whole garment can appear warped.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:25 am
What do you think of this dress? I'm thinking of getting them for my girls including a just 2 yo. Also I am thinking of paring it with a T-shirt instead of a cardigan. Do you think shells are really out? I feel that wearing a sweater in 90 degrees is really off. http://www.zara.com/us/en/kids......html
Anon because I am discussing this irl

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:27 am
Depends where you live. In Lakewood they are still wearing shells/tees, and NOT cardigans. Especially with a sleeveless dress.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
What do you think of this dress? I'm thinking of getting them for my girls including a just 2 yo. Also I am thinking of paring it with a T-shirt instead of a cardigan. Do you think shells are really out? I feel that wearing a sweater in 90 degrees is really off. http://www.zara.com/us/en/kids......html

Nice dress! I want a cardigan for a late September simcha, but of course shells would look nice

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:48 am
ra_mom wrote:

You can use this open cardigan in white and remove the flower if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....36942

Thanks. I like the sweater but prefer color.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:53 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Thanks. I like the sweater but prefer color.

This looks like the right color and length.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....lSrch

farm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 11:58 am
Both Amelia and Chaya dresses so pretty if long enough, but how in the world do you wash them? I hate buying prints on white background because so hard to target stains and keep the background bright white!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:19 pm
Some Shout and a good washing machine.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 12:23 pm
Cold water wash with like colors, hang to dry.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:08 pm
Am I the only one who went to Zara and HATED their clothing. Even the dresses I saw for my dd were so short and fat looking. (Looked like made for real chubby kids nit normal weight ones) personally don't get y ppl r obsessed with the store.

cnc

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who went to Zara and HATED their clothing. Even the dresses I saw for my dd were so short and fat looking. (Looked like made for real chubby kids nit normal weight ones) personally don't get y ppl r obsessed with the store.

Because the quality is quite good for the price most of the time (as compared to local stores), and newsflash not everyone has the same taste as you!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:40 pm
Their merchandise generally has a nice, European-style cut at a lower price.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:06 am
amother wrote:

Updating: I got these dresses for my girls and they fit gorgeous. The size 4 needs a hem for my 2 yo and other girls I got 2 sizes above their regular size. Their dress needs to be taken in at the sides, which is really easy by machine. The length is just perfect. It does have a little more than an inch to get from the hem in plain white.

baltomom

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:19 am
Here's a tip I've discovered when trying to determine the length of a dress from an online picture: For waisted dresses, if the length of the skirt looks about the same as the length of the bodice, it's a very short dress. You need the skirt length to be noticeably longer than the bodice length. With this in mind, you can tell that Chayalle's floral dress is longer than Amelia Bedelia's. They are both beautiful, but IMHO, if the dress is really short, making it tzniusdik is complicated and may not end up looking quite right. $40 is not that cheap if you have to make a lot of alterations....

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
Updating: I got these dresses for my girls and they fit gorgeous. The size 4 needs a hem for my 2 yo and other girls I got 2 sizes above their regular size. Their dress needs to be taken in at the sides, which is really easy by machine. The length is just perfect. It does have a little more than an inch to get from the hem in plain white.

If the length is perfect, keep in mind that you may need to add to the length after a couple of washes (assuming it shrinks in the wash).

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:55 am
And here's my update: after speaking to my seamstress, I determined that it doesn't pay to do all the alterations. She quoted $18 per dress for the fixing, and after the $40 price per dress plus $20 for the extra fabric plus $18 tailoring and $18 for the cardigan, I decided to return the dresses, and repurchase if it's still available when it goes on sale.

Thanks for all your responses!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics