Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How long before do you start packing?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:28 am
when you move locally?

doctorima

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 9:51 am
It depends how much stuff you have and whether you want to start early and slowly do 1 room at a time, or if you're a last-minute person who wants to do it all in a big rush. We probably started about a month or so before.

esther11

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 10:13 am
A lot depends on how much u have. We moved locally and our time frame was something like this: 4 weeks before we organized and threw out as much as we could
3 weeks before we started packing books, shabbos dishes, clothing from storage, etc
2 weeks most clothes and toys, most pots and pans, toiletries except what was necessary for last week
Last week was everything else.

Room by room is advisable but for us that didn't work because we had to live out of our stuff so we packed the excess first then by the second round packed up rooms (we have no family nearby we could go to for supper, a toddler who would not mange without toys, we couldn't afford takeout for a few weeks, etc)

Good luck!

little_mage

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 11:51 am
We're moving at the end of July. We've started packing. I don't yet know if we're moving locally or not, but having some packing done helps remove stress.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:25 pm
We have a lot of seforim so we started with that. It also depends if you work full time or if you will be taking off. I didn't have a lot of free time so we packed a box here, a box there. Clothing isn't really hard unless you have a lot of extras you're not using. I tend to purge periodically so it wasn't too overwhelming. The kitchen was packed the week before leaving out only the most necessary items. Even with all the advance work though it still felt like a last minute rush and there were a lot of odds and ends stuffed into boxes (which we are still unpacking or maybe will dump if never used).

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:38 pm
Start as early as possible, do a little at a time so it's not so overwhelming.
It's always a bigger job than you think it is.
First time we moved I did it slowly over about 4 months, mostly on my own. Last time I moved, we did it together in 4 weeks and it was very tight and overwhelming.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating