Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Great professions for Frum Girls...what are they?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:35 pm
What is a great profession for a smart, hard working girl who is willing to learn any profession that should not take "forever" to finish, makes good Parnassah, field isn't flooded, suitable for a bais Yaakov girl, with potential to do part time, to hopefully be able to raise children IYH, and not too difficult to find a job in?

We are in Brooklyn, and DD prefers a school tat is not co-ed.

Please advise and give input!!

bigsis144

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:42 pm
ha ha lol, doesn't exist Sad

the job market is killing everyone, let alone people who want to make $$ and work on a frum mother's schedule

saw50st8

Nursing

pesek zman

I hope she realizes that the world is co-Ed

doctorima

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:46 pm
PA could be good, but I don't know if Touro's program is coed or not.

cm

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:49 pm
Dental hygiene, it's a two-year degree with good earning potential. Check your local community college. School will be co-ed but with mostly female classmates.

byisrael

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:56 pm
What are her natural strengths?

I really believe that one makes the most money by doing what they are good at - especially because the job market is so tough...

Fox

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:33 pm
byisrael wrote:

I really believe that one makes the most money by doing what they are good at - especially because the job market is so tough...

You guys know my rep for verbosity, so I'll do my best to keep this, um, succinct. Or at least succinct for me.

BYIsrael is absolutely correct. I've worked with a lot of people over the years in career planning and job search, and I'm not one of those pie-in-the-sky types who tells you to "follow your bliss" or whatever. If it wasn't work, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it!

That said, choosing a career based on what's hot right now or what is expected to be hot in a decade is almost always a mistake.

Here's what happens: let's say everyone is making a killing right now in the field of, say, nursing. Salaries are high, job opportunities are plentiful, and employers are flexible with schedules. So tons of people flock to become nurses, and within a few years, you have a glut of nurses. Or new technology eliminates the need for a significant percentage of nurses.

Now, what happens to all those nurses? The ones who really enjoy the field and are happy doing the worlk will probably survive the downturn. Their jobs may change or become less cushy, but their skill and attitude will position them to hang in there until the job market changes or their skills are once again needed.

But what happens to all those people who became nurses because they were told it was a "good job." Those who don't drop out along the educational path become average nurses. They're competent, but their hearts aren't in it, and it shows. And when the job market changes, they're often the first to bail out or find themselves marginalized.

Here's my advice to your DD:

Start by identifying your strengths, skills, and the kind of work you enjoy doing. Talk to people about their jobs and what they actually do all day. Ask them if someone with your skills and personality would likely be successful in their jobs. Think of how you could add value as an employee by acquiring or highlighting unusual skills or qualifications.

Don't dismiss career ideas because of stereotypes or ignorance. I know one woman who makes $100K a year as a secretary and another who earns about the same running in-home playgroups and day care.

Figure out what you would need to rise to the top of the salary scale in any given job. Sometimes it means more education. Sometimes it means certain types of experience. Sometimes it means working for a different type of employer or being a little entrepreneurial.

But don't go into a field because it's a "good job." That's like getting married because someone is a "good boy." He may be a good boy, but that doesn't mean he's good for you!

pointyshoes

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:26 pm
Software developer

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:37 pm
doctorima wrote:
PA could be good, but I don't know if Touro's program is coed or not.

I went there. It is. Also not the best program so I'd stay away from it if possible.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:40 pm
If you are really good at math and logic, computer sciences can be pretty lucrative.

anotherima

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:43 pm
cm wrote:
Dental hygiene, it's a two-year degree with good earning potential. Check your local community college. School will be co-ed but with mostly female classmates.

I heard it's hard to get a job, not so much available.

sky

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:47 pm
software developer\engineer- sometimes have option to work from home.
paralegal - I think that is what it is called - 2 year associate degree, I had a friend work from home at night for an lawer.

Although no job is really great for a busy mother (I'm sure others will disagree):

nurses have 12 hour shifts, shorter hours the pay is not great .
accountants - need to work long hours at first, Pesach is the busiest time of year
software developer - expected to work overtime to complete projects, stress around deadlines

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
I went there. It is. Also not the best program so I'd stay away from it if possible.

Went there too and it was a solid program and well respected at the hospitals.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:52 pm
byisrael wrote:

...AND if I might add, DOING WHAT THEY LIKE!!!!

gold21

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:23 pm
Speech therapy
Occupational therapy
And physical therapy, tho its harder to get that degree, it requires writing a thesis (its doctorate level now)

Great hours
Good money
Plenty of job openings

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:24 pm
Genetic counseling

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:41 pm
Court reporting

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
Went there too and it was a solid program and well respected at the hospitals.

the hospitals I've worked at just laugh at it. It's not even a ranked program.

Happydance

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:45 pm
OT
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics