Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin coming up - NO HAIR

zeifreilich

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:45 pm
My son is having his upsherin in 3 months. He has very very little hair, especially by his peyos area. I'm Chassidish, and don't know what he's gonna have peyos from.
Does anyone know of natural remedies to help his hair grow?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:49 pm
Some kids just don't grow hair well. None of my brothers had any hair before 2.5, so there wasn't anything to cut. A ceremonial snip was taken and that was it. The hair came when it came. I have the opposite problem- 3 sons with the most amazing hair, when the time came, it was such a shame to cut it! What a waste for a boy to be blessed with such hair, lol.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:49 pm
I've heard of using the Haddasim as segula. Boil it in water and apply water to scalp several times a day. I personally didnt have this issue but know others that did it. Did it help? Well, maybe a little but doesnt hurt to try.

zeifreilich

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:19 am
Thanks!
I will try the Haddasim. Just wonder how long it will take to see results...

Stars

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:25 am
Vitamin D

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:38 am
Pusher in isn't Halacha. Whatever happens, happens. Don't try remedies that can have untoward side effects so pick your options wisely...

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:43 am
We used to joke that we would either do the upsherin with nail scissors, or it would be with one of those huge scissors that they use by groundbreaking events, where everyone holds the scissors together for the photo op, one snip and were done LOL

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
We used to joke that we would either do the upsherin with nail scissors, or it would be with one of those huge scissors that they use by groundbreaking events, where everyone holds the scissors together for the photo op one snip and were done LOL

LOL, since my brothers never had hair, my dad used to say he'd make the upsheren at the bar mitzvah. I actually also have an upsheren coming up, I'd be happy to donate my son's hair to op!

bigsis144

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Pusher in isn't Halacha. Whatever happens, happens. Don't try remedies that can have untoward side effects so pick your options wisely...

This. Your cutie is a cutie no matter what Smile

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:25 am
Are you brushing his hair everyday? Brushing the hair helps it grow ( even when theres no hair to brush) .

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:56 am
Have to go anon here bc I'm known in my circle of friends and relatives, in neighborhood, and even among casual acquaintances as the mother of the boys who have NO HAIR. We tried the haddasim thing for a while. It was presented to us as a "segulah" but I later heard it has sth (forgot what by now) that helps for hair growth, so it probably started as a practical solution that came to be known as a segulah. In other words, ingesting Biotin and vitamins good for hair growth would essentially accomplish the same, or be more effective, IF your son's hair wants to cooperate.
We called our son's upsherin a "kappel leigen" Wink and all there was to snip were some longer hairs at the top of his head. He didn't like like a chassidishe boy, and still doesn't really with only tiny wisps for peyos as his hairline is still coming forward on the sides, but he did look adorable. When he stayed by my sister once and her husband took him to shul, a man discreetly inquired whether he is recovering from ... c"v. I'm sure others who don't know me and see me out with him have wondered too.
This child was my first son after several girls. If he would be my first child, maybe I would be upset that he doesn't have the "right look," but at this point, it is what it is and I don't stress about it. My next son is two and also has no hair. In back of my mind I know I should try brushing his "hair" every day and giving him some vitamins, but honestly I doubt it will make much of a difference and life is too hectic to sweat the small stuff. Smile

zeifreilich

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 12:36 pm
Thank you all for your input.
I was going to try the haddasim thing, but then someone told he it has to be from the ones used on Succos. So whether this segulah thing is true or not, I don't have any haddasim from Succos...
Someone mentioned Biotin. Is there any brand that is better than others? And are there any side effects?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics