Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Looking for a pediatric OT in lakewood

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:05 pm
Im looking to hire an OT in Lakewood who is very experienced with school aged children, to work with my child on fine motor skills/handwriting. For various reasons this will be for appx 4 weeks, ideally 2x per week. I will be paying out of pocket. If you are an OT who fit the criteria or if you know of one, please post! We need to start asap.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:16 pm
I'm amother bec I don't like to post that I live in Lakewood (I prefer to maintain anonymity here.)

I work with many therapists and I can recommend some of the top OTs in Lakewood. However, I don't really want to do that because I can assure you that therapists will not want to work with a child for 4 weeks and then terminate with them. It's almost not ethical for a therapist to do that, as significant progress is highly unlikely to be made and maintained within that span of time.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:28 pm
Thank you so much for responding. If you don't mind sharing some names, I would very much appreciate it. There are various reasons why we could only meet for one month, which I will happily explain to the therapist. I myself am a therapist, although not an OT, and am pretty certain that there is no ethical problem treating someone for 8 sessions and then discharging. As long as the therapist is good, she should be able to help. In fact a different child of mine was prescribed six PT sessions at one point by an orthopedist. We saw a very good PT who made significant progress with my child within that time frame. So ethical issues aside, would it be possible for you to share some names? I would greatly appreciate it.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:57 pm
I don't have any recommendations for you, but as an OT I do want to add to the discussion. In this short time frame, the focus of the therapy should be assessment and development and training of a home exercise program for carryover at home. This can be accomplished in the 8 session time frame. It may be a good idea to go back for periodic visits for upgrading/modifying the program.

You should probably look for a therapist who is comfortable using this model.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:29 am
I currently have an excellent OT working with my DD for exactly what you describe - fine motor skills and handwriting. I am paying out of pocket. The OT is under Ruchie Cohn. I paid $250 for the initial evaluation and $65 per session, twice a week.

Depending on the issue your child has and how much OT is needed, I have to tell you that you are dreaming if you think 4 weeks is going to do it. My DD is making great progress B"H - she started in January and they expect her to be done by years end, but I've been told that she has made faster than usual progress. I see a tremendous difference - I can now read the letters she writes me, and she's turning out neater, more legible work - and I'm glad I'm doing this for her.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 6:27 pm
[quote="Chayalle"]I currently have an excellent OT working with my DD for exactly what you describe - fine motor skills and handwriting. I am paying out of pocket. The OT is under Ruchie Cohn. I paid $250 for the initial evaluation and $65 per session, twice a week.

Depending on the issue your child has and how much OT is needed, I have to tell you that you are dreaming if you think 4 weeks is going to do it. My DD is making great progress B"H - she started in January and they expect her to be done by years end, but I've been told that she has made faster than usual progress. I see a tremendous difference - I can now read the letters she writes me, and she's turning out neater, more legible work - and I'm glad I'm doing this for her.[/quote]

Yes, that is a good case in point. Thank you.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 7:19 pm
Leah gross is an excellent ot, her agency is called the therapy place and she has great therapists working for her.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Leah gross is an excellent ot, her agency is called the therapy place and she has great therapists working for her.

She is excellent but she will not be the one to work with your child. You don't know who your therapist will be or how much experience she has when using an agency like that.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:46 pm
Thank you for all your replies. I understand that the issue will not be fixed in a matter of weeks, but due to other factors he can only receive OT for four weeks and would continue later on in the summer. I would like to get started and not wait to begin later because his weakness is causing difficulty in the classroom.

I tried Ruchie Cohen and tried to reach Leah Gross as well. I also called other agencies and therapists but the main problem is that I wasn't able to find anyone who could start right away. There is no point in starting in 3 weeks and have therapy for one week, that much I know :-)

So for now we will have to push it off starting OT till mid summer.

Thank you all for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children