Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Crafts to keep 2 eleven year old girls busy for the summer
1  2  3  Next

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:42 pm
B"H we go to the country for the summer. At this point it seems like my 11 year old dd and my niece will not have a bunk in day camp. I would like to order them crafts and activities that will keep them busy for a while. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm willing to spend a bit more than I normally would because I'm not paying for camp. Any ideas? So far I found some good adult coloring books, but I'd like to find more things.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:45 pm
See if you can come up with projects that take a while to finish like needlepoint, woodworking, baked pottery/plaster from scratch and then painting the items...
They can go through step by step art books and have "art lessons" together. There are wonderful from scratch craft books with nice ideas that can keep them busy throughout.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, May 15 2016, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:47 pm
How how about learning a skill like painting, knitting etc. as opposed to just making crafts?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:49 pm
That's an interesting idea. I have acrylic paints and canvases and brushes and an easel. They would love if I would teach them to paint. I may need to by a few more things- I think I'm out of charcoal- but that's definitely a good idea and the country is the best place to do messy things like that.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:51 pm
I bought dd a small needle point last summer and she never finished it- it was too hard for her, so she made up her own stitch and did part of it her own way. Maybe we'll try a hook rug this year.

mamaleh

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:00 pm
Are you looking for a few 'bigger' projects, or a bunch of smaller ones? Or maybe a combination? Here are a few we like:

*bracelet loom- these are not expensive and there are lots of ways to use them (tons of videos/instruction online). If they get into it they can be busy for a long time (just make sure you get lots of bands). They can make for themselves, as gifts, or even to sell to their friends.

*Washers, nail polish & pretty cording-easy and quick necklaces. Paint the washers with nail polish (if you let it dry, you can add a design) then dry and coat with clear nail polish. Loop the cording through it and you have a great necklace. I got lots of (cheap) nail polish colors and different size washers and they had a blast making necklaces to match their favorite outfits. Again they can make for themselves, their friends & even sell them.

*Duck tape- so many projects you can do

cbg

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:15 pm
Hook rugs are great.
Easy enough to learn, and can keep them busy for hours.

Crochet, easy to learn and they can make many things.
Bracelets, headbands, scarf, hat, blankets,etc.
There are many YouTube video tutorials.

There are easy needlepoints with yarn that take a long time to complete.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:22 pm
I used to know how to crochet, about 95 years ago when I was a kid. That may be a good idea too.

I think some big projects and some small would be good variety. They love duct tape.

What are washers?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:31 pm
Washers
http://www.walmart.com/ip/2074.....h=sem

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:04 pm
How about scrapbooking?

losingweight

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:18 pm
Paint by number
Puzzles. There are gorgeous ones that you can glue when it's done and have them mounted on wood.
Crochet
Any succah decoration. There are beautiful velvet and sequin/bead kits available in craft stores like scribbles.
Succah stars. Kits are sold in toy stores and judaica stores.
Gardening. Plant things right when you get there that can grow by the time you leave.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:20 pm
Are you near a beach? You can go to collect seashells. Then you put them in a glass bowl for a centerpiece.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:29 pm
You can take craft books out of the library like paper crafting, origami, pop up cards...

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:38 pm
One day when my kids are older.. this is on my to do list.

But I guess not all girls would go for it.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Outdo.....02706

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:35 pm
If they have enough patience I vote for learning a skill, and interspersing that with short term craft projects. Perhaps you can come up with a few ideas of things you know how to do well enough to teach (or at least well enough to give a bit of guidance to a beginner) and let them choose the one that interests them. You've mentioned crocheting, charcoal drawings, and painting, all good ideas.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 8:40 pm
There were lots of great suggestions, but here are a few more:
Exercise
Lanyards
Lego

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:10 pm
Thanks. You guys have given me some good ideas.

seeker

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:24 pm
Hookrugs and needlepoints are too boring for me. Same move over and over. And over and over. And you need to do it over and over sooooooo many times in order to make anything. Knitting is also repetitive (you can't go to more interesting stitches right away) but it goes faster, I think. At least I had enough attention span to make a small something knitting more than the other things.

I didn't know you paint! We all know you write Smile

At 11 I think they are old enough that they can initiate an idea (with your approval, of course.) Maybe in the first week of summer while the other kids are in camp you can take them to WalMart or to a craft store and let the selection inspire them. That can be activity #1. You can either set a budget and let them figure it out, or you can simply reserve veto power and be involved in the decision making - depends on their ability to figure out things like this. Good beginning exercise in teamwork, deciding on a project.

Do they like cooking/baking/food decorating? Those are always good activities for keeping busy, learning skills, and coming out with something useful (as opposed to painting pet rocks and other classic camp activities that prompt existential questions like "how long do we need to keep this?")

N'sMom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:41 pm
I like idea of them learning a new big skill too, but you still probably want to break it up with smaller projects as well. Either visit a Michaels or go online to Oriental Trading co. They sell things like picture frames, little boxes, baseball caps, tote bags, etc etc that can be decorated with paint and beads. You can also get fabric paint and inexpensive tee shirts. They are just the right age for baking too. This could turn out great!

Helani

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 10:10 pm
How about knitting (or sewing, if you have access to a sewing machine). One of my girls used to make baby hats for all newborn siblings in her class using a knitting loom. Also, if they are bored enough this might be a great time for some workbooks (math or language or anything else you can think of).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children