Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ChickenPox in Brooklyn Kids sent home
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ema of 5

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Here we go again.

I'm not getting involved in the debate, but why is the "guard your health" side of the debate more here we go again than the "do it because the doctors said so" side?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:37 pm
chaiz wrote:
That is not true. Often enough, chicken pox is just a very annoying and uncomfortable period of time. But for too many children there are complications and there are deaths due to chicken pox.

As for the religious exemption being a lie--for starters those who believe it is in the best interest of their health it is absolutely NOT a lie. They are taking care of their bodies as commanded by God as they understand it. Besides, even if you don't buy that argument there is no law prohibiting practicing two religions. They don't have to claim it's part of judaism.

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:40 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Who's they?

if the board of ed questions a religious exemption, any medical reasons renders it invalid. so those of us who have this exemption, try to stick to those reasoning. and when talking to medical professionals I just say its against MY religious beliefs. not against all of Judaism but my personal belief. and thats a perfectly acceptable reason.

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
I am a doctor in my 30's. I have already encountered 2 adult chicken pox patients. One, a frum woman in her 20's died when the virus attacked her lungs (varicella pneumonia), the other, a man in his 30's was in the ICU and then the hospital for almost 6 months (and then rehab) and needed extensive skin grafting and surgeries to repair the damage done to his skin.

the woman who died, died soley because of varicella? or combined with another diesease?

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:43 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Maybe so but its a lie. And it misrepresents Judiasm to the world at large.

it does not misrepresent anything. just like me wearing a skirt and you pants etc. I have one belief you have another.

self-actualization

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:47 pm
So stupid. Everyone should vaccinate so that you and your kids and your community don't get sick.

And I need to sit here at work being the pariah because I am affiliated with a community where people are too stupid to vaccinate.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
I got that information from Dr Sears book. Will have to check for the source later.

As for the religious exemption being a lie--for starters those who believe it is in the best interest of their health it is absolutely NOT a lie. They are taking care of their bodies as commanded by God as they understand it. Besides, even if you don't buy that argument there is no law prohibiting practicing two religions. They don't have to claim it's part of judaism.

Since when is Judaism about our personal interpretation of the Torah? Are rabbis from some communities telling their followers not to vaccinate and that's why they are claiming religious exemption?

chaiz

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
I got that information from Dr Sears book. Will have to check for the source later.

I would like to see a source for that. It is just not true that all children are fine with it. Most are, but not all.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:56 pm
self-actualization wrote:
So stupid. Everyone should vaccinate so that you and your kids and your community don't get sick.

And I need to sit here at work being the pariah because I am affiliated with a community where people are too stupid to vaccinate.

Maybe you're the stupid one for being part of that community.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:18 pm
I've posted this before. My friend makes a seudas hoda'ah every year because she nearly died from chicken pox when she was 3 years old.
She was in a coma, hospitalized for months and had to learn how to walk again afterwards because the chicken pox caused encephalitis.
During the same year two other girls her age died from chicken pox caused encephalitis.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:31 pm
Does anyone know if all the children who caught the chicken pox in this outbreak were unvaccinated?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone know if all the children who caught the chicken pox in this outbreak were unvaccinated?

No, plenty of vaccinated kids had it too.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:47 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Since when is Judaism about our personal interpretation of the Torah? Are rabbis from some communities telling their followers not to vaccinate and that's why they are claiming religious exemption?

Everyone practices based on their own interpretation of torah but this isn't about interpretation of torah it's about interpretation of taking care of your health.

Signed,
A health care provider living with permanent side effects of a vaccine for a disease I was at no risk of catching (and not because it was erradicated)

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:55 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Yes, there are some rabbis that do say not to. the religious exemption is based on your own religious belief, not judiasm as a whole. You have to prove to the dept of health using religious texts that it's against your own religious belief and that it's a sincere belief. According to the law, It's based on just that, your interpretation of the religious texts. It doesn't have to be against judiasm. If it did, don't you think the DOH would realize that most Jews vaccinate?

suremom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:00 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

whats so hard to understand? in order for my child to be in school without vaccinating, I need to provide a religious exemption. with my beliefs. not yours, not my rabbis not anyone. thats a religious exemption. what I believe! thats the law.

Maybe

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:

the report says about 20% were fully vaxxed

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:03 pm
chaiz wrote:
I would like to see a source for that. It is just not true that all children are fine with it. Most are, but not all.
I edited my post because I just reviewed the chapter on chicken pox and I'm not finding that part. I'm fairly certain it is somewhere in the book but I don't have time to read the whole thing right now and don't want to misquote it.

Some facts I'm reading now:

Know severe reactions to vaccine: pneumonitis, a severe inflammatory reaction in the lungs that causes respiratory difficulty and may require intensive medical care was reported to occur at a rate between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 test subjects.

Post Marketing Surveillance: ITP, neurological reactions including encephalitis, stroke, spinal cord inflammation and dysfunction, Guillain-Barre syndrome, facial nerve paralysis, dizziness, lack of coordination, seizures without fever, meningitis, pneumonia, severe skin reactions including Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Henoch-Schonlein purpura, bacterial skin and tissue infections and herpes zoster (aka shingles).

So the severe reactions mentioned here are side effects of the vaccine too.

Also quoted from his book:
"virtually all cases pass without severe complications. About 1 in 65,000 cases is fatal and we have between 2 and 10 fatalities each year in the United States" (about the disease, not the vaccine)

Maybe

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:04 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

http://enrichedparenting.org/h......html

Enjoy the quiz http://enrichedparenting.org/v......html

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
No, plenty of vaccinated kids had it too.

If vaccinated kids can get it, they can also spread it just as well. Here's where I don't understand how people can keep blaming the unvaccinated for this.

Maybe

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:14 pm
http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-a......aspx

CPox vax, 14 deaths in 4 years, how many unreported ?

Between March 1995 and July 1998, the federal Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) received 6, 574 reports of health problems after chickenpox vaccination. That translates into 67.5 adverse events per 100,000 doses of vaccine or one in 1,481 vaccinations. About four percent of cases (about 1 in 33,000 doses) were serious including shock, encephalitis, thrombocytopenia (blood disorder) and 14 deaths
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics