Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Children's advil vs. Tylenol

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:56 pm
My daughter has been running a fever and vomiting so I have been giving her advil for the fever. The pediatrician said she could be throwing up because of the advil and I should probably switch her to tylenol. My daughter always takes advil and has never had a problem. I have been giving her a slightly larger dose of the advil because I have been measuring it out by age, not weight. My daughter is 6 and weighs 39.5 pounds. Based on age, its 2 tablespoons. Based on weight, its 1 1/2 teaspoons. I hsve been giving her 2 teaspoons. The pediatrician said that 2 is a little too much. I then spoke to a pharmacist who said that you should always measure by weight, not age. I have always measured by age. Could it be that my daughter is vomoting because I am giving her too much?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:04 pm
You certainly should be giving based on weight. The dose is measured by her body's ability to process it. If she is small for her age, she should get a smaller dose.

She is likely vomiting due to the fever. I doubt giving her tylenol instead of advil would make a difference here. There are some pediatricians (Dr Shanik in Lakewood, for one) who are more into tylenol than advil and they push it. This could be the reason your doctor is suggesting tylenol. My sister is a pediatrician and she has told me that the vomiting is usually due to the fever.

I keep suppositories in my fridge for these occasions. If the child cannot hold down the fever reducer, the suppository helps to bring it down without inducing vomiting. Not my kids' favorite thing, but it works when needed.

cm

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:45 pm
Always dose based on weight.

It is true that NSAIDS can cause GI upset, even if well-tolerated previously (I used to be able to take ibuprofen, but not any more).

Be careful about Tylenol dosage. It is easier on the stomach, but can cause other side effects if overdosed.

Also, use a measuring spoon or cup intended for use with medicine. The teaspoons or tablespoons in your silverware drawer may not be the right size.

And please double-check if you are supposed to be giving teaspoons or tablespoons. There is a discrepancy in your post which is probably just an auto-correct typo, but still.

I hope your daughter is feeling all better soon!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:52 pm
cm wrote:
Always dose based on weight.

It is true that NSAIDS can cause GI upset, even if well-tolerated previously (I used to be able to take ibuprofen, but not any more).

Be careful about Tylenol dosage. It is easier on the stomach, but can cause other side effects if overdosed.

Also, use a measuring spoon or cup intended for use with medicine. The teaspoons or tablespoons in your silverware drawer may not be the right size.

And please double-check if you are supposed to be giving teaspoons or tablespoons. There is a discrepancy in your post which is probably just an auto-correct typo, but still.

I hope your daughter is feeling all better soon!

Oops, yes I meant to write teaspoons and I have been using the measuring cup that came with the advil. My motherboard to give me medicine using her silverware spoons she never used a dosing cup. I grew up thinking that was the normal way of administering meds. I always use the dosing cup that cones with the medicine. I have been dosing based on age, though, I guess I was wrong.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 2:58 pm
Chayalle wrote:
You certainly should be giving based on weight. The dose is measured by her body's ability to process it. If she is small for her age, she should get a smaller dose.

She is likely vomiting due to the fever. I doubt giving her tylenol instead of advil would make a difference here. There are some pediatricians (Dr Shanik in Lakewood, for one) who are more into tylenol than advil and they push it. This could be the reason your doctor is suggesting tylenol. My sister is a pediatrician and she has told me that the vomiting is usually due to the fever.

I keep suppositories in my fridge for these occasions. If the child cannot hold down the fever reducer, the suppository helps to bring it down without inducing vomiting. Not my kids' favorite thing, but it works when needed.

Is there a reason why some doctors push tylenol over advil?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a reason why some doctors push tylenol over advil?

Yes there is. There have been lawsuits against advil and lots of bad press.....don't even remember what they are supposed to have caused. Some old school doctors are still against advil, motrin, etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children